• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wait... hunger?!

TR_Wolf

(just call me Adam)
I had my gastric sleeve op 3 days ago, and stuck well to the liver reduction diet before it (lost 1 stone 1 lb), but now I've had the surgery, I still have that hunger trigger, and don't feel as restricted as people seem to be!

I'm hungry right now, but today have had a couple of cups of tea, some glasses of no-sugar Vimto, a Muller Lite yogurt, a very small bowl of soup and a very small bowl of sugar-free jelly!!

The thing is, I feel like I could quite easily go and get sandwich or something :/

I guess I just feel hungry (which is angering, as I was hoping it'd remove my hunger trigger), but Mr Ammori recommends THREE weeks of a liquid diet, which frankly I think is going to drive me insane :(

I can't help wondering what would happen if I just start eating normally but in very small sensible amounts... I WON'T do it, don't worry, but I can't help but wonder, you know?

Dear me, I'm failing already! :(

If you think about it, you probably are just genunely hungry after near starvation from pre-op and then a huge shock to your system with all your plumbing being rearranged!

At this point for any of us, your main focus is healing rather than proper weight loss. Have an extra liquid meal rather than let yourself get so hungry you are tempted to have something that your body is not ready for just yet.

I know this is the boring bit !

So extra soup, protein shake etc maybe every three hours or so to stop you flagging and rev your metabolism out of starving mode xxx

Hope you're taking things easy :)

aww bless ye, i felt the same im 2 weeks post op and felt so hungry for a ham sandwich but the consiquence really does scare me so i wont, prob harder for you as im a gastric bypass patient and im allowed puree food where as your on the liquid diet. alls i can say is good luck and try and think positive and just think of the outcome at the end when you are able to eat healthy and feel great. :)

Don`t be daft TR - your not failing already, neither will you.

You are bound to start feeling that your hungry; but your team have kept you on a liquid diet for 3 weeks for a reason.

Sometimes we think we`re hungry, because in the past we just ate so often and did`nt really think whether we were hungry or not, it was just the `habit` that caused us to eat so much.
When you feel hungry (and you probably think it won`t make any difference) have half a litre or more of water or s/f juice, sometimes we think we are hungry when in fact its in our head and not our stomach.

Your pouch will only allow very small amounts of food when you do start on solids again; and everything will have to be chopped finely and taken in small mouthfulls as well as being well chewed so you don`t make yourself sick - or worse.

You may think you could handle a sandwhich, but you may find it difficult to handle the consistency to start with, let alone the filling!

Are you now on soft foods, like finely mashed potato & gravy, or scrambled eggs etc; these might be a little more satisfying to you than just plain liquids.

Just take it easy and be patient hun x

Love Kat x

Nah, as I only had my surgery on friday, Im on the liquid diet for the NEXT three weeks.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement though :)

I added grated cheese to my soups, hot liquids etc which gave me extra protein & made me feel fuller if that makes sense....

Make sure everything you are eating is as protein rich as you can get at this stage as that really does help you stay fuller for longer, I constantly checked the protein contents of soups etc

Sugar free jelly won't fill you up, try & think of that as a drink rather than food!

HTH. x

Hi ya tr
I felt the same and thought I would have no restriction but I have now 3 months later I hardly eat anything now in fact I've been told to try and eat abit more but find it difficult
Please don't feel disheartned it will get better I'm now 3 1/2 stone lighter which is a mirical
Good luck on your weight loss journey u will be fine xx

You're not a failure - its only been a few days and you just need time to adjust. You've had a few really good bits of advice there but I'm pre-op so can't really advise. Maybe you need something to do take your mind off it a bit - maybe do some puzzles, suduko or something? Knitting - only joking. Just give it some time and don't let me hear you say the word failure again - keep you eye on the prize and you'll get there x

while having liquids, youll feel like you can have loads. I remember thinking wow, this is alot of liquid. But as soon as you move onto mushy food, youll start noticing that it doesnt take as much to make you feel full. And when you finally move onto solids, you will really feel the restriction.

At the moment i can manage the equivalent of 3 fish fingers (im 2 months post op). When i eat 'wet' foods (like say lasagne, shepherds pie) it feels like i can manage more.

Rememeber you're on liquids while your stomach is healing - i kept thinking of it all sewn up and raw whilst going through the liquid and mushy stage! It helped me get through!

Good luck and stick with it!

x

snap im four days post banding, and feel hungry all day, but didnt think a simple bowl of soup could taste so nice. my brain is still smelling all the nice foods i used to eat so its a struggle to sit n watch my family eat a roast dinner whilst i drink fluid. but once i see my weight fall i think it will be worth it.

Have more soup,I survived on chicken,tomato and lentil soups.Trust me you might think you could eat but you wont cos you cant!It doesnt last forever and this is the optimum time for losing weight,keep the fluids up.I found a milky coffee warming and filling.Maz x

I get hungry (I'm bypass not band) but I find that I can't even manage a full cup of tea and can barely eat a saucer full of mashed food. I'm pleased about this but I do get hungry.
I had some soup for lunch, leek and potato and even though i squished it all up I still had loads of pain as it was going down and it took me two hours to recover from it. I also had a little bit, a very little bit of bread in it.
I am just going to have some whizzed pears with low fat custard on them for my evening meal. I can eat a whole whizzed pear and with just a half of one of those miniature tubs of low fat custard on it.
I'm hungry now even after having had discomfort after my lunch.
Funny tummy!!
Lynne x

hi tr wolf... ive had a sleeve a week today, isnt it strange how hospitals differ im allowed puree so at min im finding it ok, like porridge, soups,yog, custard etc ive to do this for 4 weeks, then mashed for 2....... hows things?.....

Back