• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long?

tashaliza

hi everyone,

i've been reading the posts with interest as it seems that loads of people are having their bypasses and bands at the moment..... i have been waiting for nearly a year and i'm not very far forward :cry:
i was really wondering how long roughly it took you all from first appointment to bypass or band?
how many times did you have to see everyone?

so far i have seen an endocrinologist once, a dietitan once, a activity councellor (to try and get you exercising), and i'm waiting to see the endocrinologist again, :eek: and i'm still not on the waiting list and i haven't even been put forward for funding yet.
does this seem like a drawn out process to anyone else, or is this normal? :confused:
thanks for helping tasha xxx

It will be around the 12 month mark for me. I'd chase yours if i was you xx

I only started this journey in August last year, first appointment with my GP asking for surgery till my operation which was supposed to be last wednesday (cancelled due to snow). I've seen the surgeon twice, seen the endocrinologist once, seen a psych and got funding straight away.

I think it all depends on your circumstances, how much you weigh, if you have any underlying health problems etc.

I first asked my GP to refer me in June 2009, I have got my last pre-op on 13th April so hopefully should have my op in May so around 11 months.

I think it all depends on your PCT but I would defiantly chase it up :0) good luck

Hi there, as I am also in Cornwall, I can tell you it is quite a lengthy process. I have been turned down twice for funding, once by the special case review board at Taunton, then by the PCT last year. It has been nearly four years for me, but don't worry, as they have now started doing bands at Treliske, and also they seem to be approving more for bypasses at Taunton you may be lucky. I saw Dr Pinkney year before last, 2008, after waiting nearly two years for the process to be set up at Truro, he put me forward, but the PCT turned me down. My doctor referred me to him again last year 2009, and he has applied for funding again, but am just hoping they will agree this time. Any other questions, please ask me xxxx

thanks for all the replies, there seems to be a huge difference across the country and cornwall seems to be really slow in all their decisions.
fingers crossed that they will pull their finger out soon :)
tasha xxx

HI

I am in Essex,Its been about nine months and since then I seen endocrine 3 times, weight loss management, psych and due to see surgeon Friday for an answer.
Good luck on your weight loss journey

All the best - MeJulie x x

All the

I saw the weight loss doctor at the diabetes clinic in around July-September 2008 and was told that I could apply for surgery, she wrote to my gp asking him to refer me and he wasnt very good with it so I had to make some calls etc to get it moving. I was referred to weight loss management in the community (I had already done half of one of those that was cancelled) and had to do 10 weeks of group meetings with the dietician and in the same 10 weeks had to go to the gym twice a week. After that the dietician from the group decided that I had done enough and referred me on to the bariatric dietician. I went to see her and she told me that I had to 'be in the system' for 12 months and so had another 10 months to wait, in which time I would see the bariatric dietician every six weeks or so and when it was coming to the last month or so I saw the psychologist, once that was done and we had gotten to the 12 months they all put their reports in and the only real hold up I had was my gp dragging his heels for a week or so (more phone calls from me and the dietician) and then they sent it off to the pct, almost a week later I got a letter saying that I had funding for the initial appointments, that would have been September...got my appointment through with the surgeon, saw him in October and he said yes and that my surgery would be 16 days later but wasnt sure of dates, I think it was either the next day or the day after I got a call asking me to go in for my pre-op as my surgery was two weeks later...and it was, I had it on October 29th 2009.
It all went very quickly at 'the end' and that makes me forget the 12+ months before that and the 3 years before that when I asked for a referral and was told that it wasnt worth my time.
I pray that your journey takes off very quickly and that you suddenly get everything sorted and under way.
Good luck hon xx
Steph xx

Hi
I am in Salford its been 20 months from referral to surgery tomorrow x

I was really lucky - it was 6 months from referal to operation and it was only that long becasue I waited for the op in Oct half term (could have been a month and a half earlier). I only saw the surgen for 10 mins and had no other appointments to attend.

I am under Glasgow PCT and asked my Doc for referral at end of september 09. Met with consultant 22nd Oct, heard i was on list and got my date 20th Nov, op on 9th Feb 10.

However, I had already done all the meds in previous years, and had been attending the weight management service from earlier in the year.

Move up here its faster ;)

I got referred in June and saw the consultant in Sept, would of had my surgery this month but my surgeon had surgery so am having my surgery in 7 weeks time, so will be 9 months for me.
Like everyone has said each pct/hospital is different but what i will def tell you is pls dont sit and wait for them to contact you, chase up for funding, when they say they have sent of your funding app give it 7/10 days then call the funding dept of your pct to make sure they have def got it and its being dealt with and the same for all your appointments make sure ur team know who you are so they can not forget about you.
Hope u have a smooth journey, take care xx

hello please be patient its quite a long process your not out of the ordinary i waited 19 months from begining to end my advice to you is keep pushing dont let the doctors sit on it keep badgering

My initial consultant has forgotton me so many times now I have had to make two formal complaints to the CEO of our local hosp. It's frustrating but I hope it will all lead to a positive end.xx

I seem to have been one of the lucky ones. I was referred by my GP at beginning of July, got my first appointment with dietician and surgeon's registrar at the end of July (a whole day at the hospital, then got a call in November so say my operation was on 4 December. Didn't see a psych, endoctrin or weight loss expert. Don't know whether it is because I was relatively small to start (15 stone). I'm with Homerton and funding seemed to be automatic. I think being diabetic helped.

I did 1year weight loss with obesity clinic. They applied for funding to the exceptional cases team as I didn't meet the criteria. I am still waiting 13months later for funding. Hopefully Thursday of this week they will agree to it. I had one appt at the hospital where I hope to have the surgery in December but can't have any more appts until funding is in place. Then told it should be within 6 months although someone on here said it might be more like 9 months. Good luck with your journey.

wow!!!! there seems to be such a difference between pcts it mad!!!!
some people have to wait years for their wl op and some seem to get an op after 3-4 mths......
anyway however long you have to wait i hope you all manage to get there eventually. love tasha xxx

my sister is in Cornwall, and she's been going about 6-9 months now, they really don't rush themselves down there, she complains about it, but what will be will be she says, she's seen the excercise guy, the surgeon too i believe, but they do like you to do the weight management clinic for a fair while, i understand it can be 12-24 months in total....me?? i was less than 12 months from GP to surgery, co morbidities and my sheer weight pushed the scales in my favour ;)

Back