• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Want to try to lose weight before surgery

janeynic

Hi all, I'm thinking of going on Exante, to try to lose weight for the summer as i have a wedding to go to and my knees and back are crippling me at the moment. Do you think this will affect whether the nhs would still do a bypass on me, (if by some miracle I lost weight and got below 40 on my bmi). I have pre diabetes and osteoarthritis. Even if I did lose a few stone I've never kept it off for long and the Dr said it would be Christmas at the earliest before it was done.

I can't really comment on the regulations around surgery however think that the motivation of trying before is a good thing?!

I agree with beep,if you can self motivate then that as to be a good thing! Wishing every luck in the world!

Id just check with your team some take your starting weight but have read of some being refused due to going under the threshold with loosing weight although it might be 35 bmi with co morbidities in line with NICE guidelines Well done for having the motivation to try and good luck Xx

Hi hun.
I did my pre op diet for two weeks instead of 5 days and by doing so I lost a stone pre surgery. I checked with my provider and surgeon and they were fine. But do check first x x I used weight to go products x

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've emailed the bariatric nurse at Shrewsbury today to ask as a few of you suggested. My BMI is 47 so I think I'll be unlikely to go below the threshold (which I believe is 35 in my case as I have medical conditions).

I can always stop if they say not to do it. So far the diets been ok, bar a few palpitations! lol! Think it's my body telling me I need more food, but I'll have to get used to less calorific intake when I have the bypass so I'm just going to carry on for now. I'm doing total solution but have decided to have half of one of their chocolate wafer thingy's as well as a snack at night otherwise I might cheat without that evening snack to stop my craving. I have done the diet before, and had palpitations then so I know what I'm in for.

Unfortunately as I'm only just starting this journey I'll probably put any weight I lose back on (and more) before I am due to have the bypass, as they said it will take around a year from now, Christmas if I'm very very lucky, which normally I'm not!

Anyway i'll keep you posted with my progress - thanks again

I've heard back from Shrewsbury today and she said to go ahead with the diet. The more weight I lose, the easier it will be for the consultant to do the operation. Yay now all I have to do is lose it. I have till the 11/08/16 so hopefully on exante can lose quite a bit by then.

Hi Mustangsally

The first 3 days are the hardest, and you need to drink loads to keep headaches at bay (I stick to cold water). I don't have the milkshakes (its not that I don't like some of them, its just for convenience), so I need to drink more water with each meal.

I did the diet a few years ago for a month and lost about 1 1/2 stone but I struggled then with just the three meals a day on total solution, so I've been a little naughty and made up my own diet for the time being.

I am having my 3 meals on total solution and then I'm having a pack of chocolate wafers (which are really nice) as an early evening snack. This adds an extra 200 calories a day, so I'm not sure if I will go into Keytosis, which would give me better weight loss. I only started on Monday so if I don't think it's working by next week I will go back to the three meals a day.

Is it total solution you will be doing, and can you have bars as well as shakes?

My favourites on the diet are:
Banana milkshake, Chocolate milkshake (I sometimes blended these with the required amount of water and ice in them - which gave you a similar effect to mcdonalds milkshakes). My daughter liked the vanilla and strawberry
Double Chocolate bars
Chocolate Orange bar
Chocolate Mint Cookie (can you see a theme!)
My daughter liked the Peanut Butter Bar, she said it tasted like reeces chocolates.

Hope this helps
Jane x

Back