• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss before surgery

Nanny Og

I have an appointment to see a bariatric surgeon in March.
Obviously I need to lose weight but was wondering if I lose say 20lb between now & then would it jeapordise my chances of surgery.
The reason for surgery is medical and the fact that, yes I can and have lost weight by watching what I eat but the problem is I end up putting it all back and then some.
Losing 20lb would leave my BMI at 38.1

I have an appointment to see a bariatric surgeon in March.
Obviously I need to lose weight but was wondering if I lose say 20lb between now & then would it jeapordise my chances of surgery.
The reason for surgery is medical and the fact that, yes I can and have lost weight by watching what I eat but the problem is I end up putting it all back and then some.
Losing 20lb would leave my BMI at 38.1

I lost a total of 5.5 stone before my operation, as long as they have agreed it at the start, you should still get your surgery.

Hi nanny most surgeons want you to loose weight to show your committed. So try not to worry and keep at it because the way they look at it the smaller you are the easier to operate. X

What is your bmi requirement for your area?See your surgeon before you start losing as they could say your bmi is too low!

My bariatric physician said it goes on the weight you were when you were referred. But, it is best to check with your own team.

Good luck with everything though :)

I waited until i had seen the surgeon, he asked me to try to lose 10% if i could, hard work this time and im getting very down with it :(

I waited until i had seen the surgeon, he asked me to try to lose 10% if i could, hard work this time and im getting very down with it :(

(((hugs))) I hope it gets a bit easier for you. How long have you got left to lose it and how is it going?

My op is Jan/Feb but im seeing the dietician on 15th dec and really wanted to have lost it by then !
Im getting myself so het-up, silly i know.

Stress never seems to help weight loss. Seems to make our bodies stubborn lol

I think you can do it :)

I also was concerned as lost a HUGE amount of weight (1/2 my body weight in six Months !!! :):):)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9357000/9357514.stm)

I spoke to the surgeon along the journey (wrote to him so got a reply back in writing). I was told there is no problem as I had already had funding approved and any weight I could lose would be a great benefit. Unfortunately I could not maintain, but at least I am a great deal lighter than at start of journey.

I am not sure of the situation if you lose weight between being referred and being approved, as Big an Bouncy say’s would check the BMI requirements for your area (they are all different despite NICE’s recondition) . I would be nervous about going below that figure until you have either been approved for funding or your surgeon say’s its OK.

Suspect you will have plenty of time left once you are on the waiting list...

re bbc link.

I also was concerned as lost a HUGE amount of weight (1/2 my body weight in six Months !!! :):):)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9357000/9357514.stm)

I spoke to the surgeon along the journey (wrote to him so got a reply back in writing). I was told there is no problem as I had already had funding approved and any weight I could lose would be a great benefit. Unfortunately I could not maintain, but at least I am a great deal lighter than at start of journey.

I am not sure of the situation if you lose weight between being referred and being approved, as Big an Bouncy say’s would check the BMI requirements for your area (they are all different despite NICE’s recondition) . I would be nervous about going below that figure until you have either been approved for funding or your surgeon say’s its OK.

wow weee pizaman what a differance i have just clicked on to your bbc link and read your story. lighter life really has helped you along with your determanation and exercise you have really truely come a long way. great work.:D

can i ask you a personal question?????
do you think you need surgery now???:confused:

totally amazing! well done :) xxx

YES!

If I had maintained then I think I would have cancelled the operation, but.... In 10 months I have put 7 stones back on.... (still 9 stones less than I was!)

You probably think I gave up, but I have continued to try both with food and exercise (inc cycling Lands end to John O'Groats in 6 days!!).

I am really good and doing things to the extreme but moderation has always been my problem.

Did you play the video? Unbelievable transformation in 6 mouths, people who knew me well genuinely did not recognize me (stopped wearing glasses (contacts), shaved my beard and changed my hairstyle to add to the fun:))

Back