• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Was this wrong ????

Was I wrong to put a piece of cake in the freezer for when I finish my milk diet

• Yes I was wrong, I shouldn't be in this mindset

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No it's fine to have something to look forward too

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes it was wrong/not ideal but I would have done the same

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Bling Babe

Hi all
I just wanted to ask opinions on something..... I'm on day 14 of my initial 28 day milk diet, the one that helps lose 5% and ensures we are able to cope with high protein diet, not the pre op milk diet, I have stuck to it 100% and haven't even so much as licked a spoon of anything other than milk.....today one of our patients at work laid on a beautiful vintage afternoon tea for all the staff which consisted of lovely sandwiches and cakes, there was an amazing looking chocolate cake and I decided I would take a small slice home to put in the freezer to enjoy in a couple of weeks time.......... Was I wrong to have done this ??????

There should be a third option - "yes you were wrong/ it is not ideal - but it is what I would have done too!"

I guess it depends what your overall diet goes back to. If you are sticking to a healthy eating plan, then a small piece of cake is fine. Everything in moderation.

However, if you are going back to "normal" not so healthy eating, depending on what your eating issues are (large portions/ wrong foods/ take-aways/ binging) then that might not be so good.

However, you also say small slice of cake - on bad days in the past I have been known to eat a whole M&S Victoria sponge, so a small slice is nothing!

I think the thing is not to get too hung up on it and focus on it too much. If you want it after the diet then have it, but we do need to get out of the mentality of using food as a treat - I struggle with this a lot!

No nothings wrong ..you can still enjoy a little piece of cake .... pre op I would have eaten the whole cake !!!

There should be a third option - "yes you were wrong/ it is not ideal - but it is what I would have done too!"

I guess it depends what your overall diet goes back to. If you are sticking to a healthy eating plan, then a small piece of cake is fine. Everything in moderation.

However, if you are going back to "normal" not so healthy eating, depending on what your eating issues are (large portions/ wrong foods/ take-aways/ binging) then that might not be so good.

However, you also say small slice of cake - on bad days in the past I have been known to eat a whole M&S Victoria sponge, so a small slice is nothing!

I think the thing is not to get too hung up on it and focus on it too much. If you want it after the diet then have it, but we do need to get out of the mentality of using food as a treat - I struggle with this a lot!
Thank you, I have added yours response and made a third option
I do get where your coming from.......my biggest problem is my huge appetite even though I can go all day without even thinking about food I can still eat a huge meal at night, my way of thinking was exactly as you said, every thing in moderation once I have got through the next 2 weeks, if I deprive myself of everything unhealthy I'm sure I'm setting myself up for failure.... I see you recently had your surgery,you have done amazingly well :winner: how are you feeling and how are you managing with the bypass, as someone who has also had a large appetite in the past how are you managing with your food choice and amount now ?

I'm torn. I agree with everything in moderation, but for me eating that slice of cake would have led to me wanting more. There's nothing wrong with freezing the cake for later and enjoying it, but just be careful that small slice doesn't lead to bigger. Because believe me, I've been there and it's a very slippery slope.

I also agree with @Hannah2 that we need to get out of the mentality of food as a treat. Which is also something I still struggle with.

I'm with turps in this .. I havnt eaten anything remotely like cake since April as this would be a huge trigger for me and I may not be able to help myself and go right off the wagon like an alcoholic ?
You have to think about why you bought that home with you .. How it makes you feel when , during and after you've eaten it .. Personally , it would not have made it to my house ..

hmmm tough one but i would have done the same LOL but hey i've been on pretty slippery slope over the last year or so SO DEFFO don't do as i do LOL sometimes its just the missing out feeling, especially when something is so specially done ie your vintage afternoon tea....... not sure what it is that drives us this way ??? i guess its just years of hard habits to break...... as the others have said tho, the sugar cravings are a breaker, once its in your system gezzz that old sugar monster wants feeding big time !!! sometimes its easier to say no........its empowering ........ but ultimately you are (if your like me) going to have to eat it or ditch it!!! food magically speaks to me from beyond the cupboard/fridge/freezer :) Shocking!!!! hub brought home choc the other day, without thinking in it went!!! i was so cross with myself and ultimately him for bringing it home..........it ended up in the bin fortunately before i demolished the rest......... good luck with what ever YOU decide to do.....it is your choice after all...... just think long and hard either way.......empowering v feeling a failure ughhhhhh its a hard battle we face everyday x x x

I think the problem is in thinking of it as right or wrong. If you eat the cake when you finish the strict phase of your diet it will have consequences. For example, it may slow down your total weight loss and act as a trigger for you, making you crave more sweet treats and that can be very hard to deal with. Alternatively you might feel rewarded for all your hard work in dieting and sit down and really appreciate your single special treat. I don't know how it would work out for you, only you do. Cake is not a trigger for me, so I could happily see it in the freezer and maybe throw it out or maybe enjoy it as a treat. However bring a bag of Doritos my way and one crisp would be too many, triggering me into a full scale binge. I have learnt this the hard way over the last 5 years and now I know what I can have a small piece of and what I must avoid at all costs. But if you have your one small slice of cake I don't think it would be the end of the world. Every day is new and fresh and careful eating won't be destroyed by one treat.
It is interesting what other people have said about identifying food as a treat - that's the hard one - finding new things to treat ourselves with when food isn't an option any more :)

Throw it in the bin..it will only talk to you from the freezer!! Also , I do eat cake, in fact my diary has photos of such things, but when I do I can't a nice fresh piece not some manky defrosted lump! That's not a treat!! Bin it...positive action it will make you feel good about yourself believe me! X

I wouldn't personally. I am working very hard to get away from the idea of good or bad food and I certainly don't feel I'm denying myself anything. A small slice is better than a big slice and not breaking the LRD is brilliant but I agree with @Kar8858 a defrosted lump isn't likely to taste great :)

Hi all
I just wanted to ask opinions on something..... I'm on day 14 of my initial 28 day milk diet, the one that helps lose 5% and ensures we are able to cope with high protein diet, not the pre op milk diet, I have stuck to it 100% and haven't even so much as licked a spoon of anything other than milk.....today one of our patients at work laid on a beautiful vintage afternoon tea for all the staff which consisted of lovely sandwiches and cakes, there was an amazing looking chocolate cake and I decided I would take a small slice home to put in the freezer to enjoy in a couple of weeks time.......... Was I wrong to have done this ??????

I have put 'yes you are wrong' because this is all about mindset. I am guessing you wouldn't have asked if you were fine with it. Sorry, harsh as it sounds if you can't cope with this then it is likely you will struggle even more with the diet post-op. I found the pre-op diet of milk to be liberating as it stopped me wanting something as there were no decisions to make and post-op I know my relationship with food is an ongoing new relationship with food! Had I been told I could do it before pre-op I would have done. I know yours isn't pre-op but what are you planning to eat once you have done 28 days?

Having done a 3 week chocolate detox for a very serious addiction last year and now never fancy it, I realised that the body can do this.

I agree with others who say sugar is an addiction and once you have some you will want more. As for frozen cake - yuk! The best thing to replace chocolate is a hug :)

I am guessing another reason you may want the cake is to do with possibly feeling the odd one out at the event and therefore need to calm that emotion? I would suggest you do put it in the bin but wait a week and see how you feel emotionally about it then.

I put yes too I'm afraid.

You are currently on a pre, pre op diet and the chances are that when thats done and dusted you will be put on another diet. I'm pretty sure cake won't feature in it!

Throw it away, concentrate on getting through this and the next part of your pre op journey xx

I feel your pain. I am on day 21 of milk diet and am doing it for 2 more weeks. I wish you all the best and hope to hear how you get on at your next hospital appointment xx

I feel your pain. I am on day 21 of milk diet and am doing it for 2 more weeks. I wish you all the best and hope to hear how you get on at your next hospital appointment xx
Hi
How are you getting on with yours ? I'm actually not finding it to bad really, OH had fish and chips last night (with my blessing and permission) and it didn't faze me, I do really look forward to my jelly when he has his tea and I make it with 6 fluid ounces of water made up to a pint with milk, I have a weigh in tomorrow my first "full" week I lost 5.5lb, how much do you have to lose ? Are you doing the extra week because you had a holiday ? Xx

Hi
How are you getting on with yours ? I'm actually not finding it to bad really, OH had fish and chips last night (with my blessing and permission) and it didn't faze me, I do really look forward to my jelly when he has his tea and I make it with 6 fluid ounces of water made up to a pint with milk, I have a weigh in tomorrow my first "full" week I lost 5.5lb, how much do you have to lose ? Are you doing the extra week because you had a holiday ? Xx

Hi I am doing ok but struggling more over the weekends and yes I am doing the extra week because of my holiday. My husband feels guilty eating in front of me but I have told him not to feel like that. I lost 6 lbs the first week, 5 lbs the second and have lost 3lbs this week. Can't wait until my appointment on 17th when I hope they let me eat something again. Good luck with your weigh in xxx

Hi I am doing ok but struggling more over the weekends and yes I am doing the extra week because of my holiday. My husband feels guilty eating in front of me but I have told him not to feel like that. I lost 6 lbs the first week, 5 lbs the second and have lost 3lbs this week. Can't wait until my appointment on 17th when I hope they let me eat something again. Good luck with your weigh in xxx
Well done that's a great loss, I do tell people when they feel guilty that's it's my choice to do this, had my weigh in this morning and have lost 9lb now, I agree weekends are difficult, it's my birthday on Thursday, I've told my family I'll have a S/F jelly cake it's really good to have someone who's at the same stage as me, take care, keep up the good work and I'll let you know how I get on on the 12th

You've both had great losses and @Bling Babe I think your attitude to what others eat in front of you is spot on ;)

Back