• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

after surgery x

leanne1985

Morning all,

Been up since 6 my son!

Was just wondering how everyone felt physically after surgery? I will be having surgery on a Thursday and will be going home on the Monday after, I will be going back to work 1 week after surgery but will looking after my son with help, just hoping I will feel up too it!

Will I feel exhausted? My job is a desk job so shouldn't be to bad it's my energetic little 1 year old I'm worried about lol X

I was tired and sore for about 2 weeks. The pain calmed down pretty quickly but it's a big op even though the scars are small so it takes some time to recover. Will you have help with your little one?

Hi.

I am 6 weeks post op, and have only really started to feel like myself recently.

As FeeBee said, the pain goes quite quickly, but you will be sore for a while. I wouldn't recommend any heavy lifting or hoovering for a bit.

Also you will be very tired!! And with a little one, I can imagine even more so.
For me the most difficult thing was my lack of concentration.

Physically I was fine, the pain had stopped and everything was healing nicely, but because of the amount of food you can consume post op, I had little energy for a while and found concentrating for large periods difficult.

Does you work know about the op?

Gemma x

^ This. I am also 6 weeks out and still knackered. I'm going back to work shortly, I work with people and I communicate in sign language at work (my second language) and I need to be able to function mentally to do both. I am contemplating a pre lunch nap as I type...

My pain stayed around for 2-3 weeks, remember its a major operation, even if it is keyhole. I didn't drive for a month, but I stayed with my parents, who chauffered me around. This was partly choice and partly because I wasn't confident doing an emergency stop. My dad looked after the cats mainly, I can't imagine looking after a child, personally, though others do.

Work knew about my op, I'd been open with them from the start, so work have been quite good, surprisingly.

I am in the same boat. This is the bit that worries me the most. I have a little one 5 who I need to keep up with and only have a week off work so hoping I can cope with this after the bypass.

Has anyone bounced back quite quickly.

I woke up the morning after my op feeling great but tired. Had little pain and was up and walking quickly. Yes there was wind pain but by lunchtime I was bored and itching to leave. I left hospital later that afternoon and just improved day in day. I was back at my largely desk job two weeks after op. I felt fine, brain needed to work and I needed to think about something other than myself. I was tired and early to bed each night.

Things to point out -
  • I'm not sure my rapid recovery is normal.
  • Also I'm in my 50's and just assumed I would take longer to bounce back - well this wasn't true, so age not relevant.
  • I have no one year old bundle of mischiefs in my house just two teenage daughters so when I got home from work and had made tea then I could go and rest.
  • Key point - everyone is different, don't assume, feel your own way and do what is right for your body

Back