• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wasn't expecting that response today

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
So had my six month check up today, not all of it went to plan. I have been told not to track my calories anymore as I should only be having 3 main meals a day which I should eat for 20 mins and then stop eating. This should be enough to last me until my next meal.

They were very happy with my weight loss since my operation in June and also my overall weight loss.

I was also told to stay off the scales and go by my clothes size.

In a nutshell she told me to start relaxing and enjoying life, I did tell her I didnt think I could do that and then she told me maybe I should speak to the pyscho. In which I said thanks but no thanks lol

So she agreed to see me again in 3 months to review the situation. But kept telling me I am no longer on a diet and eat what I want, just at set meal times!

The vital stats are though:

Weight Started at 178.9kg now 117.3kg
BMI Started at 55.2 now 36.2
Weight Change -61.6kg
Percent Change -34.4%

That's a great loss so far PG.
I have my 6 month check tomorrow and am a little nervous, to say the least!
xXx

whooo well done you x

thats good news Gary xxx

I think you pride yourself on not being 'normal' Gary! You are an inspiration to many of us though, and the normal mindset will kick in sooner or later, probably when you least expect it.

So had my six month check up today, not all of it went to plan. I have been told not to track my calories anymore as I should only be having 3 main meals a day which I should eat for 20 mins and then stop eating. This should be enough to last me until my next meal.

They were very happy with my weight loss since my operation in June and also my overall weight loss.

In a nutshell she told me to start relaxing and enjoying life, I did tell her I didnt think I could do that and then she told me maybe I should speak to the pyscho. In which I said thanks but no thanks lol

So she agreed to see me again in 3 months to review the situation. But kept telling me I am no longer on a diet and eat what I want, just at set meal times!

Weight Change -61.6kg
Percent Change -34.4%
That's what I've been told Gary, don't count calories, eat 3 meals and drink plenty of fluids.

Fantastic news.....you know "carpe diem" enjoy your life....the hard part it is that after going through so much ..how do we relax? when do we really stop checking the food labels? even if I reach my weight target, I do not feel that I will stop checking the labels in food containers, it is like a part of me, does not never ever wants to go back to the old times.

Well dun Hun ;)

Well done Gary, you have done so well! I can't imagine not counting calories or being on some type of 'diet' mind-set..I can imagine it would be easy enough to relax and go back to old habits.

I'm always surprised by the inconsistencies in advice given by different dietitians. I've seen four in my post op time and each had a slightly different view. One of them was advising the three meals a day but the others agreed if you spread your daily intake over several smaller meals not only does it stop you getting hungry and help you avoid snacking, it also speeds up your metabolism. I also never ate to restriction preferring to measure a right amount of food and when it was gone I was done. I could stick to this because it would only be a short time until my next planned meal, and I never stretched my pouch. This worked for me, I lost 109kg in just over a year hitting my goal in ten months, but I'm not advocating it for everyone

At your current weight you are still considered obese and would need to lose almost 80 pounds to get to a "normal?" healthy BMI, and your still nearly 50 pounds from your generously set goal weight. With that in mind I'm surprised at the advice this dietitian gave you yesterday.

The best advice I was ever given was relayed to me by a patient of one of the statistically most successful surgeons in the USA. This surgeon had an 87% success rate for his post op patients reaching and maintaining their goal weight and his singular advice is that it is wrong to think we don't have to diet post op. We are on a diet for life, the surgery just makes it a little easier. Forget that and we run the high risk of regain, on average we regain 30% of the initial lost weight, and some who forget they are on a diet will regain a great deal more, dangerous maxim or what?

You're right to ask what is normal, for the UK being overweight is sadly normal these days, just count how many obese people you see out there every day. Well done on your loss to date and good luck with the rest

Thanks Karl, tbh there was 4 of us all 6 months post op, and met for coffee afterwards and all given different advice lol

So guess I will carry on taking advice from more experienced post oppers and taking one day at a time.

If i don't lose another pound mind you i would be a happy bunny, however i want to lose hopefully another 4/5 stone yet :)

Weight Change -61.6kg
Percent Change -34.4%

Exactly right advice! Eat the right stuff until restriction is felt. Don't drink with or for up to an hour after a meal. And stay off the scales. You'' know it's working when your trousers start falling down your hips ;)

Very well done Gary! xx

Weight Change -61.6kg
Percent Change -34.4%
Hi,

Wonderful to have progressed so well. You are an inspiration.

Cheers,

Good old L&D!! They speak wise words!! What we all need to be aware of is that even if we have had bypasses, they might not all be exactly the same op - sometimes the gall bladder is removed, sometimes the length of the bypass is different - so in my view, if advice I see on here varies from what I've been told by the hospital, I always take the advice of my surgeon and medical team over someone else's experience from another provider, just to be on the safe side.

Straying slightly off-topic, I have to say, when I read some of the posts on here about people who have had their ops privately, I am shocked by the lack of information they have been given before and post-operatively - seems like a few private providers are happy to take the money but not so hot on giving people the right information about how to look after themselves after surgery. When I read that some people don't even leave hospital with any printed diet sheets to give them clues about what to eat during the different stages, it fills me with horror! (I remember when Gary posted copies of the information we L&D-ers get given, lots of people found it really enlightening) Obviously not all private providers are guilty, but I very rarely see a post-NHS-op person saying they dont know what they should be eating at certain stages.

Back