• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery date nearly here

Babynurse

Hi, I've decided to have a gastric band and having the op on Tuesday 15th April. I should be feeling happy but today when I went to collect my prescription for my medication in liquid form, my GP wants to see me. I know he won't be happy with my decision, but it is my decision.

I am 53 years old and struggled with weight gain and loss for over 25 years. At the moment I am at my heaviest - 15 stones and at 5ft 2 I need to get the weight off for my health and to enjoy my life. I am paying for the surgery myself and I haven't told many people - just my husband, two of my sons and my mum & dad as I know they will support me. The only person I have told at work is a colleague who had the op 3 years ago so she is the best person to talk to. She told me not to tell anyone at work as I remember what she went through if anyone saw her eating. The comments were not nice so I don't want to go through the same. I have a bowel condition so as far as work knows, I'm having an exploratory operation and won't be able to eat solids for a while.

Anyway, I have to see my GP later today so I'll update my blog tonight. Started cutting back on solids today so having meal replacements and a small meal tonight and from Tuesday I start the milk diet for a week.

Congrats Hunni..... its not an easy decision but when it comes to health sometimes its just got to be done. I hope the doc is not too hard on you, and should accept its your choice to take matters in to your own hands before its too late. Believe me its no fun when illnesses and weight hit and you lose your entire life because of it!! I was luck enough to get help via the NHS it was my last and only chance to get my life back..... it took 3 years to get the surgery, the long wait cemented it in my head and i'm going well :) 8 weeks post op today and 47lbs down since the start of my pre op, i could never have wished for such a result so quickly :)

I wish you all the very best with your op and beyond.... any questions do ask, am happy to help, plus my complete journey so far is on my diary.
Everyone here on site is fantastic and soooooo supportive :)

x x x x

Back