• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WATCHING WHAT YOU EAT...

markelsie

I have come to understand already in the short time following my op how much your appetite does desert you following surgery...All the consultant surgeons and there teams tell you pre-and post op but it's not until you start to live and move on does it really,really sink in...Know doubt many of you have arrived at the same conclusion already but this whole journey is about "mind-approach" along with food approach...I waffle on but today took a couple of work mates to breakfast and for me this has been the first time I have been in this position ie eating breakfast out and not my usual weetabix,or porridge I like to have at home...Popped in to Sainsbury's canteen and looked at the menu and found my best option was a omlette which came with beans and hash-browns...When it arrived we all tucked in and there's me after a few mouth-fulls floundering..."BUT" I knew when to stop and just left 75% of it but have to say I was quite happy in that I can still mix and eat out IF the needs arises and once again for ME anyway it comes down to the "BRAIN-GAME" once more...

Here's to a nice weekend for everyone..
Mark:)

Good stuff Mark! I know we're in different places, be being a VLCD'er rather than surgery, but one of the personal post-maintenance challenges is for me to always leave *something* on my plate after a meal, even if it's just a forkful. I'll tell you why; I'm a pretty quick eater so one of my problems was (is still, probably) that I'd scoff my meal before my brain realised I was full, so I'd still feel hungry and I'd be off for seconds, or pick at my wife's leftovers or whatever. If I have a self-imposed barrier - that last forkful - I reckon I'll be much less inclined to keep stuffing my face, and give my brain that few minutes it needs to catch up with my stomach, and I'll feel satisfied with what I've had. There's no science to this; but anything that helps me to not overeat in the future has to be a good thing right, even if it is just something made up lol

I haven't got an appetite as such - i eat because i have to, but what i have found is that i like looking at cooked food and enjoy watching others eating it!!!! I know a bit strange!!!!

Mark
oh so true, i'm about a month behind you but already i'm realising that mentally i can do this( as you prob saw from my earlier post). we are going away for the night tonight and i know that hubby and daughter will be walking along the sea front eating chips and ice cream whilst i contemplate the puree supper. I've never read a food label in my life but now i am. The words "life changing" are not all about physical changes that's for sure. So glad you are managing to watch your mates tuck in and feel fine about it. Gives me so much encouragement so thank you for that x

I had a childrens baked potato the other day and struggled to eat half of it. My sons were slightly amused by it...lol

Also this afternoon we popped into Costa after shopping and I ordered a chicken and lemon flatbread then proceeded to pick at the chicken but ate none of the bread. Must admit I was a bit miffed that I have to leave so much food that I've paid for on the plate. I hate waste but guess thats what got me like this in the first place so best get used to it.

Its a nice feeling not having to hide the amount of food you have on your plate in case everyone else in the restaraunt looks at you and thinks your a greedy pig though isn't it?

I have come to understand already in the short time following my op how much your appetite does desert you following surgery...All the consultant surgeons and there teams tell you pre-and post op but it's not until you start to live and move on does it really,really sink in...Know doubt many of you have arrived at the same conclusion already but this whole journey is about "mind-approach" along with food approach...I waffle on but today took a couple of work mates to breakfast and for me this has been the first time I have been in this position ie eating breakfast out and not my usual weetabix,or porridge I like to have at home...Popped in to Sainsbury's canteen and looked at the menu and found my best option was a omlette which came with beans and hash-browns...When it arrived we all tucked in and there's me after a few mouth-fulls floundering..."BUT" I knew when to stop and just left 75% of it but have to say I was quite happy in that I can still mix and eat out IF the needs arises and once again for ME anyway it comes down to the "BRAIN-GAME" once more...

Here's to a nice weekend for everyone..
Mark:)

mark i frequently eat at sainsburys especially breakfast and i go for the breakfast extras of 1 slice bacon, mushrooms boiled nor fried and beans or tomato. It cost £1.47 and is just the right quantity. I get a latte before and by the time i have drunk that my breakfast is ready.
Although it feels like a mind game at the moment it will soon become second nature and you will order without thinking.

Back