• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'd like to know what motivates/encourages you

I was in Northamptonshire at the weekend. I stopped at the Premier Inn in Great Billing. I was at a car show at Silverstone Sunday. I should have said something I guess :)

I can't believe I didn't put my kids down as they are & always will be top of anything that I do. x

When I think about it I sometimes kind of forget about them, I know it sounds horrable, I am doing this partly for them but it is for myself too and I think its a good thing the kids arent the first thing on our minds when it comes to this type of thing, as a mum you get so little time to think about yourself and as much as this will affect your childrens lives, it will affect yours more. So dont feel bad for not putting them down, think about yourself :D

Hi Mixman, I think most the things others have said applies. Mostly for me it is reading and hearing the stories from people like you, phatgirl, hopeless case etc. The thing that made the most impact was actually meeting and talking to people who have had the surgery and finding out that the majority don't seem to have major problems, something not highlighted by the media. It was hearing how many of their health problems either resolved themselves or improved. Looking at the before and after pictures and the clothes that now swamp them. The generosity of all of you who have had wls in the giving up of your time at support groups, talks or on sites like these.

Being told about the BOSPA and this site was very helpful, especially in making a decision as to whether I wanted the band or bypass. It was talking to people like you who made me realise that the band would never work for me.

Having an idea of how long the wait can be and how important it is to get yourself not just physically fit for the operation, but also mentally fit. I have discovered that I like jewellery making (substitute for bingeing), dancing around the room with the girls is an exercise I enjoy and benefits us all. I have also taken up belly dancing and occassionally go swimming with the girls now. Something which gives them immense pleasure.

Most of all, how much closer we are as a family whilst making this journey together, we were quite close before.

I am looking forward, like you, to hopefully being alive and healthy enough to watch and enjoy them grow up. To not have to cope with the tears when others say unkind things to them about me. My eldest daughter is so looking forward to being able to wrap her arms around me without too big a gap. All these things have inspired me on my wls journey.

At the end of the day Mixman I know you have so much to share that you will be inspirational just by being there. Knock them dead.

Rebirthxx

Hi Mixy. All of the above really.

But also for me, knowing that after years and years and years of fruitless and depressing yo-yo dieting, this WLS would actually WORK !!!!!!!

That the surgery would HELP me to be released from the prison food addiction had become, and it's horrible end results cause.

So I could regain not only my life, health and activity, but also my self-respect.

Just-Liz and another guy did the seminar ar SRH and I think that came across really strongly from both of them.
They also put on 'big' clothes and showed before and after pictures and there were gasps round the room.

I think that for someone trapped in the endless cycle of yo-yo dieting, to know there truly is a light at the end of the tunnel is something awesome, and hard to grasp.

We've all seen the 'Slimmer of the Year' type pictures: but what was amazing to me was that I realised that HONESTLY could be me in a year's time! This time the hope was real and realistic!

So, as you have done it, personally I would be emphasising that with the right motivation to use the WLS as a tool, anyone can be successful.

And I can't think of a better man for the job! I'm sure you'll rock!

I love before and after pics.

I also love hearing about the things that people are doing now that I couldn't do pre-op (daft stuff like crossing legs and the health related stuff like walking for miles). I really love to hear about how going through all of this has changed people's lives for the better.

Hi Mixy,

For me in the beginning when I went to the group, I was encourged by seeing the success of others, to actually see that this operation does work, it adds hope, and now I run our support group and I love giving out encouragement for people to succeed to reach their goals, to keep going through the tough times, I just love it, especially when pre-op patients come with family members to give them hope that there is life and life in its fullness after Gastric surgery, and eleviating their fears somewhat...

I dont know you too much yet mate, but you seem to really have achieved a lot yourself so I am sure you will give so much at any support group....Go for it mate.x

Back