• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weakness and irritability

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Hi all

so im almost 3 weeks in...been on mushies a week and generally for the last few days have been hungrier but trying not to overeat...am really feeling weak....had to get up during the night and put a jumper on...i NEVER feel cold in bed...i have the fan on even when its snowing outside.

also went shops with the kids and just felt shattered. had some fish from harry ramsdens.....had just over half, felt full but not satisified.

i dont think i can get my head around this band thing. i see people eating away and they look happy and content. food doesnt satisfy me in the same way...and i DO miss it. i miss the feeling of stuffing my belly.

i know this is such a stupid thing to post cos doing that makes u obese and that gives u so many problems....but im seriously having problems adjusting....the gastric band is not a cure that will magically transform u into a size 8 overnight and boy am i realising that now. dont get me wrong im glad i did this...but i do feel im missing out. i dont drink or smoke. food was my vice and i miss it. even though i shouldnt. i feel 'full' in the way a band makes u full but im not feeling content.

im just very confused and wondered if anyone else had these issues and how they overcame them?

and now ive just had an aero mousse and been picking at chocolate.

why is the band so hard for me?!!

Hi all

so im almost 3 weeks in...been on mushies a week and generally for the last few days have been hungrier but trying not to overeat...am really feeling weak....had to get up during the night and put a jumper on...i NEVER feel cold in bed...i have the fan on even when its snowing outside.

also went shops with the kids and just felt shattered. had some fish from harry ramsdens.....had just over half, felt full but not satisified.

i dont think i can get my head around this band thing. i see people eating away and they look happy and content. food doesnt satisfy me in the same way...and i DO miss it. i miss the feeling of stuffing my belly.

i know this is such a stupid thing to post cos doing that makes u obese and that gives u so many problems....but im seriously having problems adjusting....the gastric band is not a cure that will magically transform u into a size 8 overnight and boy am i realising that now. dont get me wrong im glad i did this...but i do feel im missing out. i dont drink or smoke. food was my vice and i miss it. even though i shouldnt. i feel 'full' in the way a band makes u full but im not feeling content.

im just very confused and wondered if anyone else had these issues and how they overcame them?

Hey you,

You are correct to feel this way .... people would be lying if they said nothing had changed following the operation.

Do I feel full to bursting in my lower tummy ... no, I feel full in my chest- not the best of feelings, but I guess it's something I've gotten used to. I try not to think about the belly aching fullness I used to feel. In fact I don't think about it a great deal TBH.

I surround myself with very nice foods and enjoy them - for me thats the compromise. Enjoy nice things in smaller quantities!

I was never one for eating McDonalds, Burger King, Fish n Chips, KFC etc. on a regular basis, so I don't miss them. However just because I have a band doesn't mean I can't eat them ;) I choose not to as per pre-band.

What I think you're feeling is frustration. Once you're back to being able to eat normally you'll be fine. Right now you're just out of surgery a relative WLS-Babe so you're going through the post-op motions. Once on solids you'll be able to eat as you did pre-op for a while until you get your first fill. I filled very very slowly and only started reaching any level of restriction 10/11 months post op, although I've been slow in losing weight especially in comparison to the wonderful banders here - i must admit my very slow approach (helped by the complications I had at the beginning) really allowed my head to adjust - I also KNOW when I'm cheating the band - and again choose not to (most of the time).

Chill, relax and just choose good food! When I'm in the supermarket and I'm tempted to buy a 70p gingerbread man "cos I'm pekish" I literally have a conversation in my head about the nutrition of the biscuit and the space it'll take up in my new tummy, space that could be used for yummier foods.

You'll find your way ...... I promise. :hug99:

and now ive just had an aero mousse and been picking at chocolate.

why is the band so hard for me?!!

Who says you can't have either of these things?

Eat it, enjoy it and relax!

I've been eating relatively lightly today because I know I want to eat something nice this evening. It's about give'n'take - not constant chastisement; leave that in the Cambridge Diet room!

You'll STILL lose weight!!!!!!

And breathe ......! :hug99:

p.s - I know why you mentioned the mousse and chocolate on here ... it's because you feel guilty and declaring publicly it is a form of self-flagellation. Don't beat yourself up.

I'm the same. I'm a sleever, not a bander, but I miss proper food. I don't like being hungry and if I eat, then feeling sick sometimes. I don't like that I cant have bread anymore, because sometimes I could just do with a sandwich but can't have one. Sometimes "dinner" may be a single sausage, which is a bit daft really, but expected to a degree.

I too think I'm missing eating properly. I'd love to have a proper meal again but god knows if I ever will.

I've been out of surgery for over a month now... but when (if ever) can I eat relatively normal again? Like a small meal (but not like 2 chicken nuggets and a chip, or half a kiev etc?) How about fizzy drinks? bread?

I mean like to be able to have say 2 slices of toast and some jam for breakfast... that's a normal sort of breakfast really for average weight people, but I can't eat bread.

And sunday dinner... to be able to have say 2 roast potatoes, some gravy, a small piece of gammon and some veg, maybe some stuffing but only a little bit.... :eat: ...however as it stands I can manage a potato and a few peas...

Do you know what I mean? :/

Oh! And I'd love to be able to have a drink with my food again!! :party0027:

I dunno. I imagine everyone has these sort of regrets and doubts a month or so after surgery, right? :sigh:

Last edited:
I am a bypasser (!) so can't really comment save as to say my dietician has told me to think about and order a fillet steak instead of a T-Bone mmmmmmm either would be good right now xx

You're being a bypasser has got nowt to do with it ... all of it is restrictive surgery. All of it has it's rules, rules which are almost identical. Feelings of fullness which are identical :)

Hence my pointing TR_Wolf in the direction of the post.

Don't let being a bypasser proclude or inhibit you.

I'm the same. I'm a sleever, not a bander, but I miss proper food. I don't like being hungry and if I eat, then feeling sick sometimes. I don't like that I cant have bread anymore, because sometimes I could just do with a sandwich but can't have one. Sometimes "dinner" may be a single sausage, which is a bit daft really, but expected to a degree.

I too think I'm missing eating properly. I'd love to have a proper meal again but god knows if I ever will.

I've been out of surgery for over a month now... but when (if ever) can I eat relatively normal again? Like a small meal (but not like 2 chicken nuggets and a chip, or half a kiev etc?) How about fizzy drinks? bread?

I mean like to be able to have say 2 slices of toast and some jam for breakfast... that's a normal sort of breakfast really for average weight people, but I can't eat bread.

And sunday dinner... to be able to have say 2 roast potatoes, some gravy, a small piece of gammon and some veg, maybe some stuffing but only a little bit.... :eat: ...however as it stands I can manage a potato and a few peas...

Do you know what I mean? :/

Oh! And I'd love to be able to have a drink with my food again!! :party0027:

I dunno. I imagine everyone has these sort of regrets and doubts a month or so after surgery, right? :sigh:

There are always regrets ... life wouldn't be life if there weren't regrets. I wonder how many people on the operating table were full of regret for stuffing their face, then full of regret for having the op .. lol :D

Just the way life is.

Eating and drinking at the same time is now special when you get used to eating without drinking! :D I do still sip a little if I'm dining out though ....!

Fizzy drinkipoos ..... name me a fizzy drink thats good for you? None! Even champagne is overrated :D

I'm sure you can have a slice of crunchy toast with jam soon, just less of it. You've got to stop comparing yourself to 'normal people' because essentially we all make assumptions about our neighbours, friends, work colleagues etc. - but truly there is no one that is normal and we are not privy to their eating habits (over a long period of time!)

Rather than enjoying food in quantity, appreciate it for it's quality and taste. The joy is in the textures and flavours - not in the amount. :)

CC u r so lovely! sending u a big squishy hug (as i cant rep u again) im glad its 'normal' to feel like u r mising out. i did like my fast foods, i'll be honest and going to restarunts... so its gonna be a change.,.i keep thinking..think like thin people and not always be thinking about nr next meal! but arrrgh im struggling...my brain is still geared up to think about whats gone in, whats gonna come next, when is it gonna come?!

i hope when i get to solids i feel a bit better about things and i hope i adjust soon. CC u have done really well 20kg is a HUGE amount even if u feel its taken longer than others

i lold at the cambridge diet thing!! never done VLCD....that sounds insane could never do that...i love food too much! haha.

TR wolf i havent really tried bread yet but its good to know we are all in the same boat... sailing to a happy mental state accepting that not only have we gotta change how we eat but how we think about food.

i am missing a zinger twister with fries and diet pepsi (yes diet...made a world of difference :p)

There are always regrets ... life wouldn't be life if there weren't regrets. I wonder how many people on the operating table were full of regret for stuffing their face, then full of regret for having the op .. lol :D

Just the way life is.

Eating and drinking at the same time is now special when you get used to eating without drinking! :D I do still sip a little if I'm dining out though ....!

Fizzy drinkipoos ..... name me a fizzy drink thats good for you? None! Even champagne is overrated :D

I'm sure you can have a slice of crunchy toast with jam soon, just less of it. You've got to stop comparing yourself to 'normal people' because essentially we all make assumptions about our neighbours, friends, work colleagues etc. - but truly there is no one that is normal and we are not privy to their eating habits (over a long period of time!)

Rather than enjoying food in quantity, appreciate it for it's quality and taste. The joy is in the textures and flavours - not in the amount. :
)

ok THAT is now gonna be my daily mantra!

I think that it's common way of thinking this way at this stage MB, your body has gone through a huge change and your head has to catch up. Also you'll be due a fill, once the fills begin you'll find food becomes less of an issue. Huge hugs.

Adam, I can feel your frustration, although I don't anything about sleeves, I just want to offer you a great big hug and hope that you'll soon be able to feel satisfied xx

thanks sarah..... really wish u could have that brain thing that tranquil was talking about! haha.... maybe we should take it to a medical based dragons den kinda thing....hi id like to pitch the brain band. its basically a band that restricts head hunger in tune with the gastric band, so that the bander feels satisified both in the head and the stomach!!!'

who's in? haha

What you are missing is that 'mindspace' that you occupied when you ate big meals before surgery. Its a soothing thing that calmed and relaxed you. Its very similar to the feelings people get when they give up smoking or anything else for that matter.( I do a lot of smoking cessation work!)
Ca Ching is so right saying that you have to find the new joy in eating in the full knowledge that you have an immense help of your band. It will help YOU control food and not the other way around. And you're feeling like this because you haven't found out another way to relax yet.

Listen to me eh... I haven't even had it done yet!

MrsPhill it doesnt matter even if u r a pre opper.....u do know what u are getting urself into even then.....so i appreciate ur comments and wish u well with ur upcoming band..... going down in sizes beats a big mac meal any day!!

rmbr that brain!

I think when you make any big change, it takes a while to adjust. When I gave up smoking 3 years ago, I felt like I'd lost my best friend and then after so long not smoking became the norm.
I hope the same thing happens with food. I know we can't actually give up food, but hopefully the relationship with food will change from adictive to .......ummm.....normalness! (is that a word?)!
xxx

Back