• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight is just getting depressing.

COADF2011

Hi, I'm new here so :wavey:

Weight: 18st (nearly)
Height: 6ft2"
BMI - 30.5-31

The reason I've joined is because I've gotten to a point now where I just can't stand looking at my body anymore, and I know other people think I look pretty gross aswell. Over the last twelve months or so I've put on a considerable amount of weight and as time has gone by I've started to feel truly disgusted with my appearance. Twelve months ago I wore 34" jeans and could manage a 32", and now I'm on 38" in all new pairs and 40" in my work pants ( I'm a student nurse ). I've tried dieting ( VLCD = Exante, Xenical, general healthy eating ) and have found that this combined with uni stress hasn't gone well and I've ended up lapsing before I know it.

I've been looking at weight loss surgery for quite a while now but on my income as a student it looks near to be impossible. My local PCT is NICE guidelines only, and I know people who have been rejected who are wearing size 30+ (women) so I have no chance of getting something from my PCT.

Could anyone help me with this? Where to look, funding, abroad? etc.

I know it sounds drastic but weighing a stone for every year you are in age is pretty depressing.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I cant help but just wanted to wish you good luck on your journey. Someone will be along with some advice soon I'm sure x

Hello bud, I know how you feel, I have been large all my life, but you have made the best move so far, by coming on here.

Have you spoke to your doctor about WLS. Generally you will need to have diabetes or sleep apnea as well as a high BMI to qualify for WLS on the NHS.

Where are you from, and maybe people local to you can help you on that front.

Hi Welcome to the forum -you will find loads of support here - the people r gr8.

if I were in your shoes, I would try and findout why you put on the weight so quickly 1st. Have u had blood tests done to see if you have underactive thyroid? Has something significant happened in your life that has caused u to overeat?

To be honest your BMI doesnt seem that bad - you are only slightly over the recommended. If something has happened in your life to cause u to overeat, I would highly recommend trying Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to deal with your issues.

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

I know your BMI isn't that high, but it all comes down to how you feel about yourself. You've done the most important thing by taking the first step and asking for help. You are at a lovely young age to start this journey as your body will tone up much easier. (When you reach a certain age everything sags and don't wanna tighten up anymore!) I would advise you to make a few simple changes to your diet - drink more water, cut out fizzy drinks, no more bad carbs and watch how much fat you have. Add a bit of exercise, like walking, dancing, etc., and you'll see the weight come off nice and steady.
Have a look at Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com
I find this a great help as you can see exactly what you're doing.
Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.

Welcome to the forum, I battled with my Doctor for 1 year before he referred me to charing cross hospital, he said I wasnt big enough and I didnt have any health problems, but for me I was getting really depressed I lost my job, best friend and I got pregnant between mar08-may-08 I felt at my lowest and I turned to food I gained 3 stone in 1 year.....but after many visits to him and joining my local (ww) I lost 7lbs to prove to the doc that I was serious and not looking for an easy option I really gave him a speech!!! I was referred 10 months later for group assessment feb (11)at the hospital then 2nd appointment mar, 3rd April. 4th May when I met with the surgeon!!!! my 5th appointment was on the 21st of July when I was told my op will be on the 10th of Aug!! sweetie if you really want surgery fight for it like I did we all deserve to be happy!!! Let my know how you get on...happy to help x x

Back