• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss

charliegirl

Whilst I am aware that this is a weight loss forum I think we are focusing far too much on how quick we can drop the weight, we have endured surgery and it does work especially the bypass but folks are still stressing that the scales are not showing a big enough weight loss. I would much sooner be slow and steady to reach my goal than put my body through the trauma of wanting it gone quickly. It has already endured the stress of major surgery and is probably in shock thinking what the heck is going on. For me the emphasis is on changing my eating habits and losing weight whilst remaining healthy more so than what the scales are saying. Yes its nice to see it come off but some people are putting themselves through hell if they stay the same and that cannot be a good thing. If you follow the guide lines it will come off and losing just a small amount can improve health conditions as I have found out so please folks lets not be ruled by the scales the whole idea is to reach a good weight and change the way we think about food dont let the scales rule your life....xx

I have decided to focus on the health side of it rather than the actual weight loss itself.

As you say this is a life long committment to change our ways, the weight took a while to get there and it will take a while to come off but to keep it off we have to make positive changes to our everyday lives.

My goals include walking everyday, even when I don't want to or its cold and wet and cutting down on sweet things. I don't have many and I am learning to substitute them for fruit or yoghurts instead.

But its a weaning process....but I will get there.

Because I am getting there already...if this takes two years, thats only two years of my life, the whole of the rest of the wonderful life that lays ahead of me...without illnesses I had before, without feeling like a whale, without horrid comments from strangers in the street...that is a short time in the grand scheme of my new life....

My scales might end up on Ebay soon...LOL

Caz that's the attitude I was looking for well done chick for starting the ball rolling...I am with you all the way...xx

I agree with you girls. Your health should always come first.

As for me I am trying to STAY at my BMI of 50 to aid my funding, what a sad world we live in when poor health isn't enough to satisfy the PCT and their post code lottery.

After the op I didn't get weighed until I had my check up, that was a week ago and I haven't weighed myself since. I can feel that I am loosing weight but I don't want it to be my focus.

I know a lady on the CD and she weighs herself 3 times a day!!! Now that just isn't healthy.

I think we have to take into account, some people need to see there, loss..... I know i did weight myself everday at one point, and sometimes in the evening....... but i haven't weighed myself now since my 6 month check up!!!! That isnt to say I don't want to....... I just haven't really had time to think!!!!! when i do the scales arent about....LOL

Whilst it is about being healthy, that is the main factor, some of us need to see the scales moving...... it is hard,

I can understand some people need to see a weight loss but its the ones that have had a really good start weight loss and then slow down that get all wound up because they are not still losing and that is not healthy. Ie someone has a 2 stone loss in say three weeks then wonders why it slows down. That was the point I was trying to make not the ones that get weighed but if the scale stays the same they are not unduly worried knowing it will come off eventually. x

getting on the scales can become addictive and can take over as a compulsion, is it right to swap one addiction ie food for another addiction getting on scales? It is a process that will take a while.

I completely agree with CG. That is why I have not been updating my ticker. I had a big loss in the beginning and slow and steady since. I am not bothered. Gave myslef a panic attack at 3 weeks by buying a scale which I really wish I hadn't:(.

However, I will not let them rule me. I have my 6 week check-up on Friday and we shall see what that says. I will get to my goal when my body is good and ready to so weighing myself to death will only bring down my morale which is pretty high. That said, it is my TOTM wouldn't you know right before my appointment so I will be carrying my monthly weight as well:eek::eek::eek:!!

I already feel tons healthier, have reduced some of my meds and my clothes are getting very baggy:):):). That is enough for me right now. When I get down to my comfy zone, I will use the scales to alert me to bad habbits. If I put on more than a few pounds in a month I will take a look at my diet, for example.

The weight loss is the bonus for me, a healthier & longer life is the goal.;)

i also agree, wls is not a race once the surgery has been done a slow weight loss is much more healthy, the body just cant cope with loosing large quantities all of the time.

liz x

Yeah i agree, i have some scales but i have not been on them- when i go on my wii fit it weighs me, but i am not going to let it rule me if i have/have not lost, because weight can fluctuate depending on the time of day etc.... I am just going to try and learn a new way of life - a new eating pattern, which is going to take time to adjust to.
The scales that i have got i am going to put on freecycle.
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Thats good idea Lizzie.......

When I first had it done, I was always weighing myself, it was more to see if the op had worked!!! wierd how the brain works..... Now I go on my clothes size, see one thing i had realised when on Lighter Life, is that I actually weigh heavy..... I get such a buzz now with seeing my clothes size going down and down, its great!!!

Back