• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WEIGHT LOSS MANAGEMENT CLINIC

BlueDiamond

Hi e1

I have my first appointment in just over a week and just wondered if anyone can shed any light on as to what happens at these appointments , just want some kind of idea thats all, if anyone can I'd appreaciate it as when I posted it last time I didnt get no response.

Thanks in advance -

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi e1

I have my first appointment in just over a week and just wondered if anyone can shed any light on as to what happens at these appointments , just want some kind of idea thats all, if anyone can I'd appreaciate it as when I posted it last time I didnt get no response.

Thanks in advance -

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi mejulie, which pct are you as its very different from area to area and which hospital are u under.
It is usually a period of 6/12 months where they monitor your weight and u have lot lose a certain percent of weight and they might put u on either xenical or reductil to help your losses.
Hope this helps you am sure others will be along soon xxx

Hi mejulie, which pct are you as its very different from area to area and which hospital are u under.
It is usually a period of 6/12 months where they monitor your weight and u have lot lose a certain percent of weight and they might put u on either xenical or reductil to help your losses.
Hope this helps you am sure others will be along soon xxx
Hi and thanks you for reply. That will be a waste of time for me as I just been on em recently and doc told me no more tabs as I get really bad side effects and said no more. so am wondering whats gonna happen next......and my friend who lives in same town only saw them once not over a period of 6/12 months like u sed x

Hi and thanks you for reply. That will be a waste of time for me as I just been on em recently and doc told me no more tabs as I get really bad side effects and said no more. so am wondering whats gonna happen next......and my friend who lives in same town only saw them once not over a period of 6/12 months like u sed x

What pct are u under as some pct`s make u jump through hoops b4 u can see the wls team.
Even if u could not take the meds you would still have to go along to the appointments,most prob see a dietician, cant tell you how many times you would see them but quite a few pct`s are very strict on the amount of weight you have to lose first be you take the next step.
There are quite a few people on here who have gone through the weight management clinic and maybe if u post which pct it is they can offer u more advice :)
Take care xxx

hi ,

I dont think anyone on here is under my pct as when I posted about my surgeon on here nobody replied .ty for posting x

HI
I had to do 6 months weight management and continue on xenical whilst recording everything i ate and drank. I lost 2 stone and was referred for wls.
I am under salford pct. It is a minimum of 6 months. They used to let you go once then make a decision as to if to send you for wls I think it is now a rule in most places (could be wrong) that it is for 6 months so that you can follow a healthy eating plan to prepare you for wls or any other option available.
helen
x

HI
I had to do 6 months weight management and continue on xenical whilst recording everything i ate and drank. I lost 2 stone and was referred for wls.
I am under salford pct. It is a minimum of 6 months. They used to let you go once then make a decision as to if to send you for wls I think it is now a rule in most places (could be wrong) that it is for 6 months so that you can follow a healthy eating plan to prepare you for wls or any other option available.
helen
x

Thanks for posting Helen, the trouble I will have is that I cannot take any weight loss pills no more under the advice of my gp, now the other dilemma I have is that if I lose 2 stone my BMI will not be sufficent enough for me to qualify for wls with comorbidities, I am on border line as it is.....damned if I do , and damned if I dont eh! thanks for replying tho x

bloody so unfair isnt it this is what i though I didnt want to get below 4o bmi and when i went to see the surgeon last week he got my height wrong and i was marked at almost 50 bmi when i am around 44.

i was soo worried that i woudl lose weight (which we all can) and then be told no go on back to your life you are fine you can spend x amount of years dieting on and off, fat a bit thin a bit and on and on
but no that snot what it is like at all the weight management nurse i had was fab and although she gave me some bad info i.e. that i could have a band with pcos under Mr Ammori, the rest of her info was first class.
Good luck, my diet pills never came into the weight management as my pct dont talk to each other and therefore my gp although she refered me for weight management never really had anything to do with me again so i just phoned up every time i needed a new prescription but i dont think it woudl have mattered if I was on no tablets if you know what i mean
Helen
xx
good luck hope you get what you want

Bluediamond I was in the same position,lost 3 stone under weight management and bmi went down.Then put some back on after two ops.Saw doc at wm and he said,dont worry if your weight goes up and your bmi is 45 you get the surgery.Plus co.morbs.I think its so they can make a case for you by documenting your losses and gains to put forward for surgery.How you cant keep it off.Hope so anyway cos I have been seeing him for 13 months now.Next appointment 25th sept.really expecting a date then.

Bluediamond I was in the same position,lost 3 stone under weight management and bmi went down.Then put some back on after two ops.Saw doc at wm and he said,dont worry if your weight goes up and your bmi is 45 you get the surgery.Plus co.morbs.I think its so they can make a case for you by documenting your losses and gains to put forward for surgery.How you cant keep it off.Hope so anyway cos I have been seeing him for 13 months now.Next appointment 25th sept.really expecting a date then.

Hi Julie

I think that what happened to B an B could be happen for you too.

I reckon that if everything has been documented at your doctors and any hospitals then that has to count, especially if you can't take any more meds for WL...When you take that info to the weight management clinic, what else can they do as you have done it all and can prove it too.

What is PCT???...Perhaps someone will respond now as we do have a lot of newish people on Mini's.

Hope it all goes well for you.

(((hugs)))

Hi Julie
My WMC said that if I lost 5 stone I will still get referred for surgery. I have to lose 5-10% while attending WMC before I can get referred to the surgeon. This came from the weight loss clinic consultant and it's to prove my commitment towards the surgery.

Good luck with your appointment Julie.

Hi Julie
My WMC said that if I lost 5 stone I will still get referred for surgery. I have to lose 5-10% while attending WMC before I can get referred to the surgeon. This came from the weight loss clinic consultant and it's to prove my commitment towards the surgery.

Good luck with your appointment Julie.

thanks for all your replies , means alot....with regards to weight loss, i have lost 4 stone already on my own, think this would count as showing commitment wouldnt u think lol............just the last of my weight approx 5 stone i need help with ...........

Hi BD, I am having help from WMC (the only one in Wales). As you may know from my constant moaning about it, WLS generally does not happen in Wales so the weight man clinic is the only help available - therefore I think it may be different from your experience.

Basically, there is a consultant, a dietician, a psychologist and 2 nurses. The first 3 assess your needs and take a full account of dieting history and decide with you what kind of input you will need. The nurses are responsible for weighing, measuring, blood pressure - things like that.

I lost roughly 2 stones plus with them before I realised I was getting no-where fast ( particualrly as it was two pounds off one week and one gained the next - sometimes more) and I had to have the surgery. They were very supportive of my WLS even though I was self-funding, and, as WLS not happening in Wales means I am something of a novelty to the nurses who have never met anyone who has had it done. I still go and get weighed there.

Really hope all goes well for you, I would be very vocal about what you feel you require and how well you have done to prove commitment so far with your weight loss so far.

Very best wishes to you

Jen x

Hi I attended the obesity clinic for 1 year. I went for initial appointment of form filling, psych assessment done through form filling, weight, height, chat, bloods. I went back 6 weeks later and started the programme. Milk diet for 3 months going and getting weighed and blood pressure checked every 2 weeks. After that they start to introduce food slowly by doing part milk diet and having I think it was one meal a day from a list given to you. Eventually you see the dietician rather than the dr and she gives you a diet to follow. I was also put on a tablet that has now been withdrawn because it was causing depression in too many people (me included). After the year I went back to see the lovely Dr Finer, he is such a caring man, I have never seen a consultant that has so much time for you. He is now at uch London. He recommended a gastric bypass as I had started to put weight back on and even though I had lost 3 stone my bmi hadn't gone down below 50. So he applied for funding for me. That was last December. Last week I was told I didn't qualify for funding. We are going to appeal (my gp).

Back