• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss question

carebear1

I'm 4 wks post op(bypass) and I've not lost any weight??? I lost 8lbs right after my op but none for 3 wks. I've been doing my normal routine since I got home after surgery(housework,cooking,school run,running the kids to varies appts) I don't drive so bus it or walk.

I also do 30 mins on my cross trainer everyday(Not enough I know but I'm not that fit lol). I can't have fruit except in smoothies yet but have been having mashed veg. Why do you think I'm not losing weight? I lose more weight on Cambridge diet with my old stomach even with stalls,TOTM etc and its making my regrets worst :sigh: I sadly don't love my bypass because my tool its not working and I don't feel in control of my body and I hate that:mad: it normally works with me

Yesterdays menu
S Smoothie- semi skim milk,1 scoop of diet protein powder and 5 frozen cherries(had 100mls of it)
B 1 egg scrambled with 9g low fat philly
L 2tbls purée chicken in white sauce and 2 melba toast
D same as lunch

50g juice(mixed into my litre water)
1 litre water(maybe a little more) I know it should be more and I'm trying.

Myfitnesspal says I had 500 cals. I always choose protein for my meals and watch my carb,fat,cals intake.

Hi Carebear. Are you sure it's not water retention and swelling after the op? Mine was only 3 days ago, but the top half of my belly is quite swollen so would guess I'm carrying a lot of fluid at the moment. It'll take a fair time to go down. It may just take a few weeks for your body to unwind. Do you feel OK?

It should be a stone per month in the initial stages - its early days, and you'll still have inflamation etc inside. Are you a scale slave? ie, how often do you weigh? What are your clothes telling you? Sometimes the dial on the scale doesnt truly reflect the weight loss - chin up, you'll get there!

Thanks for everyone's replies. Pre op I use to get water retention but I could tell from my feet(they go huge) but they are fine. I feel as though I've not had a big op, I feel back to normal apart from a few dizzy spells,muscle spasms,pins and needles I'm good(I am taking my vits)

Kind of a scale slave(once a wk)but because its not been moving I wasn't going to bother go on yesterday but did and its STILL the same as three wks ago. I can't tell from my clothes because pre op they hung off me but if I was losing I should be in a smaller size. I just feel lost,pre op I would be losing even without doing exercises.

your stats say you have lost 66lbs, is that correct and if so in what time scale. I know that you say you have stalled for 3 weeks but if you have lost all that weight in a short period of time, sometimes your body just needs to play catchup. You have lost a lot of weight and then undergone quite major surgery and it could just be your body's way of making sure it is able to heal and recover properly. The weight will come off and I am confident that very soon you will love your bypass. x

your stats say you have lost 66lbs, is that correct and if so in what time scale. I know that you say you have stalled for 3 weeks but if you have lost all that weight in a short period of time, sometimes your body just needs to play catchup. You have lost a lot of weight and then undergone quite major surgery and it could just be your body's way of making sure it is able to heal and recover properly. The weight will come off and I am confident that very soon you will love your bypass. x

58lb was lost pre op just from cutting down cal and cutting out carbs from around august last year and I didn't do any exercises. My nurse thinks its unusual because I have been active and that's when she said I could start working out( I was 2 wks post op)but she did say my face was smaller.

I'm just going to have to wait and see I guess:sigh:

do you think you're eating enough calories I know we don't eat much at first but I think you seem to be doing quite well with everything else so maybe it's that :) it's hard to equate eating more with losing but it really does work xxx good luck and I'm sure you will soon be posting how much you love your bypass x

You won't always see water retention in your legs post op - as soon as I'd lost even a little, water would fill the space so I wouldn't seem swollen but I was retaining. I find my fingers hurt now if I'm retaining.

Well if weight loss is visible on your face that is a good sign cos thats where mine came off first, then shoulders, arms, goes downwards slowly, bit by7 bit week by week, get your measurements taken measure them once a month and you will be surprised. x

Thanks for your replies ladies :)

angiemason I did have a little extra cals on that day. My 4 yr old had an 18g bag of chedds(tiny chedder cheese squares) I had 6 and the next day I was up by 3lbs so I think Yvessa your right maybe some water retention. chrisa thanks I'll start taking my measurements and might take comparison pics too

Today I feel better. Even if my body resist and the bypass doesn't work the best for me at least I got threw the op and no matter how many cals I may have to drop to shift the weight I won't feel hungry :) I was expecting to much and I'll just be happy with no complications and on the plus side I really think its helping my crisps addiction :D

I did speak to my dietitian and she said my body is stubborn and holding on to the weight and she said there was another woman who didn't lose for 8 wks and when it started she lost ok. She also is making me an appt to come and see the team.

Thanks for your replies ladies :)

angiemason I did have a little extra cals on that day. My 4 yr old had an 18g bag of chedds(tiny chedder cheese squares) I had 6 and the next day I was up by 3lbs so I think Yvessa your right maybe some water retention. chrisa thanks I'll start taking my measurements and might take comparison pics too

Today I feel better. Even if my body resist and the bypass doesn't work the best for me at least I got threw the op and no matter how many cals I may have to drop to shift the weight I won't feel hungry :) I was expecting to much and I'll just be happy with no complications and on the plus side I really think its helping my crisps addiction :D

I did speak to my dietitian and she said my body is stubborn and holding on to the weight and she said there was another woman who didn't lose for 8 wks and when it started she lost ok. She also is making me an appt to come and see the team.

Thats good news - talking to your team was probably the best thing to do. Puts your mind at rest, eh? ;)

I've never been able to get my dietitian on the phone so was very surprised when she answered. She along with the replies above have definitely put my mind at ease, Thanks all :)

I feel for you as I am going through the same! I am 3 weeks post op and have stayed the same for the last 2 weeks which is disheartening me. I did lose 12lb in the first week. If I had lost that over the 3 weeks I would have been happy but because I haven't lost for 2 weeks it is worrying me!
I am hoping that it just restarts soon and am trying to think positive.

I feel for you as I am going through the same! I am 3 weeks post op and have stayed the same for the last 2 weeks which is disheartening me. I did lose 12lb in the first week. If I had lost that over the 3 weeks I would have been happy but because I haven't lost for 2 weeks it is worrying me!
I am hoping that it just restarts soon and am trying to think positive.

Horrible isn't it hun:( I just don't want my team to think i'm doing anything wrong because i'm not. Yes we must keep positive and I hope when it starts we both get nice BIG losses :D

I convinced myself for weeks after my bypass 'its not going to work for me'
Because my losses wasn't huge,and at times it dishearting coming on here and reading how well others was doing(even though you shouldn't compare with other,we do its natural!)
Well all my little losses added up to me getting to a size 8/10 top 12/14 bottom,from size 26
I'm 2 1/2 yrs post op..
Good luck to you both x

I Think your body is in shock. Try up the water a tad measure yourself the scales will move soon Promise. Try uping your protein a bit If u r having any. I am sure they'll move soon. Keep us posted hune.good luck!

I'm sure once it kicks back in it'll go down in steps, though I understand your frustration.

Thanks all :) and WOW emma-louise that is awesome hun,that must feel soo good. OMG JoeH its nearly here yayyy, Good luck with your op :)

Its just REALLY hard not to feel like a failure. My water intake is much better i'm actually getting about 2 litres but weight wise its not making a difference. I did have a teeny smile today when I fit into a size 22 onesie/sleepsuit whoop. My size 26 jeans I wear with a belt now because the other morning when I was carrying something to my house they kept falling down even with another trousers under them. I cant wait to buy smaller clothes :D

Sounds like you need to buy some now if your jeans are falling down............:) this made me giggle, Ive decided im buying all second hand (unless a special party to go to) until I get to an ideal weight then I will shop until I drop ...............xxx

Back