• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss surgery choices????

As soon as my band was fitted my portions decreased so much and I lost a large chunk of my weight quickly and before my first fill.
I was wondering if not ever filling the band is an option. I mean, if some ppl (especially volume eaters, as I am) lose weight without the first fill, then maybe it is best not to touch it (?)

Excercise with a band port

I have another question, about excercise and the band. Do any banders out there do sports that require lengthening the stomach, chest, and shoulder muscles? e.g. swimming, aerobics, pilates, tennis, etc. Any difficulties?

I was wondering if not ever filling the band is an option. I mean, if some ppl (especially volume eaters, as I am) lose weight without the first fill, then maybe it is best not to touch it (?)

It could be yes, one of my friends has never had a band fill but she did say her surgeon as a rule fits the band higher. Therefore there is a smaller 'pouch'.

I have another question, about excercise and the band. Do any banders out there do sports that require lengthening the stomach, chest, and shoulder muscles? e.g. swimming, aerobics, pilates, tennis, etc. Any difficulties?

I do a fair bit of exercise including swimming, as long as you wait for the period of time the surgeon recommends post op you will be fine ;)

peggysue said:

Running? Body combat? Aerobics? Step up? Yes and it's all normal :)

I am due to have my band fitted on 23rd Aug, something I have been looking into and considering for 7+ years.

I have chosen the band because
~ I have a severe fear of being under anaesthetic and this is the shortest time
~ I didn't want the irreversible effects of the bypass/sleeve
~ when I saw Dr Ashton, he agreed that because of my personal circumstances, as well as family circumstances, being single mum, self employed and limited time available that this would be the best option. He discounted the others almost straight away.
~ Price. Although I am still paying £7500 for my surgery it is still less than the other options.
~ it just feels the best option for me after all that I've looked into.

Hi, purely finance. If I had, had the money I would have gone for the sleeve. If the NHS had funded it I would have gone for the sleeve too. But I was not one of the lucky ones and had to pay for myself. So the band was the option I could pay for without any finance it was not my first choice and the port was the thing that put me off, having this device in me, its potential to flip and the band slipping but... In the end I just went for it, it was the band or nothing or rather wait a year to save up for a more expensive surgery and I did not want to wait any more time. I made my mind up and just wanted to go for it.

Back