• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight loss surgery help !!

harvey008

hi i am at the very early stages of seeking help from my docs to loose weight but i am terrified to make an appt because of fear of being ignored, like many i have dieted for yrs, you name it & i've done it. i went to the doc recentley but was told that i'm a big person so basically thats it ! but i want to have the confidence to go to my docs & say out right that i want to be considered for surgery, could any one offer advice. also not 100% sure if i qualify i am 16 + st & 5ft 4. thanks for reading. Anna;)

Hi Anna,

Welcome to Mini's. If you weigh exactly 16 stone then your BMI is 38.5 Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator - NHS Direct

NICE guidelines say a BMI of 40, or 35 with co-morbidities (such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, or any long term illness which is exacerbated by being obese). You can see if your PCT is listed here BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association to see what their particular criteria are.

That should get you started, without knowing your exact weight it's hard to tell, because you may be at BMI 40 or may be just under.

Shel

Hi Anna, I am also at the early stages.I have been on prescribed weight loss pills for a little over 2 years, seeing the nurse every 2 weeks, dietician and too many diets to mention(even atkins yuk). I have recently been referred by the Dr for WLS and was told my chances were good, BMI 49 and also that i had made alot of effort. Even joined a gym(2 years ago). I weigh more now after pills than I did before I started, but I will try anything more than once. So Dr said your a big person, disgraceful. I dont know if you have tried weight loss pills from Dr but I think you should maybe start with them and ask him, they do work for some people and its a start. Good luck.

Hi Anna, For me going to the gp and talking about my issues with my weight and wanting surgery was also really difficult and I can remember sitting in the waiting room shaking like a leaf and crying like a baby when I finally saw my doc - you are not alone!! Its just a matter of biting the bullet and going for it - have a really good think about what you want to say and write it down if need be in case you can't get your words out on the day. Good luck x

Hi Anna and welcome to minis. don't worry about starting your journey your GP should listen to you and if they don't see someone else!!! this site has loads of useful information and stories to help you decide what you feel is best for you. take care x

Hi Anna,

I know only too well how you are feeling. I also found it very very hard to ask my doctor to refer me to the obesty clinic in my area. I too have been through the same as you all the diets ect. I have tried Xenical, Reductil and acomplia. I am now awaiting funding from the PCT.

My advise is to go and see your doctor and just ask him straight out. The worst he can say to you is no and if says no then ask him why. If you are not satisfied with his reply then I would consider finding someone who will help you. No one will do anything for you unless you put yourself forward. If this is what you want then don't hold back, go for it.

We are all here for you.

hi anna i was lucky i spoke to my dr over phone and she had no worries in referring me you have nothing to loose by asking just go for it and good luck

One of the biggest steps it to seek help... take a deep breath and ask, baba... you might be pleasantly surprised ;) :)

x

Hi Anna

I went private for my op, years of being told by countless GP's to diet and exercise left in no doubt that the medical proffesion saw me as a finnacial drain, therefore i chose to do it myself and went private.
Good luck with your comming journey, i promise you its really worth it in the end, i'm 8 weeks post bypass op, i've lost 68lbs so far and have taken 10 inches off my waist size, its the best feeling in the world to walk into a high street shop and be able to buy clothes again :D

Richard

Hi Anna and welcome to minis, I am still in the process of waiting for a result from the PCT for funding, but Louisa Mr Ammori's secretary has sent off my request and is very hopeful. Take a deep breath and bite the bullet, at the end of the day they may be able to offer an alternative if you dont meet the criteria, they are there to help and if you get no joy with your doctor speak to another one that's what I did....good luck...xx

Back