• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Well thats that question answered...

Definitely do NOT underestimate the amount you can eat. I am nearly two years post-op and I can eat a normal adult serving size most of the time now, not a normal pre-op serving size (which was twice a proper adult one) but a normal proper healthy adult serving size. You're pouch can and will stretch if you push it.

Also, I can, and most post-ops I know, can eat a lot more when eating carbs. Based on what you ate all day, I'd say that was probably the problem. Breakfast and lunch were not very protein heavy at all so you could pack in more and still felt hungry but when you had the far more protein rich burger, wham back comes your restriction. That's why you should always follow the rule: PROTEIN FIRST! :)

Definitely do NOT underestimate the amount you can eat. I am nearly two years post-op and I can eat a normal adult serving size most of the time now, not a normal pre-op serving size (which was twice a proper adult one) but a normal proper healthy adult serving size. You're pouch can and will stretch if you push it.

Also, I can, and most post-ops I know, can eat a lot more when eating carbs. Based on what you ate all day, I'd say that was probably the problem. Breakfast and lunch were not very protein heavy at all so you could pack in more and still felt hungry but when you had the far more protein rich burger, wham back comes your restriction. That's why you should always follow the rule: PROTEIN FIRST! :)

As a rule i always go protein first, however at work i struggle for ideas unless it's boiled egg or ham salad as to what to have, i can go to the canteen but i don't want to be buying lunch there everyday and although i say 'don't give me a lot' they must look at me and wonder who i think i'm kidding... As for breakfast, i don't think i've had breakfast if i've not had cereals. Not sure if this is just the habit of a lifetime or what, but i like my weetabix/muesli in the morning...

Any ideas as to what to replace it with?

When I did Atkins I always found breakfasts a problem but used to make omelettes or scrambled egg with sweet peppers or tomato, ham, turkey and cheese rollups or protein shakes. At the weekend I would have fresh sardines or kippers or low fat or quorn sausages turkey rashers with tomatoes and mushrooms. Have a look on the Atkins mini site to get some ideas for protein brekkie.

Well in the US it is pretty much shoved down weight loss surgery patients throats that they must have at the very least 60-80 grams of protein a day. For most of us, especially new post-ops, this means we will have to supplement with protein shakes/smoothies. I am nearly two years out and I still have at least one protein smoothie a day. In fact, that is usually my breakfast. I just toss some frozen fruit (mostly berries), some no sugar added juice, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use this stuff from Holland and Barrett: Supreme Whey | Body Building / Sports Nutrition | Holland & Barrett) into the blender and viola, I have a very yummy, filling, satisfying, and easy on the go breakfast. More importantly, it gives me a protein burst first thing in the morning so I am stating the day off right.

I realise cereal is a staple and not innately bad for you at all but the thing is the point of this surgery is to change those habits of a lifetime that got us to the point where we needed the surgery in the first place. Also, with our new altered anatomies we have to eat differently not just to lose the weight but to stay healthy, especially for new post ops. Protein is a wonder substance, it keeps you full much longer than carbs ever will but more importantly it helps develop muscle along with facilitating your bodies ability to heal and mend itself, something of vital importance in your first few months post op. The importance of protein cannot be emphasised enough, at least that is what my surgeon always told me.

As far as protein ideas for lunch. I always like lunch meat roll ups. Just a slice of your favourite lunch meat and cheese rolled up or even roll up some lunch meat around a cheese stick (like these: Cheestrings 8 Pack Cheddar 168G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries). Cheese snacks are always nice like the Laughing Cow light Babybel cheeses. They are easy to pack for lunch. Also look online for high protein stuff. This site: [URL="http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/"]http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/[/URL] has some really good high protein stuff. Salads with chicken pieces in it is always nice too. You learn to get creative after a while and find new staples that work for you.

I know it can be challenging sometimes to find the stuff that does work for you but it's important. I know I feel loads better when I am getting in enough protein every day. I have more energy and feel more clear headed (I get dizzy when my protein intake drops below a certain level). I would really suggest counting your proteins so that you can make sure you are getting enough. I don't do that every day because I sort of know now what is what after two years but when I need to get back on track I do start counting the proteins again.

Just a few suggestions based on my own experiences so take what you want from it and leave the rest. ;)

I try to avoid cereal and wheetabix for breakfast as I also find I feel hungry quite soon after.

Most of this week I have had a boiled egg. sliced on x2 small melba toasts (no spread/butter/marg) This seems to fill me up for much longer.

Yesterday I had ran out of melba toasts so decided to experiment, I had a slice of chicken sandwich meat. sprinkled it with a little salt, pepper and pinch of chilli powder. I then rolled it up in an iceberg lettuce leaf (as a substitute for carb/bread) Ohhh wow it went down a treat, I felt like I was eating Chinese yuk sung!

I am now going to stock up on iceberg lettuce!!!

Back