• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private band to nhs bypass

blob

Hi all,

I had my band done privately 20 months ago and have lost 6 stone. How ever I have had nothing but problems. My bariatric nurse suggested I go to gp to get funding for a bypass. Has anyone else gone through this with private to nhs? Could I please ask what the procedure was and do you have to go through the why weight etc.

Many thanks ?

Hi all, I had my band done privately 20 months ago and have lost 6 stone. How ever I have had nothing but problems. My bariatric nurse suggested I go to gp to get funding for a bypass. Has anyone else gone through this with private to nhs? Could I please ask what the procedure was and do you have to go through the why weight etc. Many thanks ?

Hi I was banded in 2004 private pay..

Just been revised to bypass after my band kinked and slipped and was unfilled 3 years ago..

I was at an apt with my partner who had WLS on NHS and asked them if I was entitled to NHS revision etc...

They are a fab hospital and told me to get my GP to refer me to them .. They informed me that we are all entitled to revision surgery regardless of whether we paid privately ...

I told my GP and he was fantastic and he referred me straight to them...

I had my first surgeon apt in January 2014 and had my band removed May 21st 2014
Had my bypass July 30th

I'm in Essex and had my referral to St Mary's in Paddington... Imperial weight centre..

Brilliant team of surgeons with a fantastic ethos towards WLS ....

I did have to see the psych and dietician etc but there was no tier weight loss programmes as they don't feel their patients benefit from them ..

I don't know where you are in the uk as criteria differs so much between hospital trusts ..

Good luck and I hope your GP was as good as mine...

I would do some homework before you approach your GP ... Find out the nearest bariatric services to you and find out what their criteria is etc .. Most of the info you need is online and some have referral letters that you can print off to give to your GP ... Sadly most GP are not very informed in WLS ...

Back