• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And in the beginning.......

fuze

Ok so I wanted to start a diary of my journey. Its a long first post as I just want to get down what has happened so far. It is not really the beginning, as like many of you I have struggled with my weight since a very young age. There are many photos of me when I was at pre-school and even then I was the podgy one and since then it has just got worse. Since I can remember I have had the same weight as my age so now im heading into my late twenties my weight has followed and surpassed my age. I have tried many many diets, WW, slimming world, cambridge, lighterlife, and they all work great for a couple of weeks and then my will power fails.

About 6 years ago while doing my nurse training I had a great weight loss with slimming world and stuck to the diet for a year and lost 5 stone, then my mum took seriously ill and died. I dont want to place blame anything or make an excuse but it devastated me and I just stopped caring about anything. So the weight went back on plus more in the space of just 6 months! It was so hard, I had to sell my mums house (and mine as I was only 21 at the time and so was still living at home while doing my nurse training at the local hospital), and plan her funeral and deal with solicitors and everything (as I had already lost my dad to cancer when I was 16).

Anyway after some time I decided that I needed to live my life, my mum and dad would want me to live my life to the full and make something of myself. So I made the decision to go for weight loss surgery as it seemed to be the tool i needed to help me. I went to a private company offering gastric bands and they said I was ideal for the procedure so I went ahead with it using the money my parents left me. I thought this would be the start of my new life so I had the surgery done on my 22nd birthday. The procedure went ok and to start with I got a good restriction and lost a couple of stone. Then 8 months later I had a problem- something got stuck and I ended up in hospital for a week not being able to eat anything until they could figure out what to do with me (my local NHS hospital had not come across many WLS patients so were at a bit of a loss). Anyway I got better and a few weeks later I had a barium swallow to check all was still ok and I was given the OK! I then had several fills to the band but with no use. I was able to eat what I wanted when I wanted and I was never feeling full, I was still feeling so hungry. I was so worried that my band had slipped so I had another swallow and they said that there was no slipping and everything looked fine. I was at my wits end, I had no idea what to do next so I went to see my GP who referred me to Dr New at Salford Royal. I first saw Dr New about 18 months ago and he almost instantly said that I needed to have a Gastric Bypass. He said that I should never really have had a band as even then my BMI and the type of person I am indicated I needed to have a bypass, but at the time the company I was with only offered bands. I felt a bit robbed really as I had put my faith in them to do the right thing but if i had not had a band I would not have had surgery with them (I know its a bit cynical but now I think to myself all they wanted was my money!).

Anyway like I said I saw Dr New about 18 months ago and he recommended me for Bypass. I was a bit shocked that he thought such drastic surgery was really my last hope. So I went home with some websites and places to get information from and an appointment to go back and see him 6 weeks later to tell him what my decision was. If im being honest I did not want to look at the information as I had thought that it would be too scary as I thought there was a really high mortality with this procedure. But after doing some research I decided that it was the best thing for me. I did not currently have Diabetes but I was heading that way and my blood pressure had started to creep up due to my weight and I had tipped the scales at 28 stone! my heaviest yet, something needed to be done and this was it! It has been hard coming to terms with what I will be having done and its permanence but I am 100% sure this is right for me. It was hard to talk to my partner about it, I suppose its hard admitting to anyone that you have a problem and need help. He is very suportive and is with me all the way. He loves me for me.

So here I am 18 months since my first appointment with Dr New, Ive had my funding approved (that took ages!) and I have had my appointment with Mr Ammori, the dietician, the psychologist and the anaesthetist. I have had my preop done, my sleep test, ECG, Echo and my lung function tests and I have my surgery date.... the 3rd of August. I am due to start my liver reducing diet a week today but I have already been careful with what I eat for the last few weeks, just trying to cut down.

It is a very scary thought that it is so soon. I am so conflicted too, on one had I am so so scared of the operation, im scared i wont wake up after the surgery or that something will go wrong during or after the surgery, i keep thinking to myself I could die, is it worth it? then i think that if i dont have it done my risk of health problems being this weight is so high that my quality of life and length of life will all be reduced. On the other hand im worried they may cancel the surgery. As i mentioned I used to be a nurse in the NHS and I know the elective surgeries can get cancelled at the last minute due to there being no beds available in the hospital or because I get sick or the surgeon or anaesthetist. It is all ifs', but's and maybes, but it still worries me, possibly more that the prospect of having the surgery itself.

Anyway that is me up to this point. There are some things I will talk about in later posts about my life as they would just confuse things to talk about them now. I know I have typed alot but I hope you find it interesting. Ill keep you updated!

Wow What an intresting first post for your diary. You have been through a lot and I am sure you are doing the right thing by having the bypass, It is a rollercoaster of a ride but one I am positive you will enjoy especially when the lbs just start to drop off you. I felt very emotional reading your story and can understand how your feeling as for me this Op has been life saving for me. I still get emotional because I am so gratefull to Mr A for doing the Op on me because I am so much happier with myself now. It really does change your life for the better.
I really do wish you the best of luck and looking forward to reading all about your progress and your weightloss.x

Hi there and welcome to the diary section. You are in safe and wonderful hands with the people at Salford Royal, I had my surgery there back in October. It is natural to worry but just be confident that you have in my opinion the best man for the job! I basically was given my life back through my surgery and I am thankful every single day, I just wish I could have done it 5 years ago!

Best of luck on your journey and I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Nic:D

It was a very inetersting first post and I wish you well for your upcoming surgery I am sure you will be in safe hands

M

thanks for sharing with us and i look forward to further installments as time goes by and a whole new way of life opens up before you with the new reduced you

Thank you for your replies it means so much!!
I have just had a bit of a panic...... I just worked it out and to get to a healthy BMI I need to lose 15 stone! is that even possible??? I have been reading everyone's stats and cant find anyone who has lost that much, am I going to be able to do this?? arrrrggggghhhhh

Yes you can do it, I know at least 2 members who have lost more but they don't post frequently. OlsBols lost 17stone & Wannalose18Stone lost 14stone in only 9 months! It is in your reach you just have to really, really want it!

Best of luck,

Oh i do really really want it. It is a totally consuming thought now I am so close to the start of it all. I want it to be the start of a new life!

Hi there. I just wanted to say good luck for your op. I had mine at Salford in April and I too think that the surgeon is fantastic! Your post is very interesting and so sad and hopefully this will be your extra happy ending....anyway - good luck! Hopefully you can make it to the support groups at Salford. The 1st one is 5th August so obviously you wont make that one, but the second one is the 2nd wekk of September so fingers crossed we will see you then!
Good luck - take care - and speak soon
Sally x

Of course you will make it, you will find yourself living a whole new way of life as a result of the weight loss, the more you lose the more you will find you can do. The doubts you are having are natural ones we have all gone through at some point.

Ok so today is my last day of normal eating! I start tomorrow on the pre-op diet which I have to be on for 2 weeks. In honour of my last proper meal for a while we went out yesterday for a meal at Chiquitos and we had the nicest nachos and I had enchiladas and then for pudding I had churros (these little donut things that are a bit like donuts but much nicer) and dipped them into melted chocolate!!!! mmmmmmmmm it was soooo good and now I feel that I am ready to start my formal pre op diet to reduce my liver size. Im not looking forward to starting the diet in one respect but on the other hand im looking forward to the count down for surgery and the feeling that im doing something constructive before surgery.

I have also started to panic and worry about all the things that can go wrong, I really think I need to stop obsessing. I dont think this is all helped by the fact that I am off Uni at the moment for my summer holiday and have far far too much time to think about things and read about the complications etc. I am saying this to myself: 'STOP FOCUSING ON THE ALL THE NEGATIVE! HAVE A HEALTHY BALANCE BETWEEN A HEALTHY AMOUNT OF FEAR AND LOOK AT THE POSITIVE TOO!!!!!!!!' This is what I am going to be focusing on for the next few days I think. You guys help so much with your reassuring words and being able to see your success stories is fantastic.

I have been hit by the recent sad news of 2 people passing away after WLS but I need to remember that this is 2 people against all the success stories on here. I thank the people who had the bravery to post their news on here, be it bad or good as it is so important to know all sides of the story (so to speak).

Sorry if i have rambled on, but it really helps to verbalise these things by writing them down, and if it helps me I hope that it could help others to know that others are thinking the same!

Good luck, here's hoping to seeing a lot less of yourself!

OK so I thought id put up here the dietary advice I have been given by the hospital for my pre op liver reducing diet. I have to follow this for 2 weeks:(, today is day one lets see how it goes........

Menu suggestions
Breakfast
3 tablespoons of low sugar cereal (porridge, bran-flakes, rice krispies)
or
1 slice of toast with a scraping of low fat spread

Lunch
1 slice of bread with a scraping of low fat spread with:
small portion (2oz) lean meat or fish
or
small portion (2oz) cheese
or
2 eggs (not fried)

salad as desired

Dinner
Small portion (2oz) lean meat or fish, Tofu or Quorn based dish
or
small portion (2oz) cheese, or 2 eggs,
or
3 tablespoons of baked beans, lentils etc (cooked weight)

and
1 small potato or 2 tablespoons of pasta or rice (cooked weight)

Vegetables as desired

Daily you can also have:
- 1/3 pint semi skimmed milk for use in drinks and on cereal
- Fruit as desired (eg apple, orange, banana, pear)
- Water, tea, coffee, low calorie squash or fizzy drinks
- 1 low fat low sugar yogurt or fromage frais
- 2 tablespoons of low calorie mayonnaise or dressing, mustard, ketchup etc.
- 2 tablespoons white sauce or gravy etc

Notes:
1 slice of bread can be interchanged with 2 crisp breads, 1 small pitta bread or 1 small chapatti

Avoid:
Biscuits, cakes, puddings, chocolate, sweets, nuts, alcohol.

So here it goes..... ill let you know how it goes........:wave_cry:

it is only 11:53am on the first day......... IM STARVING!!!!!!!!!

I did the same pre-op diet and I was starving too. Try some carrot or celery sticks with a bit of fat free yogurt, a squirt of mustard and a little sugar substitute as a dip. It will give you a little snack to have between meals.

I did the same pre-op diet and I was starving too. Try some carrot or celery sticks with a bit of fat free yogurt, a squirt of mustard and a little sugar substitute as a dip. It will give you a little snack to have between meals.

WOW Thanks for the advice that sounds yummy!!! Am I ok to eat carrots, others on here have said not to have root veggies. I was trying to find out if i could have carrot soup (homemade) but others were saying that you should not have them. I was confused as the only restriction my little book things says is a very small potato and then free veg! Im sorry to ask questions about this but I really want to make sure I can do my very best to loose weight on this diet and make sure my liver is ready for surgery!!!!
Thank you !!!!!

Good Luck Fuze.

Hopefully I'll be joining you very soon - just waiting for that date now. I've got quite a lot to loose as well about 13 stone.

I too have been looking at the risks of surgery but I'm sure the very small risk will definately be worth it as the weight starts to come off.

All the very best for 3rd.

Kay.

Thanks for the insight Fuze. That doesn't sound much to eat, if/when i get to your stage i may have to have annual leave from work if i gotta cope on that small amount. Wonder if there's any change in diet for diabetics, although i am only type 2 and on tablets not insulin....

Back