• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What are your eating habbits Post Op?

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
I just wondered how seriously other people are with their diet post Op?
I am 8 Months post op, and have reached my target weight. M wife thinks I am too strict with myself, as I will only eat foods very low in fat, sugar and salt. I only allow myself 1 coffee per day with no sugar. otherwise I just drink water and certainly NO alcohol. I dont eat bread or meat and not even chicken. I will only eat fat free yoghurts etc and so on.
I would be interested in what other post op people have???

Regards

KIM

Last edited:
I'm still pre-op so can't really comment although I hope/think I'll take it very seriously as the thought of being this size for rest of my life is very scary for me!!

Just wanted to say that I think you've done fabulously!!!

Hiya, i am quite strict mate i don't eat any sweet stuff only because i have always been frightend of dumping and i eat low fat cheese yoghurts ect. I do however eat an occaisonall scratching but i also eat steak, chicken, pork, lamb any meat really.:eek:

I'm still pre-op so can't really comment although I hope/think I'll take it very seriously as the thought of being this size for rest of my life is very scary for me!!

Just wanted to say that I think you've done fabulously!!!
Aw thanks hun, that is really nice of you to say. x

Still treat it very seriously mate. I'm not saying I don't have bits what I don't fancy. I've had fish and also packets of crisps etc but I still don't have chocolate or sweets etc and always sweeteners in my drinks instead of sugar.

I have relaxed a bit but I generally follow the 'guidelines'

The thing is, you've been there and you don't want to go there again, just like me, and it's a scarey thought us heading down that line again!

As I have crappy will power and still have all my old food addictions (but to a lesser extent) I eat healthy all week and keep to a calorie limit right for my current weight height and age, then on Saturdays I eat what I fancy though it's a lot lot less volume that it was pre op. It's working OK and is keeping me more or less on an even keel. Still really learning how to kick my eating problems and lose the rest of my weight.
Hopefully I will be able to have a good balance and not be focused on food when I get to maintenance.

Hi Kim - Great news on reaching target. I think you have phrased your question a little wrong for me....I do take my post op diet seriously, however I still tend to eat hat I wish, in moderation. I dont eat a low fat diet all of the time, if I fancy a bit of summat, I tend to have it. I was told from day one that this isnt a diet, its a way of life forever and there is no way I could face not having the things I like. Unlike eating 8 packets of crisps and a can or 3 of coke, I have 1 bag and a diet coke.
I have recently switched to decaffe tea and coffee due to my pregnancy, however all fluids count as fluids, so that doesnt bother me either.
I do (or pre-pregnancy) take my diet seriously - I am a little lapse with it at the moment - but will get back on track after the baby.
Sally x

I try to follow the 90/10 rule. I make good choices 90% of the time, but do allow myself treats and things I fancy.

I have posted many times about how I had this op for a normal life, and I know that many dont agree with me. Normal people have the occasional pack of crisps or chocolate or biscuit. I dont have these things every day, but when I do I dont feel guilty.

With my more active lifestyle and 90% good choices Im confident that I will maintain, but if I start gaining again then I will cut out that 10% and be more strict with myself.

I would be terrified of gaining weight back on. I know we cant physically eat as much as we used to, but I have to be this strict I think, and remain in the zone. I wouldnt dare try anyting like chocolate, cake, pop etc, and to be honest, I dont want that stuff anyway.

I eat:

Salads
Pasta
Yoghurts
Fruit
Eggs (poached or scrambled)
Ryvita
beans
fish
baked potatoe (No skin)
Special K bars
Fruit n fibre cereal
porridge
Odd slice of toast (with beans or low fat cheese)
Weightwatchers soups
Snack-a-Jacks

Thats basically what I live on.

Hi Kim - Great news on reaching target. I think you have phrased your question a little wrong for me....I do take my post op diet seriously, however I still tend to eat hat I wish, in moderation. I dont eat a low fat diet all of the time, if I fancy a bit of summat, I tend to have it. I was told from day one that this isnt a diet, its a way of life forever and there is no way I could face not having the things I like. Unlike eating 8 packets of crisps and a can or 3 of coke, I have 1 bag and a diet coke.
I have recently switched to decaffe tea and coffee due to my pregnancy, however all fluids count as fluids, so that doesnt bother me either.
I do (or pre-pregnancy) take my diet seriously - I am a little lapse with it at the moment - but will get back on track after the baby.
Sally x
Hi Sal, yeah your right, I have changed the title flower. Congratulations on your pregnancy BTW. xx

I also tend to eat what I want and when I want. I do feel that when I stop losing weight, which at the mo i still am, and never had a stall, I will switch to a total fat free low calorie diet. It just at the mo I feel I need something to fall back on should I stall. The same with exercise, I am doing strenous mucking out but am leaving the gym stuff till I stop losing.

I now have butter in my mash, something I never had before but I would of eaten about 4lbs spuds instead of the large tbls I have now. I like sauces on my meat not the low fat type. I also do try to eat as much protein and its protein first, veg 2nd and fruit next. I dont like ordinary fruit now, but do love it tinned but tend to have it in fruit juice. I luv at least one glass of orange juice a day.

I have the occasionally vodka and orange as a treat or when I out, which isnt very often.

I just seem to be eating 1/16th of what I used to eat.

I do feel I should eat more yoghurt for calcium and have just recently made myself drink at least one milky drink a day.

I am actually worried about losing weight too quickly as i have lost 5 stone in 4 months, without really trying the low fat stuff.

Hope this helps.

Well done Kim you have done a fab job and your are an inpiration to a lot of us, someone we can look up to. xx

I'm seven months post op and can say that I haven't 'cheated' once. By that I mean that I've kept free from sweets, crisps, alcohol, high fat, high carb etc etc. To be honest, I love the food that I eat and don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything at all (apart from toast which I sometimes crave, but avoid because I know that I would never just have one slice - it would be tempting to have four!)

Actually, I ate a pretty healthy diet before - just much too much of it! xx

Cracking thread - v v v interesting! x

Wow what a brilliant thread, so many successful big losers all posting in the one place, its made me so happy to read all your successful points and how you manage your weightloss :D

Ooh, one other thing I try to stick with is low-sodium. I've never added salt to anything, not even during cooking but I also check the labels. Marmite is the worst thing that I have sodiumwise. xx

I have been strict although i do eat meat, if I didn't i would not get my protein in, but now I am struggling to maintain, I am told by the hospital to eat a wider range, full fat milk, butter and richer foods, and I am finding if I have a day when I can't eat much I lose the next day on the scales..... its weird now!!

its good to know how you treat food post op - thanks for this thread - ill be following it with interest! x

Kim you have done great i'm just a bit confused as to why you don't eat meat? Is this a life choice (vegetarian) or a decision you made after surgery?

Kim you have done great i'm just a bit confused as to why you don't eat meat? Is this a life choice (vegetarian) or a decision you made after surgery?
No I love meat, or I did. it used t be my favorite food pre-op. I tried eating it months ago. it makes me feel very uncomfortable when i have eaten just a few bites. even chicken. and I feel so bloated and full, which is why I do bother now.

Ahh okay. Meat does make me feel very full also but i was guessing that is a good thing as i eat less when my meal is protein heavy....

So what would a normal days intake be for you? One days menu i mean? I just wonder what your days food is like xx

Back