• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got my diet sheet today - have some questions...

RoseA

My pre-op diet starts on 6 May. This is what I am allowed to have:

1. Clear soup (stock cubes, stock powder, home made stock)
  2. Sugar free jelly
  3. Clear fluids, tea and coffee with milk but no sugar
  4. Bovril or consomme
  5. A portion of steamed, grilled or baked not fried, fish or chicken for my evening meal with green vegetables or green salad only. Or a vegetarian option of eggs with green vegetables or green salad.
  6. Strictly no bread or bread products, no pasta, potatoes or rice
  7. Three pears a day
I know I've got another week before I'm supposed to start, but I'm going to try and work up to it gradually instead of going into it cold. So I went straight into Sainsburys when I left the hospital (had to park there anyway as the hospital car park was full :mad:) and stocked up on SF jelly, Bovril, pears, consomme, and stir fry veg for tonight's chicken.

I'm really disappointed though, that I've been told I can't have any yoghurts - not even fat free ones. :confused:I've got a fridge full of Muller lites - I just hope they last till I'm allowed to eat them again !

I wanted to get some more drinks, but I'm confused about the difference between "no added sugar" and "sugar free". I've already got some NAS cranberry juice which I like - is that OK ?

One final question... what constitutes "a portion" ?? I'm assuming it's not half a chicken :D:D, but how much is a portion ? And if I decide to have an omelette - how many eggs can I have ?

Rose :wave_cry:

As a rule a portion of meat is one that should fit into the palm of your hand (the use of the hand means that your portion size is individual to your hand size and, therefore, appropriate to your frame!)
A 2 egg omlette is considered a portion.

As for the juices, sorry babes, but no you can't have it. A rule of thumb should be that the drinks should be relatively calorie free (no more than 20 or so calories per 500ml, as a limit)

Once you are banded you will need to avoid 'drinking' your calories, so now is a good time to start.

HTH!

I did the food option on the pre op diet and I was only allowed 2 eggs as a portion and 50g of chicken or lean meat. With regards to the drinks I have always had either sugar free volvic flavoured water or NAS squash, my dietician said both were fine.

Good luck for the pre op diet and your operation.

One of my friends freezes Muller Lights because she eats them like ice cream so I think you could keep them in the freezer till you're allowed them. Just a thought...

One of my friends freezes Muller Lights because she eats them like ice cream so I think you could keep them in the freezer till you're allowed them. Just a thought...

Great idea - thanks !
Rose

OK... day one of my pre-pre-op diet :eek: and I have had:

2 cups of coffee with milk
2 Muller Lites
1 bowl chicken noodle soup
1 baked chicken thigh with stir fried veg
1 sugar free jelly

I just hope I can keep this up...

Rose

rosea
i woudl suggest you contact you own dietician as my diet sheets here say i can have fruit juice approx 150ml, and meat is approx 100g as for eggs 2 eggs = a portion but no more than 5 a week.
As i say i this is my diet sheet from charring cross and your hospital may do things different x

cant you see i am new to all this sorry guys xx

cant you see i am new to all this sorry guys xx

Tracey - please don't apologise ! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post :) We were all new here once and we stick around because it's such a great place to be. xx

Thank you Rose, but anyone else i am so sorry just re read what i wrote and i am so sorry,what i wrote about being new i sounded so rude !!!!

please believe thats is not me i dont know what come over me to write that ........what i really meant was i am new to this and therefore forgetting to check everywhere before leaving comments .sorry again guys x

i am surprised and what you could eat pre -op rose my list is longer than that x

i hope you are doing well x

Thank you Rose, but anyone else i am so sorry just re read what i wrote and i am so sorry,what i wrote about being new i sounded so rude !!!!

please believe thats is not me i dont know what come over me to write that ........what i really meant was i am new to this and therefore forgetting to check everywhere before leaving comments .sorry again guys x

i am surprised and what you could eat pre -op rose my list is longer than that x

i hope you are doing well x

Thanks for asking Tracey, I didn't find the pre-op stage too bad actually. I'm finding it harder now I can't have any solid food at all. I'm bored of soup and shakes !

Tracey Ive done exactly the same thing, being new on here, glad I'm not the only one :) xxx

Rose just keep imagining the end result look at pictures and why your doing this. Ive not done it yet and know its going to kill me, good luck xxx

Back