• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What counts as water???

Miss Tickle

I know this sounds a daft question but I know that our water can be counted if it's part of some, but not all other srinks. In a bid to imcrease my wl a bit I've looked at my intake and realise that the less I drink the less I lose. I'm going to make a real effort and start measuring my drinks again. I'm just not sure what counts as though.
Does tea?
Does coffee made with water?
Is NAS okay or should I just drink plain water?
Do herbal and fruit teas count towards the total?
And what about milk?
And is 2 litres a day enough. That's a big ask for me and really don't think I could manage any more lol!

The more water you drink the less water you store in your body therefore you lose weight if you drink more.
This doesn't go on forever though once your body reaches the balance between intake and outgoing the weight loss will stop and I doubt it would be more than 1 or 2 pound anyway.

NAS is OK but I personally wouldn't include Milk, tea or coffee in my "water" intake but that is a personal choice.
The more you can drink the better it is for you as it also helps to rid the body of toxins by flushing out the Kidneys.
I'm supposed to drink 2 litres per day as I suffer from Kidney stones but in reality I probably manage no more than a litre.
There is another benefit to drinking more water and that is it will satisfy your hunger to a degree and therefore you should want to eat less.
plus there's the added exercise with all the trips to the loo :)

I was told all drinks are classed as fluids!

I have been classing all my drinks as fluids x

I've just done a continence management course (for work, not myself lol) and water can be taken in in many guises such as ice lollies, sorbet, jelly, gravy, stews, soups, juices, milk, anything wet in fact. I expect that plain water is able to be used quicker and in our case staves off hunger but all the above count towards liquid intake according to the NHS Incontinent Management Unit nurse who taught the course.

Kate x

Due to my complications following bypass (NOW HISTORY!!) I still have a peg feed tube in situ which only gets flushed with water now but its been a great way to up my fluids. Alas I am pleased to say it gets removed on Friday so I will have to learn to DRINK!

Thanks for posting this thread!! I drink quite alot of tea and coffee, but only really have about 4 glasses of water a day, and then that's because I'm swallowing pills - but I suppose even the water I use for meds counts. . . hope so anyway!!

It's interesting though, to read the differing advice that people are given.

I've always wondered what counts as water. I'm not keen on plain water but ok with favoured. Is that alright? A very interesting thread indeed x

I'm sure that I remember a dietician telling me that as long as it contained less than 40 cals/pint I was OK. I got "hooked" on Tesco's sparkling flavoured water. That has just 20 cals/litre and I would consume 2 bottles a day when I was hard dieting, prior to my surgery.

I still go through 4 bottles a week and keep a supply of the 500ml bottles in the boot of the car, just in case.

Was advised (not in relation to bariatric surgery, but may still be relevant) that coffee does not count towards your water intake.

In fact was advised up to 4 cups can be ignored (ie don’t count towards water count) but for every additional cup of coffee had to consume the same amount of additional water just to break even as coffee is a diuretic (ie makes more liquid come out than goes in...)

Thanks for the great replies everyone. The coffee debate is very interesting. It does seem to be a general no no ! Today I 've had several cups of tea, as well as some water. I'm hoping that tea counts as I'm sure I read somewhere that it's hydrating? Alsogood as it's full of antioxidants.

Back