• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do I say ??

kemp13

Hi guys I'm a newbie !

I'm about to go and see my gp this week to ask to be refered , I want to go fully armed with all the information I need as I was turned down when I was 18 for a bypass.

I'm now 32 and have a bmi of 50.6 and weigh over 21 stone I'm so desperate to do this and need all the help I can get

Thank you so much x x

The best thing to do is read as much as you can be prepared to jump through whatever hoops you have too and most importantly have an answer ready when they ask you why you want surgery and what type of surgery you think would be best.
Good luck x

Morning Kemp
Like Fee says go fully armed .. Make yourself heard and be stern enough to show that your are serious ..
I could not get a referral at all where I live and had to go private . I begged pleaded and cried but nadda .
I wish you all the luck in the world . I really do :)
Please let us know how you get on
Xxxxx

Thanks guys

I'm just waiting for results of diabetes test then I'm ready to make the appointment, I have printed off details from nhs England with all the requirements just incase he doesn't know what they are
I'm also taking a list of everything I have ever tried to lose weight from childhood to the present day I can't do more than that, I will let you know how I get on

I am being refered !! But awaiting a call from the gp to see if I have do do 12 months tier 3 or straight to tier 4 for 6 months as my bmi is over 50, she also said the goal posts have been lowered in my area and funding is available
And so the journey begins

Hayley x x

Congratulations and good luck!

I found them really brilliant from start to finish , I thought all the team were great I love the dietician Clare she is so friendly and they all put me at ease whilst also making me understand what I was letting myself in for ( no one can really prepare you mentally for after ) but they prepared me and armed with with all the info before. After the op the nurses where all really nice but they are no nonsense when it comes to taking your meds and getting you up and out of bed asap. I'm back in for my first major check up since op on the 16th , and am actually looking forward to seeing them so we can see all the progress that I have made. You should have no worries being referred to Aintree. Anything else you need to know just ask as that's what we all here for . A bit of support and first hand understanding goes along way. I had read these pages for months looking for info before I posted I just had felt like it wasn't real till I had my op date. It may seem like ages away before it happens for you but it soon comes round x:D

Aww that's brilliant I can't wait but I know I've got a long road ahead, thanks for the reply and I will keep you updated it sounds as though you have done really well !

I haven't found many people on here with experience of aintree or merseyside in fact so I'm glad I found you !

I've just had a call from the gp I will be seen sooner rather than later ?? Not sure what that means but I'm happy she has my blood form ready and waiting for my referral, happy bunny

Last edited:
No problem, I had the same issue with not being able to find anyone else in the Merseyside area. I will really look forward to hearing of your progress. :)

Back