• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers: What if this IS the normal? Regain, Bounce Back weight

So pleased to hear that Chrissy. Means you are back to your old self again wohoo, you have come a full circle but learned an awful lot. xx

deep depression is a terrible thing whether weight related or personal :( it's not a pull yourself together thing that can be done overnight, I can always tell when I'm slipping back and make sure I see the doctor straightaway after past experiences of trying to ignore it and getting myself in too much of a state ,the trouble nowadays is counselling is only done for a matter of weeks not as it used to be for as long as required ( more cut backs ) I definitely agree it should be made a priority when weight loss surgery is given x

I agree angie.. Even though I have bipolar affective disorder which involves along with the highs intense periods of terrible depressions intensified by the fact I am stillk trying to come to terms with the loss of my daughter, I did not see a psychologist before the op and my cpn and psychiatrist say the don't have enough knowledge of the associated psychological problems of weight loss surgery to be of much help in that respect, but at least I get to see them regularly, but no counselling offered at all. Our bariatric team at bournemouth doesn't even have a psychologist yet, and I'm sure they are not alone in this.. It is something that definitely needs addressing especially with bariatric surgery on the increase..

Hiya Chrisa,

You are so right. I think it's all about embracing a "new normal". I know it sounds a bit cliche', but what else should we do? "We"-the we that are now post op and live this life-we who live in the actual skin of one who knows...we need to keep talking to each other and coming to understand what things are REALLY like.

I do think post op life is amazing! I also think there are areas we could all use some support in still. It's just so very new-this whole weight loss surgery thing. Even our dear surgeons and doctors don't have all the answers. I suspect many of the answers will come from "us". :)

hello Benrese, lovely to read your posts, I am 17 months post op and do agree that we will find our healthy weight which will be different from some, and yes I worry bout regain as I haven't got down as far as I would like yet, I am still in the 14's and would love to be in the13'
s think that would be my limit without looking unwell. The truth is we don't really know what our bodies are capable of and it is always guna be a struggle to stay healthy. x

Hi Amanda,
Great post! Yes- this part "Our bariatric team at bournemouth doesn't even have a psychologist yet, and I'm sure they are not alone in this.. "

Now that is exactly what gets my attention. The thing I am thinking is that if we all continue communicating with each other and growing our long-termers group out---we may be heard.

I am currently working on putting together a really simple online survey where folks can say what things they are finding difficult post surgery and what area of the country they live in, etc.

If not for us post op-long termers...well..who is going to tell the professionals the truth of it all? :)

I agree angie.. Even though I have bipolar affective disorder which involves along with the highs intense periods of terrible depressions intensified by the fact I am stillk trying to come to terms with the loss of my daughter, I did not see a psychologist before the op and my cpn and psychiatrist say the don't have enough knowledge of the associated psychological problems of weight loss surgery to be of much help in that respect, but at least I get to see them regularly, but no counselling offered at all. Our bariatric team at bournemouth doesn't even have a psychologist yet, and I'm sure they are not alone in this.. It is something that definitely needs addressing especially with bariatric surgery on the increase..

Yes! I have had depression too, Chrissy. Absolutely. I have had wrong ideas about what my body looks like, I have had strange feelings about not liking my new body, sort of feeling too exposed...if that makes sense?

Yes to all of it. We do have the power and intelligence between all of us to pull together and start getting some real communications out to our medical professionals. There isn't anyone more qualified or better to do it than we are!! :D Hugs!

Hi Benrese

I think it will be the sleeve. They had said the bypass, but there may be complications when they get in there and after doing some research and reading 'sleevies' on here, I think the sleeve would actually be the better option for me.

The fact that I am so willing to speak to someone, is because I went through a VERY bad time over Xmas & new year. I couldn't get to visit my family as I was too ill to drive the 180 miles to see them. I spent it totally on my own and to be truthful, I was not in a good place mentally and I didn't feel safe being left on my own! If I had known where to go, I would have signed myself into somewhere, just so I could talk to someone about how I was feeling. Things really did get that bad! This is why I feel we need therapy after having the op. I don't think I will be the only person who has got to that stage. Anyone else that suffers with depression, will understand where I am coming from with this. My bariatric team (Albeit only the surgeon, dietitian & 1 nurse!!) all knew about my depression and the fact that I have tried to take my life once before, but still I am not offered any help and left to cope with it on my own.

If I can help anyone by telling it like it is, then it is worth it........If anyone else suffering from depression has read this, please, push for being given the option to see the psychologist after your op, if you feel you need too. Don't leave it like I did........ I found the strength from somewhere to be able to be here to tell my story......... On another day, I may not have!!

We must have therapy after our ops!!!

By the way....... I am fine now and really on a high. My brain has come out of neutral and is firing on all cylinders!! Lol. :)

Hugs & take care
xx

Yes, dear Emma-it's a HUGE and massive job indeed!! I raised 1 little lamb on my own-I cannot imagine more than one!! Kindness to ourselves is something that adds value not only to us-but certainly to our little ones who watch us to understand how this big wide world works!
Hugs,

I really need to learn how to be kind to myself far more!
Due to being a mother to young children all my time and effort goes on them.

Gosh, just had to do a quick post before I go to bed for tonight.

I would really like to thank each of you who have participated and given your honest feelings and real experiences to this thread-which means to each other, and me.

It means more than I can really tell you. The information you have shared in just this one thread confirms what we all have suspected. We need a bit more, and we are going to need to be the ones to vocalize this.

I want to commit to you all that I will continue on with gathering information and research, as well as asking you all to continue to lend your brilliant experiences to these threads.

I know how low I have felt in my days when I was isolated and not sharing all these changes with others. It was very lonely indeed. Thanks for the wealth of courage and inspiration you all have already shown!!

Ah well, I have gabbed on now and Monday is HERE! Good thing I can still sleep a few hours before ..gasp ...WORK ensues!!

Thanks to you all again and feel free to continue to post your thoughts and ideas here. I so do look forward!!

:gen126:

Gosh, just had to do a quick post before I go to bed for tonight.

I would really like to thank each of you who have participated and given your honest feelings and real experiences to this thread-which means to each other, and me.

It means more than I can really tell you. The information you have shared in just this one thread confirms what we all have suspected. We need a bit more, and we are going to need to be the ones to vocalize this.

I want to commit to you all that I will continue on with gathering information and research, as well as asking you all to continue to lend your brilliant experiences to these threads.

I know how low I have felt in my days when I was isolated and not sharing all these changes with others. It was very lonely indeed. Thanks for the wealth of courage and inspiration you all have already shown!!

Ah well, I have gabbed on now and Monday is HERE! Good thing I can still sleep a few hours before ..gasp ...WORK ensues!!

Thanks to you all again and feel free to continue to post your thoughts and ideas here. I so do look forward!!

:gen126:

I will look forward to any information/research you may bring to this site.
Best wishes x

Back