• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens next? After 1st meeting with GP to discuss Gatric band

LisaMay

Hi!! Im at the very beginning of what appears to be a long wait until I get even close to having a gastric Bypass.

I have just had my first chat with my doctor about having a gastric band fitted. She is being very supportive and is going to get the ball rolling for me. Im just wondering now what happens next? I.e what kind of timeline can I expect until the OP also my doctor mentioned having to jump through a few hoops before getting it. Im getting bloods done next week. Can anyone give me any advice as to what to expect in this process. My doctor thiks I will be referred to Derby for the OP but that is all i've been told.

Any advice would be great :) Thanks!!!!

sorry I can't help as I went private for my band but wanted to say welcome. I love my band even in the difficult times :)

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with whichever option you take :)

Well you will probaly get an appointment to see the doctor who does the operation and them a group meeting. If all goes well you will be put on waiting list I don't know about your hospital but mine doesn't have any beds at moment so am just waiting to either get a bed or they might send me to a private hospital to have it done. Good luck

I'm on the waiting list at derby, and it's all been a very quick and easy process for me, derby has an agreement with lincolnshire pct which means that once the consultant gave me the go ahead at my first appointment I had instant funding. I do know its different if your from a different area then you have to do a weight management coarse I think? But once you've been back to your 3 month follow up if you've lost weight or stayed the same and they think your in the right mindset they will place you on the waiting list
Hope this helps :)

Yeah thats right Kirsty! But I never had to do the whole three month part. I did the weight management course and saw the GP who put me on the waiting list straight away. I've been on the weight list for nearly 4 months now and am yet to see them again. I suppose thats good in one way because I haven't lost a great deal - but I havent put any on so i suppose its not too bad. LisaMay where abouts are you from?

Yeah thats right Kirsty! But I never had to do the whole three month part. I did the weight management course and saw the GP who put me on the waiting list straight away. I've been on the weight list for nearly 4 months now and am yet to see them again. I suppose thats good in one way because I haven't lost a great deal - but I havent put any on so i suppose its not too bad. LisaMay where abouts are you from?

I didn't have to do the 3 month wait either which he told me only happens to less than 1% of his patients, I didn't have to do a weight management either I literally went to my GP ask to be referred she said yes instantly got an app thought from derby about 8 weeks later at my 1st app the consultant had been called away on a family emergency so I got weighed and saw the dietician then came back a week later got weighed again and lost 10lbs so he put me on the waiting list the same day and here I am 7 months later and very close to getting my date for surgery ;)

Back