• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What has been the hardest thing to adapt to post op?

top_kat

I am due to have my band fitted on thursday. (OMG that sounds so close lol)

I am just wondering for those who have their bands fitted, what has been the hardest thing you've found to adapt to post op? What changes were the hardest for you to implement?

And also, are there any things that you thought would be difficult but you actually found easier than you had imagined?

On my pre-op, I'm already noticing a very slow change in the mindset, times when I could have "given in" but refrained (a huge achievement for me!) and I know that overall that I am expecting this to be an ongoing battle, am just wonderin what everyone else found to be the hardest changes to adapt to?

:)

Kat x

Hi Kat,

this is a great topic! I am really keen to see what others have come across after their surgery. How is it all going?

Good luck with the op :D

1. Hardest thing ... Taking compliments and being the centre of attention ... I still prefer to blend into the background, and want people to understand I am still the same person on the inside as I have always been :rolleyes: Most difficult to implement ... Eating slowly!

2. Easiest thing ... Was addicted to bread / toast ... And I really am no longer bothered by it at all. I rarely have it now, and if I do, it's only because I know one slice is going to keep me full for the next three or so hours ...

3. Easier than I imagined ... Being able to enjoy a treat without it leading to guilt trips and viscious circle of eating cr@p. now that self empowerment, is soooo liberating!

Top kat ... Go in with realistic expectations, be prepared to make changes and work with your wee silicone tool and you can be really successful! and even better there will be lots of of us banders with different experiences, here to try and help guide you in the right direction :)

Michelle, thank you so much for responding. My downfall is bread too so I totally get that lol and this is something "Most difficult to implement ... Eating slowly!" which hits home with me too, am always rushing around, cook, eat and then out, so trying to work this around everything else and having the time will be something I will have to really work with :)

I find it easiest to eat watching tv or being on the pc typing, stops me feeling I have to continuously have cutlery in my hand :)

Yes I went from eating at the table to the sofa for my meals, I thought the angle I then sat at made it easier to go down, but it could just be I slowed down

Hardest thing...alcohol! Sorry but it has to be said! I gave it up for 9mths...and I missed it dearly but was all worth it! As for bread, as it's a toughie no matter how much you love it pre op you soon learn to loathe it post op.! Only need it getting stuck a few times :)

Easiest thing....shrinking clothes sizes and all the compliments :) although sometimes you do get sick of talking about it, but then it's a case of being grateful that friends are curious and supportive! At least now at goal it's a shorter conversation! Lol

Hi Kat

Eating slowly and not eating at the table with family has been the hardest for me, although once back on solid foods I will resume my seat!

The easiest has been not eating in quantity, something I was anxious about because I always ate fairly heathily (or so I thought) but ate lots of it. I am using My Fitness Pal and I am enjoying planning my calories, planning healthy meals to ensure I get my protein. Small acheivements at the end of each day when I hit my protein target, hit my calcium targets etc.

Nicest thing has been finding this forum and all of the support from likeminded girls and boys!!

Good luck for this week Kat (& everyone else who is having surgery this week), so looking forward to welcoming you to the losers bench. It really is rather nice and very rewarding over here!!

I think I would agree 100% with this. Eating slowly takes a lot of getting used to but you do get there and also the bread thing, it is so strange I used to have toast for breakfast the a sandwich for lunch and pasta for tea some days but now I just do not fancy/want it - its strange!!

I'm not a bander, but the hardest thing for me to get used to was portion sizes. If I put too much on my plate, I find it difficult to throw food away. I s'pose we're brought up to not waste food, so it stems from then. I also find it difficult eating in front of others who don't know I had the op - eating with family is fine, but I seem to just push the food around my plate when it's others. I have gone off my 10-15 cups of black coffee per day, and taken to milky drinks (latte, ovaltine, hot chocolate, etc.) yet pre-op, couldn't stand anything so milky, which is quite surreal...

The strangest thing to get used to are the compliments!!

I found the pureed stage easier than I thought, and my recovery was a lot quicker than expected. Also the daily medication - I thought I'd forget to take them, or struggle swallowing pills, but it's all slotted in to my routine fine. The other thing is that I think I know my limits already, yet thought it would take months to learn.

You'll soon have a great long list of your own, and I'm sure it won't be as bad as you expect.
Good luck! x

Hardest thing - the first time I was so upset over something and I just wanted to eat everything in sight. Well I couldn't (I was on the mushy stage) so I had to learn other ways of dealing with it.

I thought giving up rice and pasta would be hard but I dont miss them at all. Bread although I didnt eat much pre op has been easy to avoid too. I wasn't prepared to risk them swelling, getting stuck etc.

I am still amazed at how small my portions are and that if you eat the right things you really are full for a good few hours.

I can't physically eat if I feel nervous / stressed or forced. One of my brothers is terrible for trying to rush me when I'm eating and eating in front of strangers isn't easy!

Still don't regret it for a minute, good luck :D xx

Hi there .I find eating out the most difficult now .I used to be addicted to bread any kind, any colour and way .Toast ,rolls, pita you name it I would eat it .I was a toastaolic .I now find lunch out is really hard it s either bread or Soup doesn't seem like any body does anything else .good luck with your band .Oh I don't miss bread at all now , only had 1 slice since my band was fitted in January and it nearly killed me ,pasta and rice are a no no for me also , but I'm soooo glad. I've taken to eating crackers they are a better snack .liz x

Last edited:
This thread is really useful! I was told not to eat bread and rice after the surgery (booked for 22nd Sept, band) but then read about people not being able to eat chicken meat and pasta.

So what do people eat?? I tend to eat on the go because of my job so am into convenience food as also not very organised. Is there anyone like that on here who found a way to make that work?

Thanks!!!

Gemby28 said:
This thread is really useful! I was told not to eat bread and rice after the surgery (booked for 22nd Sept, band) but then read about people not being able to eat chicken meat and pasta.

So what do people eat?? I tend to eat on the go because of my job so am into convenience food as also not very organised. Is there anyone like that on here who found a way to make that work?

Thanks!!!

Not without changing Hun...let's be honest unless you buy a pack of chicken for lunch most grab n go stuff is high cal/high carb. In the main I'd make a salad up night before, only takes 2mins but so worth it!

Jos right. Prepare ahead. As they say, fail to prepare, prepare to fail! I take my lunch bag full of healthy stuff with me, as I travel a lot. I do manage meats, pasta, rice, bread in small amounts but followed providers guidance re when I could introduce them back into my diet. Some banders follow a really low carb diet so don't eat much of these anyway, but my dietician told me off for trying to restrict carbs...she told me I just had to focus on band friendly foods with protein first and foremost. So pre prepared cooked meats (so long as you are not a vegetarian) are a fantastic source of protein and filling.

Lunches could be salad with protein; crackers and protein such as egg/cheese/tuna/wafer thin meats; marinated tofu or Quorn with roasted vegetables; or couscous with lots of roasted veg; diced salad and fresh herbs with finely diced chicken. I make things up in batches of 3 or 4 portions, so each morning I can just grab a plastic tub and go ...

Hey when u say wafer thin meats would you know if bernard matthews turkey ham is included in that, i love the stuff lol thanks charlie xxx

Whatever you like and your band can cope with :)

Yeyyy i hope mine can cope with that then : ) im still on mush at the minute but just jotting down ideas to get my meal plans together for in a few weeks time, looking forward to some more variety, i can start on soft foods on wednesday eeeekkk : D xxx

Back