• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is a mini gastric bypass?

Hi there, sorry I haven't a clue what the difference is, in fact it's the first time I've heard of it. I am sure that someone will be along shortly who will know what it's all about ... I'd be interested too ... Beth :)

There has been a few queiries (sp) about this lately, there is a little bit about it in "Weight loss surgery for dummies" that says:

The mini gastric bypass is not a new procedure, but it is a new procedure for weight loss. This procedure, like the gastric bypass, was originally done for stomach ulcers. A long thin stomach pouch is created with staples. A loop of small intestine is then brought up to the new pouch. The small intestine is not divided, so there is only one new hookup. This procedure may result in a high rate of ulcers around the hookup. As of this writing, only one randomised study has been conducted comparing the Roux-en-y gastric-bypass to the mini bypass, and the data shows that the weight loss is approximatly the same. No long term studies have yet been conducted to verify the weight loss data or to see if there are any higher complications with the mini gastric or gastric bypass. There is little role for this operation in prsent dat weight loss surgery.

Hope this helps.

and:

Mini gastric bypass surgery is less invasive than traditional gastric bypass surgery. By using a laparoscope, the surgeon does not have to make any large incisions in the abdomen thus lowering the risk of large surgical scars or hernia. The procedure also differs from other gastric bypass procedures in significant ways.
As opposed to the popular Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure, which staples the stomach to create a small pouch after which a Y-shaped section of the small intestine is then attached to allow food to bypass the lower stomach and first part of the small intestine, the mini gastric bypass is a newer and somewhat simpler procedure. The stomach is similarly stapled but instead of a small pouch, it is formed into a narrow tube, which is then attached directly to the small intestine about six feet from its starting point, thus also bypassing the initial highly absorptive section.
The benefits of Mini gastric bypass surgery are a shorter, less invasive operation and quicker recovery time. Like traditional gastric bypass surgery, mini gastric bypass surgery is only for the morbidly obese who have not been able to lose and maintain weight loss after significant efforts at lifestyle change in the form of diet and exercise.

(((hugs)))

Back