• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what is a mini gastric bypass

jellykelly

I'm quite familiar with a gastric pass but heard the term mini gastric bypass mention a few times on this site ?

any know the difference , explained relatively simply :)

I'm having a mini bypass at Spire, Southampton on 20th of this month (eeekk!!!) and had the difference explained to me by the consultant. As well as one join in the intestine instead of two, the stomach pouch shape is slightly different.

The mini bypass is still unusual in the UK (only done in Sunderland and Southampton at this point), but is the most common one done in Europe so a lot going to Belgium have it.

It gives the same results as RnY, but the actual procedure is quicker and has slightly fewer risks due to lesser number of joins in the intestine. Mini by-pass can also be reversed if necessary.

Sundown I am under Southampton too have you done tier three with them? I have completed tier three in July, have funding approved and had a call last week offering an appointment next Friday to meet nurse and Mr Byrne. Please get in contact with me would great to here your route...

Sundown I am under Southampton too have you done tier three with them? I have completed tier three in July, have funding approved and had a call last week offering an appointment next Friday to meet nurse and Mr Byrne. Please get in contact with me would great to here your route...

Hey BBC :)

I was on Tier 3 in Gloucestershire but dropped out after administrative screw-ups and loss of confidence in the system there. I went private and, after research, decided on the mini bypass.

I had my consultation with Mr Byrne a couple of months ago and booked in for the op after holidays. Mr Byrne is lovely and extremely experienced. He totally put my mind at ease and explained all the options.

I have my pre-op tomorrow - I'll let you know what that involves :)

So what's they expected weight loss % and does it still keep you fuller for longer

Sundown how did it go

the pouch goes to about size of a boiled egg and is harder to stretch than a regular fist sized stomach, You feel full on not a lot of food. so smaller portions contribute to weight loss, I was a real greedy glutton, and am now not hungry, but apparently appetite returns after about 1 yr. The first 2metres of the small intestine are bypassed which is where the fats and sugars are taken from food into the body, this is bypassed so malabsorbtion of fats and sugars also contributes to weightloss along with the reduced portions. That is how my surgeon explained it and also said the mini description is misleading as is not a mini operation, he said they should have named it maxi
That said I am glad I had it as for me, I can live without sugary stuff, would take a starter over a dessert and a cheese sandwich over a cake, and I can have low fat cheese for the protein
What you need to think about is can you do without the fats and sugars as if eaten, will run right though (I haven't so this is what I believe not know)
I was also told food tolerance is better from MGB than other options, less throwing up after when on full food
Good luck in whatever option you choose x

Sundown how did it go

Hey BBC

It was very quick to be honest! I was in and out in 30 minutes flat. They did a blood test, nasal/groin swab for MRSA and took a urine sample (that was the only pain as I'd had a pee the moment I walked in the hospital!)

On the weight loss. I was told around 70% of excess weight can be expected with Mini bypass, sleeve or RnY - but naturally everyone is different; some may lose more and some less :)

Hi sundown did they give you a date for surgery or tell you how long you would likely be waiting? Xxx

I'm doing it privately so I just liaised with the provider about what date I wanted. I've got the op on 20th October :)

Ah I see, good luck!!! Not long now ? xxx

No, not long. I am absolutely crapping myself! Ha ha

Do you have a date for yours yet?

I bet lol, no not yet waiting for an appointment to see the surgeon and climbing the walls hahahaha xxx

"Climbing the walls" at least you're getting some exercise Jen,lol

No, not long. I am absolutely crapping myself! Ha ha

Do you have a date for yours yet?

Sundown, be glad you can crap yourself, cause after the surgery its not going to so easy for a while :)

Sundown, be glad you can crap yourself, cause after the surgery its not going to so easy for a while :)

Lol. Well I guess that has to be better than the other extreme. Figs for you hey? :)

Just gritted my teeth and pushed through, literally, found out hydration is key.

I bet lol, no not yet waiting for an appointment to see the surgeon and climbing the walls hahahaha xxx

Ahh I remember that well (I started off on my local NHS Tier 3) but you'll get there. My tip is to do some research on your surgeon before you see him if you know his name. I went with a list with such things as:

- How many of those operations the surgeon does a year
- How long he's been doing bariatric surgery
- What his personal mortality rate is and what he thought my likelihood was
- What his personal rate of major complications is
- In his experience, expected rate of weight loss
- In his experience, percentage of people who regain the weight long-term
- Which procedure he thought was best for me (if you get a choice)

Just gritted my teeth and pushed through, literally, found out hydration is key.

I don't know about you, but I really struggle drinking liters of cold liquids, but I find it a lot easier drinking warm liquid. My 'go to' for hydration is hot water with a slice of lemon in.

Back