• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is the best and most effective type of WL surgery?

AnonymousME

Hi I am nearly 19, I m 6ft 1, and weigh 19st 12lbs, so BMI of 37.6, would I be eligable for WL surgery?

Being of the larger shape, has really knocked my confidence. Being this size has lost me all motivation and get up and go. I have tried healthy living plans, diets, you name it! I just cant seem to shift it! I really want some WL surgery, but dont want the wrong one, so which would be best?

I have read Dr's reports online stating that having a WL surgery while still young, you are more likely to hit your target goal and keep the weight off.

Is there any one else on here my age thats had it done?

Thank you all in advance, and Happy New Year!

Hi Anonymous ME and welcome.

Whether you qualify for NHS funded surgery would depend on which PCT you live in. you can find that information for many PCT's on the BOSPA website although it is not up to date for some areas in which case somebody here may know.

As for which surgery will be best, this very much depends on what your eating habits are. There is no point me having the band as the sort of foods I eat would 'slip through' and while I know I have to reeducate myself, to take it to that extent would be putting more pressure on me than I could cope with and I'd fail. But i know many people that have had the band and done really well.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck

Hi Anonymous ME and welcome.

Whether you qualify for NHS funded surgery would depend on which PCT you live in. you can find that information for many PCT's on the BOSPA website although it is not up to date for some areas in which case somebody here may know.

As for which surgery will be best, this very much depends on what your eating habits are. There is no point me having the band as the sort of foods I eat would 'slip through' and while I know I have to reeducate myself, to take it to that extent would be putting more pressure on me than I could cope with and I'd fail. But i know many people that have had the band and done really well.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck

Hi thanks for your response, and I have just checked and in my local area you have to have a BMI of 60+ or 45 with diabetes etc
So thats me ruled out :(

How much would you recommend going private?

My eating habits are Lunch and Dinner and most days, but not everyday, Breakfast. I am a snacker! I never feel satisfied with a meal of any size and am always hungry, I get hunger pains everyday!

Back