• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What next after failed Pre op?

Shadylawns

Hi all,

Well I rang my surgeons secretary as advised to see what my options were. There was only one option really, and I should have been told this on Wednesday - I'm automatically taken off the waiting list and have to begin the whole process again, starting with an appointment to see the consultant.

I can expect an appointment in about seven months or so.

So.......

I'm going totally back to basics with my eating just doing some good old fashioned calorie counting and taking it slowly, and see how I go.

You've all been great on here, dead supportive and that. I will keep popping on from time to time, please all take good care of yourselves.

I'm filling up now! :wave_cry: Pass the Kleenex!

:break_diet:

I know it won't feel this way for you but..... it's a really positive thing thats happenned because you will now be in the right frame of mind to really go for it with your heart and soul and that will make you all the more successful post op.

I totally believe that if we aren't ready to make and sustain these small changes pre op then post op will be a nightmare. I'm not preaching by the way as I have my pre op on 7th May and quite frankly I'm pooping myself as I've not been 100% good but have been trying to be sensible 99% of the time.

It's hard isn't it but you will get there x

Thanks paddyp, my hubby said more or less the same, I've been given an extra chance to prepare better and be sure. He turned it into a positive.

Hi Gutted for you. It is so hard to maintain when appointments are so far apart. I live in Mbro however was bypassed in Sunderland. But I do know North Tees and James Cook waiting lists are really short, and closer to Redcar. Maybe try to get transferred? The process is only 5months from start to finish I think x

Can I ask whether you were expected to complete a weight loss management course before being put forward for surgery?

Keep at it and before you know it seven months will have gone by and you'll have your appointment and like others have said you'll be better prepared ;) x x

Whatever you decide to do Shady am sure you will do to the best of your ability. Good luck with your future and we all know it will not be easy, but if you wnat it bad enough you can move mountains. xx

Good luck for the future I'm sure you will learn by your mistakes and come back stronger. I also think we should all learn from this, that it can all slip away if we don't knuckle down and work hard.

lindy62

good luck and i hope all goes well in the next coming months

I know this won't help with the disappointment but I was referred by my GP February, 2012 the last appointment I had at the hospital was June 2012 they "lost" me after my sleep study, until I contacted the hospital two weeks ago. In the time I had I've lost a pound short of 5 stones. From over 22 stones to just over 17 stones and now they can't do enough to help me. You can do it and just when you get stuck and stall you'll be ready for your operation. Well that's what I've found.

-hugs- I'm so sorry though.

You can do it Shady xx

It's cold comfort for you but I have just learned that my provider, Forth Valley Health, are making cutbacks and according to my dietician it "seems" to be those that don't show commitment to weight loss that are losing out in these financial decisions. Other care providers also are now taking this hardened line too. As hard as it may sound we can no longer hide behind the "If we could lose weight we wouldn't be needing surgery" war cry. I have been guilty of saying this to myself in the early days of my wlsurgery journey when I was asked again to attend the local dietician dept for several months. Again as usual when i was faced with my poor weight loss at each appointment I would get all defensive & make every excuse under the sun to explain my failure. My head just wasn't in the place it needed to be. It took the local dietician to lay it out on the table for me and she was as blunt as a rock..... She told me that there was no hope of me getting wlsurgery as I wasn't committed enough... I was devastated. I never had to see her again because out of the blue a week later my first appointment for RossHall came through as did the funding for the first stage of my journey but it was the wake up call I needed to get me motivated and to face up to my failings with food. My head is now where it needs to be. It isn't easy but you will get there hun you just have to be honest and truthful with yourself. xx

Last edited:
you can do it Shady.............you still have a chance which is the main thing. So work at it shout it out if ur not doing well everyone will help and remember they may contact you sooner so make sure you are prepared. xx

Hi all,

Well I rang my surgeons secretary as advised to see what my options were. There was only one option really, and I should have been told this on Wednesday - I'm automatically taken off the waiting list and have to begin the whole process again, starting with an appointment to see the consultant.

I can expect an appointment in about seven months or so.

So.......

I'm going totally back to basics with my eating just doing some good old fashioned calorie counting and taking it slowly, and see how I go.

You've all been great on here, dead supportive and that. I will keep popping on from time to time, please all take good care of yourselves.

I'm filling up now! :wave_cry: Pass the Kleenex!

:break_diet:

Seven months!!! Good grief that's harsh. I'm all for the NHS getting tough but chuff me to have t start from scratch seems really hard. Thanks for sharing this the MODs should make it a sticky to demonstrate to pre oppers just what risks they take if they fail to do their bit pre op

I agree with Karlos about it being made a sticky, as its really made me try twice as hard and Im sure it will do the same for others

lindy62

I agree with Karlos about it being made a sticky, as its really made me try twice as hard and Im sure it will do the same for others

lindy62

After reading your story it has really helped me to sort myself out, I put on over a stone since my last appointment and this has scared the life out of me so iv bucked my ideas up and lost a stone of it already and I'm also back to basics on the eating no fizzy drinks nothing with sugar and limiting my carbs and no snacks basically 3 very small meals aday, yes it's absolutely killing me and I'm in an awful mood and constantly want to cry but re read this post and it gives me the motivation
So sorry to hear you have to wait another 7 months Hun hopefully it will pass super quick for you x

Hi, it's just me. Thanks for all the replies, it would be a good idea if I could be a sticky haha!

Well at the moment, I'm back to basics, taking it steady, counting the calories as you do.

Also, I'm thinking of paying for a bit of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, in the hope that it will reinforce my will. I know that the hospital have a shrink, but I'm not prepared to wait for them to get their fingers out, I'll be waiting for yonks!!

Sunderland did offer me psychological help in the earlier days, but I refused, just wanted the op, you know?......I used to say, look unless you can remove my hands, I'm just going to continue eating!! Needless to say, I wish I'd accepted now.

I'm glad that my experience has galvanised the will of some - I always hoped to be a teacher, haha!

And on the flip side of the coin, I've learned a lot, too.

You lot on here are all great. xxxxxxxx

:grouphugg:

Back