• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What percentage weightloss did you achieve?

luscious_peach

Bospa states that most patients will lose approximately 57–67% of their excess weight with the gastric bypass.

When reading people's threads on here - it seems that most are getting into a normal weight range - is this true? Would it be a possibility for me?

I know that it could be the most successful losers are the ones that keep posting but it would be great to know what is likely because if BOSPA is correct - I could only really hope to get within the obese category of BMI.

Please would you post-oppers tell me what you achieved please...

Thanks xx

Last time the hospital worked it out it was 105% of my excess weight, but being 8 months pregnant right now it's hard to tell. Then again, being 8 months pregnant and STILL having a healthy BMI should tell you something ;)

Thanks Shel, do you know what you are having? I am so impatient I always wanted to know. With my first child I didn't find out at the usual scans, but I had one when I was in labour and they told me he was a boy - I couldn't wait even for a few hours haha :D

I did the math myself so it could be flawed as math is not my thing but here it goes:

My start weight: 290lbs (20s10lbs)
My ideal weight: 157lbs (11s3lbs) this is the upper limit of my ideal weight for a BMI of 25
290 - 157 = 133
My excess weight: 133lbs (9s7lbs)
My actual weight loss: 140lbs (10s)
140 divided by 133 = 1.0526, or 105%

So in 12 months I have lost 105% of my excess weight!

Nic;)

This ones a boy, we found out at 20 weeks so everthing is blue!

My start weight: 292lbs (20s12lbs)
My ideal weight: 120lbs (8st8lbs) this is the upper limit of my ideal weight for a BMI of 25
292 - 120 = 172
My excess weight: 172lbs (12s2lbs)
My actual weight loss: 156lbs (11st2lbs)
156 divided by 172 = 0.906 or 90%

So in 14 months I have lost 90% of my excess weight!
But due to my height BMI isnt a true indicator so in reality i have probably lost 100%

I did the math myself so it could be flawed as math is not my thing

So in 12 months I have lost 105% of my excess weight!

Your maths looks good to me, but then I'm a pleb :)

Fabulous weightloss Nic, I hope that happens for me! In your experience with others (and as a long time poster), what do you think is average?

This ones a boy, we found out at 20 weeks so everthing is blue!

Awww, I have 2 boys myself - one with social communication disorder, bless 'im. I saw in another post of yours that you have a son with something similar? How many kids do you have? Are the others all excited?

So in 14 months I have lost 90% of my excess weight!
But due to my height BMI isnt a true indicator so in reality i have probably lost 100%

Oh HC, I think you have done absolutely fantastic - I hope I look half as good as you at the end!

x

Awww, I have 2 boys myself - one with social communication disorder, bless 'im. I saw in another post of yours that you have a son with something similar? How many kids do you have? Are the others all excited?

Yes I have an 8 year old with social communication problems, still waiting on diagnosis. His behaviour is very similar to Aspergers though. He is very excited about the baby, but struggling to understand where he will fit in to the family. I think the reality will be disappointing for him!

Yes I have an 8 year old with social communication problems, still waiting on diagnosis. His behaviour is very similar to Aspergers though. He is very excited about the baby, but struggling to understand where he will fit in to the family. I think the reality will be disappointing for him!

Mine was 2 3/4 when his brother was born. He was well p***sed off! Couldn't leave them alone for a minute! Now they are good mates, but the younger one thrives on attention so drives the older one mad lol :), he just wants to be on his own.

You'd need to know what weight you would need to be to have a healthy BMI. I ran your height through a reverse BMI calculator and it says for BMI 25 you should be 159lbs, or 11st5.

So from your start weight 25st5 - 355
take away your target weight - 355 - 159 = 196lbs excess weight.

weight lost / excess weight x 100 = percentage lost so
103/196x100= 52.5%

So far you have lost 52.5% of your excess weight :) which for a band around the 1 year mark is spot on!

In your experience with others (and as a long time poster), what do you think is average?

I will be completely honest and admit that I am biased, since the people that have come up around me on this forum like Shel, HC & Fat-girl-slim have all attained over 90% excess weight loss. I would suggest that is because we have all been compliant to the rules of the bypass and taken on board the need for a high protein diet & carb control, it certainly seems to be the case. I have heard from other post-op who have not lost as high as we have and most admit to 'falling off the wagon' by eating junk food/slider foods, drinking while eating, eating simple carbs as 50% of their diet and grazing throughout the day. I personally think that if you stick to the rules of the pouch you can and will lose the 70-80% of your excess weight suggested plus much more!

For more about the rules, read this:
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-faqs/69900-pouch-rules-dummies-informational-post.html

Hope that helps,
Nic:)

I'm 10 weeks out from surgery today, and so far I have lost 41% of my EWL.

This has far exceeded my expectations, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to follow Nic's wise words above. It's all too easy to slip back into bad habits, and I have been guilty a couple of times of having slider foods for convenience instead of preparing a proper healthy meal.

Luckily I'm finally getting to the stage where I can tolerate more variety of foods - albeit still in miniscule quantities, but Im getting to the stage of looking forward to my meals again.

I can only hope to achieve the same success as the people Nic has mentioned.

I will be completely honest and admit that I am biased, since the people that have come up around me on this forum like Shel, HC & Fat-girl-slim have all attained over 90% excess weight loss. I would suggest that is because we have all been compliant to the rules of the bypass and taken on board the need for a high protein diet & carb control, it certainly seems to be the case. I have heard from other post-op who have not lost as high as we have and most admit to 'falling off the wagon' by eating junk food/slider foods, drinking while eating, eating simple carbs as 50% of their diet and grazing throughout the day. I personally think that if you stick to the rules of the pouch you can and will lose the 70-80% of your excess weight suggested plus much more!

For more about the rules, read this:
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-faqs/69900-pouch-rules-dummies-informational-post.html

Hope that helps,
Nic:)

Yep Nic is spot on here & has once again hit the nail right on the head, And you have to remember everone is different. People have different perspectives & feelings and thoughts about the bypass/band.
From what I have read on some threads, I don't think some people had done enough research before they had a Bypass Or Band and didn't fully understand the whole process of having WLS involves.
You really do need to work with your pouch.
The link Nic provided is excellent and I would reccomend a read to anyone considering WLS.

Thanks Nic, I have printed the Pouch Rules for Dummies already and I am highly motivated to reach my goal which is 10 st 10 lbs (dropping me into the normal category).

I have already bought a 2kg tub of protein powder and some skimmed milk powder to add to my milk to have post-op. I have been exercising quite hard for 9 months, so have got used to the habit of it. I just need the op now! A week tomorrow and I can't wait!

oh blow i feel quite depressed now i am 8 months post bypass i have lost 12 stone and i have still only lost 55% of my excess weight. janey:(

Janey dont be depressed. Most of us would be delighted to have lost 12 stones. I know you started off with more to lose than some of us, but dont be in any doubt that your achievements are awesome hun. And you are still losing at a decent rate.

Your a WLS Superstar xx

Back