• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What %EWL were you told to expect?

Sambucca

I saw a thread about this on another forum that I read the other day and its been making me think.

Most of us have got our ticker targets set to a healthy weight which means we have to lose 100% of our excess weight before we have succeeded.

When I went for my first appointment at Walsall and asked how much weight I would be expected to lose with the bypass I was told probably about 70%. I have already exceeded this, yet I feel like a failure as I am struggling so hard to get to a healthy weight.

I'm the lightest Ive been in my adult life, Ive got plenty of loose skin which doesnt help the old BMI, people tell me I look fab (except a few well meaning but stupid people who have told me Im too thin) so why do I feel like I havent quite succeeded when Im wearing size 12 clothes?

Is 100% EWL an unrealistic target? What % weight loss were you told you would achieve? Are you determined to reach 100% however hard it is?

Or is this just me moving the goalposts so I can pat myself on the back and call myself a success story?

I know what you mean Sam! I wasn't told officially that I'd lose 70% of my excess weight, but soon learned that figure through this forum. I've exceeded my 70% and, like you, am near to the goal I set myself. I want to be a normal BMI so have set myself the top weight you have to be to achieve that. But even though I feel great now, I am still critical of myself over both my food choices and my size. Whereas I used to punish myself over my big boobs I now chastise myself over the tiny roll of fat over my jeans when I sit down. I think I'm so used to being self-critical that I don't know how to stop. I wish I could, it's driving me nuts!

I was also told 70% of weight loss! When i last went to see my dietician(march) she said that taking my original weight of 22 stone 3lb into account that at best i could hope to end up weighing was between 12.7-13 stone which is about a 70% weightloss(i think)! At the moment i weigh 11.11 but am aiming for a 100% weightloss that would mean ive got another 10lb to go to get to 11stone which ive set as my goal. I'm still losing an average of 4lb a month so dont see this being too hard a target to achieve, i'll just have to see........

Hi Sam I was told by Mr Ammori 80% Ive gone past this now like yourself has. So I dont know when it will end:eek:. I saw Kath rothwell on Tuesday and I asked when do you stop losing weight she stated 12/18 months. Gail x P.s your looking fab girl!:D

I saw a thread about this on another forum that I read the other day and its been making me think.

Most of us have got our ticker targets set to a healthy weight which means we have to lose 100% of our excess weight before we have succeeded.

When I went for my first appointment at Walsall and asked how much weight I would be expected to lose with the bypass I was told probably about 70%. I have already exceeded this, yet I feel like a failure as I am struggling so hard to get to a healthy weight.

I'm the lightest Ive been in my adult life, Ive got plenty of loose skin which doesnt help the old BMI, people tell me I look fab (except a few well meaning but stupid people who have told me Im too thin) so why do I feel like I havent quite succeeded when Im wearing size 12 clothes?

Is 100% EWL an unrealistic target? What % weight loss were you told you would achieve? Are you determined to reach 100% however hard it is?

Or is this just me moving the goalposts so I can pat myself on the back and call myself a success story?

Sam you look fantastic and shouldnt worry even if you never lost another 1lb! Of course you are a success story just look at the pictures they say a camera never lies! As ive said ive got another 10lb to lose but if i dont get there then it wasnt meant to be as long as i dont put any on! i'm happy with the way i look(apart from the odd self critisism which i think id have if i weighed 8 stone)now and so should you be so try not to put yourself under to much pressure to get to goal cos you really do look great xxx

I was told I could lose around 65%-75% without a huge amount of effort but anything over that would be down to extremely hard work. I am at 74% now and definitely not ready to stop. I work hard and will continue to do so and I definitely would love to see 100% or more but know that is probably unrealistic.

I work out a lot and have instituted all the behaviours I will need for long term success but I still wonder if I will see the elusive 100%.

I was told to expect about 20- 30% of total weight, not sure what that is of excess. A lot of people dont loss it all, I think there are a lot of people here who have done much better than the average so it skews things slightly.
I imagine that the average includes those who loose no weight at all (I think this is about 10%?)

I was told 70% of excess weight, which I would be happy with. I was also told today by my surgeon that the By pass doesnt necessarily work as well for older people.

NOW THEY TELL ME, after they have taken my money.

However I am out to prove them different.

Sam you look fab stop worrying.:)

I was told pretty much what I have done so far..so anything more is a bonus!!! I would be happy to get to average size for my height to just feel normal and know that I have won a few years of life back again :) Sam you look fab...nothing wrong with high standards for yourself but don't let it take away what you have acheived already. You look like a slim healthy happy Mum to me and that is a wonderful thing to have accomplished. Even effortlessly skinny people have their body hang ups...I guess we have to find a point where we come to peace with how we are ..as long as we are in that healthier range and feel good x

I was told 70%. I was also asked what my aim would be. I said 11-11.5 stone or a size 14. Was told that was ok but if I had said a size 10 she said she wouldn't have recommended me for surgery as my expectations were too high.

I think I was told 70% - and that most of the weight would come off in the first 18 months.

The dietician told me 2 lb a week for a year would be just over 7st off - so 18 months = about 10 1/2 st.

Would have been SO pleased with that - so I'm delighted with 96.7% EWL and BMI 26.7

Now the elusive BMI is in sight - about 8lb to go - I would really like to hit that

NEVER ever thought it would be possible though.

Angela xx

I was told 70% by my provider, heck i'm 25lb down and chuffed already! If i get to 70% i will be on cuckoo land, anything more is a bonus xx

At Taunton I was told to expect 50 - 70% EWL combining the bypass with a committed effort from me, but I would like to keep going, whatever effort it takes, so I can eventually get to a 'healthy' BMI.

I remember vagually a figure being mentioned of 60% of excess weight i am now at 88% and still going but i am having to work really hard now to get the rest off. I never expected to reach 80%+ and am really chuffed. Janey:D:D

I just want to say though Sam, I can completely relate to your frustration about trying to get to the healthy BMI but please try and keep it in perspective. It really is an arbitrary number, it is just created by someone and although it would be lovely to be certifiably 'normal' or 'healthy' I hope that I will be able to judge my own success by the likes of my fitness, health and personal judgement.

I have read lots of your posts and you are obviously committed and have done fantastically so far. Try not to be so hard on yourself, easier said than done though!

Good luck
x

I wasn't told anything.... ! I've been set a target for my next checkup but that's it.

I've just looked in the little booklet we were supplied at the info meeting and realised I've never actually read it, yet it contains a vast wealth of information we need to know! Oooops! :eek:

Ok, it says here that with a band you can expect to lose 30-60% EWL and with a bypass that increases to 70-80% EWL. Didn't realise there was such a vast difference, although obviously not everyone has the same experience.

I think perhaps I should read this booklet :8855:

Some more interesting stats...

I've found some more interesting stats here that might interest people, some of which are often asked about....

Health improvements after banding vs. bypass

.............................................Band.....Bypass
Diabetes cured (off meds)..........48%.......84%
Diabetes improved....................80%.......93%
High cholesterol improved..........78%.......68%
High blood pressure (off meds)...43%.......68%
High blood pressure improved....70%.......87%
Sleep Apnoea improved ............68%.......94%

Health implication in surgery vs. no surgery:

..........................................WLS........No Surgery
Arthritis................................5%............12%
Cancer..................................2%.............8%