• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What %EWL were you told to expect?

I was never given a figure but during my last assessment I had hit 60% EWL. I had lost some of this with Slimming World prior to my op but my surgeon said they were taking credit for it all!!! :)

I'm not sure what I'd be happy at. I think I'd be happy if I got down to a size 16 as that would mean not much saggy skin. I may need a tummy tuck at some point but will need to fund this myself as I doubt it is bad enough for funding. Ah well, that can be a future decision. At the mo my weightloss has slowed right down, or practically stopped so I'd better get back on track with it!!!

Really interesting to see everyones responses. It does seem that we have one thing in common, that none of us were told to expect 100% EWL, and yet many of us have set that as our target.

Thanks everyone, and I'll keep plodding on!

Keep plodding Sam, I'm right there with you. Mr Somers told me the most he expected me to lose was 7 stone as I'd lost so much already and was older(hiss) I've exceeded that but like you want to be 'healthy' at some point.

M

I've found some more interesting stats here that might interest people, some of which are often asked about....

Health improvements after banding vs. bypass

.............................................Band.....Bypass
Diabetes cured (off meds)..........48%.......84%
Diabetes improved....................80%.......93%
High cholesterol improved..........78%.......68%
High blood pressure (off meds)...43%.......68%
High blood pressure improved....70%.......87%
Sleep Apnoea improved ............68%.......94%

Health implication in surgery vs. no surgery:

..........................................WLS........No Surgery
Arthritis................................5%............12%
Cancer..................................2%.............8%
Deaths..................................1%.............6%
Diabetes/Endocrine diesease....9%............27%
Heart disease.........................5%............27%
Infectious disease...................9%............37%
Lung disease..........................3%............11%

Nice one Twiggie, good find!
x

I was told 30% of my excess weight in the first year!

So at 83.3% I think I've overcome expectations :)

I was told upto 70% and if I didn't get there in 18months I would have to go in for the Bypass.
According to the BMI chart I found on line,at 5' 10" I should be 12st 8in (152lb) to be at the top of normal weight. I wasnt this low when I had a bad bike accident in 1979 where I broke my leg so badly that they had to rebuild it with metal shaft. and the muscles were almost destroyed in my right leg. The day I was released from hospital after a 3 month stay I weighed 13st 2lb. It took me 3 years of gym work and physio 3 times per week to get back to "a normal" life. I got to my fittest ever at 17st . I did any sport I could get into, not very good at most but I took part. So 17st which is 238lb is my Ideal but I will keep going until I feel good enough to stop I have set 210lb which is 15 stone so we will have to wait and see.
I am just 3lb off my original Holiday target of 25st 350lb.
This is a bit of a mismatch post so i apologies for the ramblings.
Bryan

According to the BOSPA website:

Studies show that on average, people lose between 66–75% of their excess weight in the two years after gastric bypass surgery.

Studies show that on average, people lose between 50–65% of their excess weight in the two years after placement of a gastric band.

My provider quoted these as 'statistics' obvioulsy there will be positive and negative exceptions but these are the averages. Interesting that some hospitals are quoting as low as 30% for banders - I would question their aftercare!

I was not told to aim for any particular % but for the magic 25 BMI.

It's so difficult to gauge the ideal weight or BMI as there are so many different factors involved. For example, a body builder might have a BMI of 30+ which would classify him as obese, yet he might only have 10% body fat!!

I think we can only go by how we look & feel rather than what the numbers & tables say we should be. Trouble is, it's been hard-wired into us that we should conform to certain ideals and we need specific goals to aim for. It makes it even more difficult when our teams are also encouraging us to aim for a certain target. One size does not fit all though!

I think I was told to expect around 80% and that would be fine for me. I was told I'm unlikely to get into the healthy category and my bmi will be around 30 but they would be really pleased with that as it would mean I'm living a normal life and not letting my 'diet' control me. I liked that answer :)

Hi Sam, I think you have done fabulous and it has been a wonderful success for you. Don't get too hooked up on BMI because weight can also be higher if you are muscular but hardly any fat on your body. Its purely a weight/heigh ratio and not that indicative of health if you are very sporty (i.e. you could be quite muscular and have a BMI of up to 30 and still be very very healthy and fit). I was told 70% ewl and I too got stuck on getting under 25 (i'm now 26.4) but I think you can tell if you are healthy - clothes size, fitness, blood pressure etc.

Really interesting to see everyones responses. It does seem that we have one thing in common, that none of us were told to expect 100% EWL, and yet many of us have set that as our target.

Thanks everyone, and I'll keep plodding on!

Very good point! I set my target based on getting a healthy BMI.

You're doing great, we've been on a similar journey. If the average they tell us to aim for is 60-70% EWL, then you are already WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY above that. And I am certain that pre-op if they told you that you could get into a size 12, you would have been DELIGHTED!

I have the same problem with the excess skin, believe me, if you are anything like me you would go down about a stone instantly if they hacked it off!

You're doing great, try not to worry xxxxx

Rx

Last edited:
I was told I would be likely to lose 5st I really hope not as I have reached that and still have the same again to go.

Back