• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What suppliments will I be taking?

civvygit

ass-kickin'-mama
I'm waiting for a date for Gastric Bypass Surgery and wondered what suppliments you take post op, in what form and what they do?

I'm hoping someone says something nice like, 'Oh it's three spoonfuls a couple of times a day!' as I find it really hard to drink 'shakes'

:break_diet:

Hiya..everybody has different as it depends on what your body is lacking... the first week ten days you will have a lot of tablets to take, then you will only take the ones needed. i have one lansaprozol and 2 small multivitamins. some people take vit d and calcium tabs.. some have b12 injections.. some have iron tabs. This all depends on your bloods results and the hospital or clinic where you are having your op.. one thing for sure though..everyone having a bypass has to take a daily multivitamin for life xx ring the hospital or cinic and see what they say. xx

Thanks Rayne.

Mx

when i had my surgery i was on injections for 3 weeks zinc calcium & liquid iron but i couldnt tolerate the liquid iron so my gp gave me iron injections , hope this helps you x

when i had my surgery i was on injections for 3 weeks zinc calcium & liquid iron but i couldnt tolerate the liquid iron so my gp gave me iron injections , hope this helps you x

Did you give yourself the injections?

Mx

I had to take

Iron 10ml in morning,
Tablet that disolves. Not sure what it does!!!

Calcium Tablet

Iron Supplement then Iron Liquid

and I had to inject myself for 28days afterwards to stop blood clots

I had to take

Iron 10ml in morning,
Tablet that disolves. Not sure what it does!!!

Calcium Tablet

Iron Supplement then Iron Liquid

and I had to inject myself for 28days afterwards to stop blood clots

Is the injections standard practice for mr el hasani?? (please say no) if not how comes you had to have them?

Vicky x

Hey Vicky, my daughter had a gastric band by Mr. El Hasani and she had to inject herself for a week afterwards to prevent blood clots, so I guess we shall be injecting vitamins after our ops as well. :0(

Dunno bout you but I am scared silly about this, I really want to have it done but am just so frightened about it all and the fact that I have little or no idea as to what happens afterwards (except obviously the weight loss hopefully!). Do you have any idea what the post op diet is?

Don't quote me but I think it's like a month liquid then a month mushy food, I could be wrong or it could be someone else's hospital diet!
I Get easily confused reading everyone's journeys and I pick up info but forget if it's my hospital or not!!

I've got my pre op appointment next Friday so I guess I'll find out then!

Oh gosh that's how I'm feeling about it, I've not read any horror stories I'm just thinking what will be will be!

Vicky
Vicky

That's the thing, even when i go to the support group meetings they don't go into the nitty gritty, which is the bits that worry me!

But it's not just the post op that worries me, :-( it's the pre op as well......

I know I want the operation, I've had to fight every step of the way, but it scares the crud out of me!

Although Hubby did tell me last night he can, and has in the past, given injections......

In actual fact he looked a little to happy about inflicting pain on me!

Every hospital and clinic have there own guidelines when it comes to diet, meds etc. My hospital will only give the meds i need to take.
I was on 10 days of liquids, 4 weeks of pureed, then 6 weeks of mash/soft food.
I really do think you need to contact your biatric team and ask them what to expect after the op xx

I will do, right now I've got ideas (not really fears) bouncing around in my head that you!!!!! seem to be able to answer well, thus allowing me to write a more comprehensive list of questions to bring to my one-to-one meeting. :)

Have you thought of becoming a bariatric counselor? I think you should look into it, I'd rather speak to someone who knew first hand than a book quoter and that's as a nurse!

(Don't you just hate those childless midwives who tell you it won't hurt a bit?)

You have to take the injections from Mr El-Hasani, They only gave me 10 and had to get a further 21, They gave me a private prescription, But I saw my local GP who gave me a normal one which was much cheaper

Did anyone under Mr Heath of the Whittington have daily or weekly injections?

Thanks!

Most have Vitamins in a capsule called Forceval,the most complete one to take.Calcium that you suck.Some have b12 injections as and if needed,Im a year out and not needed any,I injected a blood thinner for a few weeks,Dead easy and fine little needle you dont feel it at all.
You may be given liquid Senna or similar for your bowel till it settles.
Every hospital is different.Some give you a tablet to prevent stomach problems but I was allergic to it,I itched from haed to toe!
First week or so liquids,then puree for a while then soft stuff like mash and mince,after that you start adding in new foods.
Do try to eat smaller portions,chew well and not eat and drink at the same time.It will all put you in good stead for the future.

Thanks for that, looking at your ticker you're one to listen to!

x

Hi!!
I'm 4 weeks post bypass (Mr. El-Hasani) and I have to take ;
Lansoprazole once a day
Forceval capsule (cut open and put on food, I use yogurt) once a day
Iron (I couldn't tolerate the liquid so swapped to tablet) twice a day.
Solvazinc (dissolves) twice a day.
Calcichew tablet once a day
PLUS I have to inject myself with clexane once a day. The hospital gave me some but have to get the rest from your doc to have 28 days worth. The injections don't hurt though! Even though I'm a nurse myself I dreaded that but it's no prob!!

The post op diet was liquids for 4 weeks, purée /soft for 4 weeks then going onto normal food slowly after that. The first few weeks are really really hard as it takes time for your brain to catch-up with what has happened and you will crave all the stuff you had pre-op (I would have snapped someone's arm off for fish& chips or curry etc!!! Lol) but you do get used to it!!
The puréed /soft diet is not too bad ( I've cheated & started it early!!) and I'm loving mash & cheese/ scrambled egg etc!!
All in all, bear with it. It's so worth it in the end!!!!!

Sarah xx

Back