• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what to tell?

gonnabethinner

I have a question for all you folks out there. A while back a lady came into our shop, who had been granted funding for a bypass. I was so pleased for her, but when she left my colleagues slated her and said that she was lazy etc etc, and if they could manage their weight by excercise and diet why couldnt she? I took exception to this and slated them for it, saying should this mean we dont treat alcoholics, or smokers either. But got nowhere, so here is my problem, I dont want them to know what I am having done, my boss is a real *****, and has a thing about not paying sickpay, it's up to her discretion if I get it or not, so am booking a fortnight off to lessen the blow for her, but as i do a lot of lifting in my job, need a further 2-4 weeks off. So question is what do i tell them? doc has said she wont lie on the sick note but will just put on it post operative recovery on it. so its up to me what i say, if i lie i run the risk of getting caught out later, and look foolish what do you all think? all responses appreciated.

i say just tell them all what ur really having done,let the small minded people talk..they have no idea what we go through,sod them x

i say just tell them all what ur really having done,let the small minded people talk..they have no idea what we go through,sod them x
i would too, but she wont get paid then. Just say your having your appendix out, small minded tossers!
Good luck :) xxx

I laughed out loud at the last comment. Would so love to tell them that! Liking the idea of the appendix, would that prevent me from heaving lifting post op. and hernia is ok, but wont do as how have i been doing all this heavy lifting so far, suppose could start to develop symptons.keep the comments coming they are much appreciated!

I told people I'd had trouble with my gall bladder and had complications during surgery. This accounted for the extra time taken to recover...
Good luck!

I dont get paid sick leave as Im self employed, but the companies I work on behalf of, I've had to book time off. One of the guys even offered to come and collect me.

All I have said to them is that I am having "abdominal surgery" covers a whole host of possibilities, and its not lying either. apparently a couple of them were talking and one said they thought I was going for a gastric band, but they haven't told me either way thats what they think.

Be proud of what you are doing, Its not an easy thing to go through and stuff what people think this something that is important to you and no way is it and easy way to loose weight whatever you have bypass, band, sleeve it all takes you to work with it.

Tell them what you want and wish you all the best

Jane x

i will put my two penneth in xx no matter what you tell them they will have their own ideas and as soon as you start losing loads of weight they will know :) you can't hide it under a baggy jumper :) :) and you definitely won't want to xx good luck whatever you decide

Bev, I had internal surgery a few years ago and had to have 6 weeks off even though I didn't lift anything. What you have done is really none of their business. You've taken 2 weeks out of your leave to do it, if you are then further unwell and your gp thinks you need more time to recover, your boss should be thankful you didn't take the whole time as sick leave.

To those who ask what it was just say it's personal, ladies stuff and very few will ask anything more. As for you losing weight if they ask just say you're on a new diet and it's working. There are plenty of fad diets, make one up, it could then be amusing to see them fail when they try it out lol

I feel for you, but unlike you my negativity comes from my sister! She is 20+ stone herself and a lifelong ww/sw goer, but I know she is just jealous! Small minded people that don't understand what it is like to feel 'ugly' in their skins! But don't worry cos soon u will feel ' beautiful' whereas people with nasty attitudes to others will always be life's UGLIEST people! Good luck with whatever you decide x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I know where you are coming from, There are so many people who think its as easy as doing some exercise and eating the right thing, if this were the case there wouldn't be any need for surgery. I didn't want anyone at my work to know what I was going in for so I have used. 'ladies issues' excuse, that tends to stop people asking. And for the most tenacious of them, I'll tell them it's personal. It's not nice to have to give other excuses, but unfortunately that's the way the world works. Good luck with your procedure lovely. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all your commenys they were all really helpful Have decided to say I am having abdominal surgery. If pressed for more details i shall say it"s personal and none of their business and personal. I am not lying and as was said they will draw their own conclusions anyway! Thank you all you lovely people. I feel.much easier about it.

Back