• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to take in hospital

sukies

well, nine days to go...so excited! im just worried as what to take in hospital. i know alot of people have taken things that they don't really need and i wanna pack light, so what would you suggest? i don't own a dressing gown, so do i really need one?

Good luck Sukies, we already have a thread running for the hospital bag, I'll try and find it and raise it higher for you.

Love and hugs xxx

hey Sukies,

depends how long you're in for really. I was in for 4 days & i took the following:

2 pyjamas
6 pairs of knickers
3 pairs of socks
Shower gel/shampoo/conditioner
Bath lily
toothbrush & paste
makeup
deodrant
Fresh breath spray (really useful when i wasnt allowed to drink much)
Laptop/Phone (had films and tv shows on the laptop)
Hairbrush/hairbands

hope this helps some :)

x

Hi

I needed the dressing gown as they put me in a hospital gown then I was sat around waiting for 5 hours!! then I had to walk to the operating theatre s the dressing gown was necessary.

I took a book but wasnt aware enough to get into it but I had a magazone too and read a couple of storiesl

Also I took 2 pairs of pj's as I wanted to change out of the gown as soon as I could, and just in case you get one messy take 2 pairs of lose fitting ones.

I took the dry mouth spray but didnt use it, I was extremely thirsty but they let me gargle lots then they changed the oxygen mask for a nasal one which is much better,

Lip balm was a god send as the oxygen mask does dry them out loads.

Also money for the tv if you are NHS its something to drown the ward noise out.

I still havent unpacked mine but the rest is just normal stuff like wash bag and towel etc.

Good luck with your op x

is your op the 25th ? are you admitted the 24th ?

Nighties
knickers
washing stuff
towel
tissues
magazines - couldn't get into my book
mobile

oh and my bottom wiper!!

Took loads but thats what I used - no dressing gown it wouldnt go round me - used 2 gowns one proper way one back to front!!

xx

Hi Sukies

It's been a week since the op so the content of my bag are still quite fresh in my mind

Toiletries

- Toothbrush/paste
- Lip balm
- Moisturiser
- Shower gel
- Facial wipes (help to cool you down when it's too hot)
- Towel (most hospitals provide their own, but its best to be on the safe side. Also doubled up as a buffer between me & the seatbelt on ly way home)

Clothing
- 3 pairs of knickers (I knew id only be in for 3 days or less)
- 1 dressing gown
- 2 Pyjamas
- 1 long nightie
- Slippers (essential)
- Hair scrunchy
- Baggy tracksuit bottoms & comfy top to go home in.
- Phone and CHARGER* (I would have been lost without this! Leave on vibrate or very low ringer so not to disturb the rest of the ward)

Entertainment
- Books
- Ipod
- Money for the hospital TV/internet/email card £13 is enough for 3 days. Mine didn't work though lol

Things I wish I'd bought
- Hand held fan - It was too damn hot in the ward!!
- SF squash - I was only given sips of water, despite my dietician and surgery team saying I could have any clear fluid!

I hope it all goes well for you hun!

Good luck xx

hiya liz, im going in on the 25th my op on the 26th march

ahh ok hun, if u was admitted 24th you could of come to our support group in the evening, a saturday op yay !! whos doing the op for you ~? x

Hi Sukies

It's been a week since the op so the content of my bag are still quite fresh in my mind

Toiletries
- Toothbrush/paste
- Lip balm
- Moisturiser
- Shower gel
- Facial wipes (help to cool you down when it's too hot)
- Towel (most hospitals provide their own, but its best to be on the safe side. Also doubled up as a buffer between me & the seatbelt on ly way home)

Clothing
- 3 pairs of knickers (I knew id only be in for 3 days or less)
- 1 dressing gown
- 2 Pyjamas
- 1 long nightie
- Slippers (essential)
- Hair scrunchy
- Baggy tracksuit bottoms & comfy top to go home in.
- Phone and CHARGER* (I would have been lost without this! Leave on vibrate or very low ringer so not to disturb the rest of the ward)

Entertainment
- Books
- Ipod
- Money for the hospital TV/internet/email card £13 is enough for 3 days. Mine didn't work though lol

Things I wish I'd bought
- Hand held fan - It was too damn hot in the ward!!
- SF squash - I was only given sips of water, despite my dietician and surgery team saying I could have any clear fluid!

I hope it all goes well for you hun!

Good luck xx
aww thanks plump33 that really helps. never thought about a fan thou, i was in the hospital today and yes it was very hot so good idea!

hey Sukies,

depends how long you're in for really. I was in for 4 days & i took the following:

2 pyjamas
6 pairs of knickers
3 pairs of socks
Shower gel/shampoo/conditioner
Bath lily
toothbrush & paste
makeup
deodrant
Fresh breath spray (really useful when i wasnt allowed to drink much)
Laptop/Phone (had films and tv shows on the laptop)
Hairbrush/hairbands

hope this helps some :)

x
thanks for your reply deets, ive got a few fresh breath sprays coz i need them now with me been on the milk diet. did anyone eles find that?

Hi

I needed the dressing gown as they put me in a hospital gown then I was sat around waiting for 5 hours!! then I had to walk to the operating theatre s the dressing gown was necessary.

I took a book but wasnt aware enough to get into it but I had a magazone too and read a couple of storiesl

Also I took 2 pairs of pj's as I wanted to change out of the gown as soon as I could, and just in case you get one messy take 2 pairs of lose fitting ones.

I took the dry mouth spray but didnt use it, I was extremely thirsty but they let me gargle lots then they changed the oxygen mask for a nasal one which is much better,

Lip balm was a god send as the oxygen mask does dry them out loads.

Also money for the tv if you are NHS its something to drown the ward noise out.

I still havent unpacked mine but the rest is just normal stuff like wash bag and towel etc.

Good luck with your op x
hi msunique, yeah thanks for your reply i think i will have to invest in a dressing gown.

Nighties
knickers
washing stuff
towel
tissues
magazines - couldn't get into my book
mobile

oh and my bottom wiper!!

Took loads but thats what I used - no dressing gown it wouldnt go round me - used 2 gowns one proper way one back to front!!

xx
hello thinnerangela, thanks for your reply but bottom wiper?

thanks for your reply deets, ive got a few fresh breath sprays coz i need them now with me been on the milk diet. did anyone eles find that?

Yep, I was on the milk diet (soya) and my breath was a bit funky after 10 days lol!!!

Don't worry Sukies, it will soon pass :)

I bought 4 new sets of jim jams, nice and baggy, a new dressing gown, also nice and baggy to last all the time I am losing weight and I hope to be able to wrap it round about six times when I have finished lol. Slippers, and those fluffy socks you can get.
I have got shower gel, body lotion, lady wipes and wash, face wipes, sugar free pop and hair scrunchies.
I will take some mags like house beautiful and home and gardens so it is really easy reading and I dont need to concentrate.
I would take my lap top but its broken, and of course, how could I forget my mobile phone!! Its an old one so I wont be going online with it.
Bring it on lol.
Lynne x

Last edited:
Hi Sukies
As long as you get yourself in safely hun everything else can be sorted later.

A bathrobe would do if you have one, otherwise try Primark/BonMarche/Asda see if they have any on sale.
as someone pointed out it gets really hot so you only really need one if you are walking out on main corridor or to foyer which can get chilly.
I ended up taking too much in as well, and didn't even use my DVD player just couldn't be bothered with it.
Don't know if you have one near you but I got some xxxl very roomy soft pyjamas/nighties for less than a fiver at EX CATALOGUE shop (theres one in Durham -Milburngate centre and was one in Redcar years ago)

take care

Hi Lynne I would worry too much about fluffy socks etc as you will be wearing the sexy stockings and if they are anything like mine they covered my feet as well as my legs! Also don't worry about spending too much money on new pjs etc cos they won't fit for long. My pj tops had shrunk (too short)so I took an old t shirt to wear with the bottoms they were loose and baggy and I dint think it looked too bad I nearly matched the colour lol,

Back