• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to take in hospital

Good thinking debbie. why didnt I think of that! Ive bought them now though lol, they were only £7 a pair from matalan and the dressing gown was only about that much too, its a lightweight one. I want everything to be megga baggy post op and as i progress, the baggier the better lol. I want to have to tie them up with string or wear braces because im so skinny......... well you know what I mean.

Lynne x

glad ive packed all the right things , bags there all done just ready to go, i'll let you know what i actually used when i get out next week.

did you get your date for your pre op assessment
xxx

glad ive packed all the right things , bags there all done just ready to go, i'll let you know what i actually used when i get out next week.

did you get your date for your pre op assessment
xxx
Ive had it christine, i was there yesterday. you'll be going in saturday wont ya?

Hi Sukies
As long as you get yourself in safely hun everything else can be sorted later.

A bathrobe would do if you have one, otherwise try Primark/BonMarche/Asda see if they have any on sale.
as someone pointed out it gets really hot so you only really need one if you are walking out on main corridor or to foyer which can get chilly.
I ended up taking too much in as well, and didn't even use my DVD player just couldn't be bothered with it.
Don't know if you have one near you but I got some xxxl very roomy soft pyjamas/nighties for less than a fiver at EX CATALOGUE shop (theres one in Durham -Milburngate centre and was one in Redcar years ago)

take care
hi denise, ive just ordered myself a dressing gown it was only a £5 so even if i never wear it again...haha well i wont coz it wont fit me in a years time. i was in the ex catalogue shop in redcar last week and nothing. thanks for your advice though

Yes definitely invest in a light dressing gown. Also I preferred a nightie to pyjamas - cooler and easier to go to the loo but that's personal preference I guess.

I chose pj's because the docs and nurses could check my wounds without uncovering all of me.

In the end-the ONLY thing I cared about was my lip balm! LOL! I wrote in my other blog somewhere all about this. However-my lip balm was so important to me..the nurses started putting them in their pockets and making sure I knew where they were.

I think it was the second day in hospital when I had gotten myself into an awkward position and could not lean back well. The poor nurse was trying to help me and I was VERY large. She let go of me and when she did-I couldn't help but have a stitch of pain my tum-as things were so fragile at the time.

At any other time-pain I can deal well with-but with all the hormones and coming out of the anesthesia I burst into floods of tears!!

Bless the nurse-she took the little teddy bear on my stand and put it in my lap and pulled the lip balm from her pocket and gave it me to make me feel better!!

:)

Things I wish I'd bought
- Hand held fan - It was too damn hot in the ward!!
- SF squash - I was only given sips of water, despite my dietician and surgery team saying I could have any clear fluid!

I hope it all goes well for you hun!

Good luck xx

I so wish I had taken a hand held fan. The night after my surgery I was burning up. It was so hot on the ward.

The best things I took were my crocs. They doubled up as slippers and were great for going to the bathroom and shower/wet room as sometimes the floor was still wet from previous person using shower or from cleaning.

Also a great tip I was given is NOT to take PJ's but take a long T-shirt type nightie as after op I had catheter for a couple of days and the tube would have been uncomfortable being threaded down a PJ leg.

My earplugs were a godsend on second night as the ward was so noisy. I put my ear plugs in and slept away all night:p

I couldn't get into my book either, but a magazine was good.

Back