• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What was your ‘tipping point’?

FuturePerfect

Finally in love with life
See my shiny new badge? Today I reached 100lb weight loss since I started this time round, and to celebrate went swimming in my new size 24 swimming costume.

Swimming 64 lengths (1 mile) gives you lots of time to think and I got to thinking about why I’ve been so successful this time after so many false starts, and to thinking about what my ‘tipping point’ was this time.

Mine was when I got to the point that my car seat belt was so tight, I had to have the seat in the position farthest away from the steering wheel to get it fastened, and I could hardly reach the pedals. I ordered a seat belt extender from eBay and was very annoyed when it wasn’t compatible with my car model, and I had to send it back. THANK GOD it didn’t fit, because that was the day I started back at WW. If it had fitted my car, I dread to think how much heavier I would have gotten before finally coming to my senses…

What was your ‘tipping point’? Was it a comment someone made? A photo of yourself looking less than glamorous? Something you could no longer do?

wowser!!!! well done you :) xxx

100lbs! That's fantastic- well done.
My decision for getting the band came after a visit to my mums, she had a house guest who was pretty big in my eyes. I asked my mum if I was as big as her and to my horror my mum had to um and ah about it!! I was mortified and spent the whole night researching WLS. Booked a consultation the next morning and was banded about 1 month after that.
So thanks Mum!! Lol xx

To be honest ive been thinking about it for years. I said it in passing to my doc a few times, then made an appointment to see him just about that. He dont seem too keen lol

my reflection in windows and mirrors takes my breath away for all the wrong reasons.... I am the same size all the way round - enough is enough!!

My turning point was when my doctor said my health problems will not improve unless i lose weight and keep it off, also i work on a till at work, and my till is close to the wall... so just enough room for me to sit on the chair... and occasionnaly the odd old man would say...ooh you look a bit squished round there!!

Ooh and well done on your 100lb mark, and you only had surgery a few days before me!! xx

Last edited:
You know, i think my 'tipping point' may have been exactly 2 years to the day.

I came home from my work's Christmas party and was gutted despite a 2 week break to look forward to. I wasn't gutted because i loved my job and was going to miss it - i was gutted because i knew i was falling for a colleague.

She was smart, beautiful, funny and didn't take herself too seriously - a rare combination. We clicked in every way and had practically the same interests. The problem was i weighed 27.5 stone and wasn't very appealing to the opposite sex...

I knew i had no chance with her so i decided to throw everything at losing the weight to make sure when the next one came along it would be a different story...

Well, nearly 2 years on i'm almost 13 stone lighter and only a matter of a few pounds overweight although you wouldn't think it to look at me. Tomorrow i've got my consultation with a plastic surgeon and will find out if NHS Scotland are going to do their bit after i did mine. Could be some nice symmetry on the cards.

I should say, despite the massive weight loss and looking not too bad these days, my luck hasn't improved with the women. Typical eh? lol

I think my tipping point came when i realised i was 23 and hadnt done anything i was supposed to have. Such things as

Alton towers with friends
Clothes shopping and enjoying it
Horse riding or being able too
Flirting!
Clubbing
Fooling around haha

So i took myself off for consultation and got loan approved :)

Well done on your loss
X

I should say, despite the massive weight loss and looking not too bad these days, my luck hasn't improved with the women. Typical eh? lol

You're the wrong side of Hadrian's Wall goodsoul86. We know a good thing when we see it here...

Good luck with tomorrow's consultation.

For me it was when i realised why my third marriage was breaking up.... Each time the guys fell for this wonderful bubbly fun girl. Overweight but her personality was even bigger.. Always laughing .. But the reality is that it was not who I really was. I was the ugly, depressed, bullied fat girl..

Now on my own, I had time to think about who I was, what I wanted .. My 2 children well grown up with families of their own.. It was time for me and only me !! And I knew that I had to ditch that sad fat unhappy woman and find the new me.
My girls gave been so supportive (even though 1 lives in south Africa and the other on London- I am in birmingham) and for that I am so grateful.

I have been fat since I was 5 and i am now 62 and am so grateful that I have the opportunity to still have some real life ahead of me!

My consultant appointment is end january

Ooops sorry.. Got carried away xx

Mine was when I watched a Jamie Oliver program where Dr Gunther (the bloke who did the autopsy live on tv) Sliced a frozen corpse of a 23st man from top to toe and showed the slice to us. The fat in and around the organs, the lungs pushed up into the area just under the neck because the stomach fat was pressing on it. (this is why big people are out of breath just talking)etc. Then a doctor on a different programme said "if you see a fat old age pensioner, take a photo as they are rare". It frightened me that I was only just over a stone lighter than this dead bloke, and I am probably shorter. I went on Lighter life and lost 7 st. When I regained it very quickly I went to see my doctor. The rest is history.

Mine was when I got so totally peeved off with my brother taking the p out of me and throwing me on the floor because I was newly diabetic and didn't want a piece of Mums birthday cake and I just couldn't handle his jibes anymore. My brothers are both so nasty about my weight. My heart attack 2 years later just before I got my surgery date sealed the deal for me, even though I had to wait an extra year because of the drugs I was on for my heart.

Fantastic weight loss Lovely, well done.

Love Kate x

Mine was many things, the one that tipped it was wondering how they would fit me in to a coffin. I had resigned myself to die fat the sooner the better, but I love Paul very much I would play the scenario in my head. Him being embarrassed of me and how many people it would take to lift me. Morbid I know and I sound unhinged but I was a planner and still am so these things crossed my mind.

Eventually I was overcome by these depressing thoughts and sought help!

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Although I had considered gastric surgery for about 2 years, Back in January this year I watched a programme about a super sized ambulance that was used for massively obese people to take them to hospital etc.. the drivers and medics were fanastic in the way they dealt with these patients, however they had a great big ( for want of a better word) sack that they had to use to manipulate some patients just to get them into the ambulance.

They showed the medics washing out the sack...because of the fluids that "oozed" from these poor people............................:cry:

THAT WAS THE MOMENT I DECIDED I CANT BE LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was nowhere near the size of these people ...but by golly I never was going to be .................and that was the first time I spoke to my husband about my fears of continuing to gain weight and my desire to have surgery......

Now just over 3 months post op and its the best thing I have ever done .

Well done on your weight loss and to all those considering if its the right thing for them................just decide "how do you wish to continue with YOUR life"

I had thought about surgery fleetingly for a while but never with any conviction . I can't say I had something that made my mind up , just one day I knew it was what I wanted & needed to do .

Well done on lossing 100lb yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

There have been many turning points for me, the biggest was beating cancer and lossing 7 1/2st and doing the race for life BUT then re gaining it all again. Hubbys poor health spurred me on to get myself sorted so i can be there for him, GP made me feel like it was hopeless the first time i asked as 2 others he had put forward had failed to get funding so i came away very down..... but not out !
Next year i rang the PCT had a chat and was told to they would send the forms and have a word with the practice manager about why i was brushed off last time, it worked and i had funding 2 weeks later.

I initially decided to go for wls when I was 26 and went to my doctor and we applied for funding. I then backed out, decided that I could do it without putting myself in danger and that the risk of dying on the operating table wasn't worth it as I did not know what would happen to my daughter if I died. My partner is not able to work and so I decided I could do it by myself.

Fast forward to Dec 2010 (3 years on) still failing on multiple diets and hitting the 30 stone mark. My size 36 trousers were tight on me. At this point I knew that diets just would not work for me. At most I'd only ever lost a stone and I always gained it back with extra. I was still very mobile; I teach full time in a big secondary school. I have loads to live for and I still worry what if. But now, the what if I don't worries had become too big to ignore (excuse the pun). I was struggling to keep up with the job, I was always exhausted and I felt like I was running out of time. In Jan I got diagnosed as having sleep apnoea and I booked in with the GP. We talked about it, he was ultra supportive and then he agreed to apply for funding.

He applied in April, I got it in August, had my appts in Sept-Dec and will have bypass in April.

i was doing a 14lb turkey for christmas dinner and was struggling to carry it i suddenly realised that is a stone and i am carrying 12 of those on my body all day everyday :) i did like cicca worry about other things like having the roof taken off the house or windows to be taken out when i die and not be able to fit in a coffin etc

angiemason said:
i was doing a 14lb turkey for christmas dinner and was struggling to carry it i suddenly realised that is a stone and i am carrying 12 of those on my body all day everyday :) i did like cicca worry about other things like having the roof taken off the house or windows to be taken out when i die and not be able to fit in a coffin etc

When I told people after they were shocked that I worried about things like that. As a big person I always apologised for what I was and in my darkest moments I still felt guilty that even in death I might cause people problems. Now I have a very different attitude, I'm important and my views and opinions count. Not because I lost weight but because I learned to love myself!

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back