• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What would you do?...

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hiya guys
As you can see by my ticker I am having my bypass soon and just have a concern.
I am a dinnerlady in a primary school and we have one week left until we break up for a week.
Alot of the children in the school are poorly at the minute with some even going off with suspected swine flu.
Being so close to my operation I am afraid of getting something that will stop it from happening.
I do have the option of signing myself off on a self cert note this next week of term and staying at home away from all of the germs etc.
So what would you guys do?
Carry on for the next week as normal and risk catching something and then just stay home for the week before the op (as it will be half term anyway) or would you sign yourself off and not risk it?
I dont mean to be all paranoid kind of thing but I soooooo dont want to risk my operation.
Advice?
Steph xx

sorry no real advice, but i wont even go out unless i have to case theres germs about lol.xx

Lol Im not that bad but can understand the thought process there.
In school it is more the sheer numbers of kids with the bugs.
Steph xx

i used to be a dinner lady before i moved area! i think if it was me i would sign myself off, i know it's your job but to me your bypass is your future and imagine how you'd feel if your op was to be cancelled. good luck!!

hello no matter where you go they are colds and flus to catch,you need to do whats right for you honey if you feel better taking the time off and giving your odds off staying healthy aboost hen thats what you should do honey goodluck with what ever you chose to do and i hope all goes well with your bypass x x x

Thanks guys.
I think I will run it past hubby when he gets up (night shift) and if he thinks that its a good idea I might sign myself off.
If it was just one or two kids poorly then I wouldnt bother but whole families of them are off and poorly and they are the ones that stay off, so many more are in school and you can see how poorly they are and still they are sent in.
Hhhhhmmmmm....will ask hubby too.
Thanks xxx
Steph xx

hi i can only say what i would do i work as a special needs teaching assistant and we have kids off school all the time with coughs and colds ,swine flu etc ,i worked right up to and including the day of my op if i got a cold or flu i got it i think we would get it where ever we are we can just slightly reduce the contact with people so the choice is yours?xx

Oh I dunno...its confusing because the rational side of me says just carry on as I am and then the totally paranoid, need to get this op and dont want to ruin it side of me screams stay home at me.
Hell, I have a tingly nose right now and that worries me, though Im not long over a cold so would that make me less prone or more prone to picking something else up?
For the week before the operation, which is half term week anyway, I can stay home all I like and am thinking that maybe that is enough, surely I cant get THAT poorly and surely if I did get sick then it would be sorted in two weeks...but what if I did and it isnt sorted...arghhhh lol
Steph xx

If you got ill and they couldn't do your op it wouldn't be cancelled but rather postponed till another date when you are well ! - little consolation when you've waited a year for it, but thats life i suppose.
I had a cold the week of my op (sods law) and desperately rammed vit C down my throat all week, the day of my op i still had a sore thoat and a bit of a cough, they didn't seem to bothered about it.

If it was me then i would def sign myself off for the week, it is totally diff having a cold to swine flu and you have waited so long for this op that it would really upset me to have it postponed and so close to Christmas maybe they would not be able to fit you in till Jan.
When i finally get an op date then of course i wont be going over the top but i would def be staying away from people that have the flu and poss dosing myself up with vit c and echincea 3 weeks post op just to make sure i dont come down really ill and surgery has to be postponed.

I personally would just have the week before op off but if its going to worry you then take off that extra week. Worry alone can cause you problems like raising your bp and then your op may get delayed for this. The choice is yours at the end of the day but do look at it from all points. Good luck for your op sweetheartxxx

I wouldn't be going anywhere near the school if it was me. Not worth it for the sake of a week. My daughter in law is a support worker in their local school and said some of the kids are coming in looking really poorly. My youngest sons girlfriend is a nurse working at Hartlands A&E. Both were told to stay well away from me both prior and after my operation, at least until I was back on my feet.

You have to do whats best for you.

Good luck with it all.
xx

Thanks for all of the replies guys xx
I have decided to go in on Monday and see how the land lies, if more are sick then I will not go in after that but if they seem to be improving I will see the week out.
My sister works with me and I see her every day so even if I was off chances are that she would bring something back from the kids anyway, so short of cutting her out of my life until the op, which I am not willing to do, I might as well just carry on as normal and just keep vigilant.
Its right that worry can mess you up as well and I just keep thinking really calm thoughts and getting my worries written out in a diary is helping tonnes.
Thanks again guys, youre great xx
Steph xx

Steph,you cant live in a sterile box till you have surgery!Please dont put your life on hold,if it happens it happens.They would only cancel if your breathing was compromised,and then it would be postponed till you were fitter.You have had this weight problem for a time now,would a few days or weeks make that much difference hun?I know its hard waiting for anything to happen when you have put everything into the one goal,but look at the bigger picture.You dont have a life threatening illness.Stay relaxed and enjoy your half term break.Maz x

hi i dont know what i would do my self in your position, my sons had swine flu and its the uncontrolable temperaure that worried me the most, do what you feel is best for you

but i was ill my self before my op,and taking antibiotics for it untill the day of my op.
if you start feeling ill postpone for a week or a month.
i was so ill with sinisitus i felt like i couldnt breath and the pain in my face and nose when i came around from the anesthetic was ten times worse that what i felt in my tummy.
its hard enough on our bodies with out any illnesses.
be safe , germ free and let us know when your done
sewingbelle

I had a cold the week of my op (sods law) and desperately rammed vit C down my throat all week, the day of my op i still had a sore thoat and a bit of a cough, they didn't seem to bothered about it.

:thankyou: Oh thats great to hear!!
I'm having my pre-op on thurs, gotta bit of a tickly cough - scared to death they'll cancel on me!! :hide:

have you thought about using vicks first defence? if you google it you will see there is scientific evidence that it really does work, it says mainly for colds but hn1 virus too enters through the nasal system so for the few quid it costs surely worth trying? i will definately be using it in jan before my op :)

Thanks SewingBelle xx
Well I went in today and my plan is to do the whole week.
I feel really horrible today, really weak and dizzy, which I think is just my body rebelling against the lack of the normal amounts of food, but it is making me feel terrible and if I dont feel better tomorrow by work time Im not going to go in, not anything to do with the kids and their illnesses (which there is a LOT off poorly now) but because at times I feel fall down exhausted and dont feel mad safe around kids like this.
Even if I wasnt going for an operation, feeling like this would keep me at home anyway.
Thanks for all of the replies guys xxx
Steph xx

...but I dont want to stay at home, time will only drag that way, onwards and upwards eh
Steph xx

Back