• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

swine flu

rybens

yorkie puddin!
:confused::confused:Hi all picked my kids up fom after school club to be handed a letter saying there had been a child in my kids class asked to stay away from school as they had swine flu, i know i may sound dramatic but dont want to send them back for the last three days i would be deverstated if they got it when id sent them for the sake of three days . With that little six year old girl died from it it scares me silly , sure ill get a telling off from the head for not sending them just wondered what your opinon was ?

I was quite shocked to read in the Telegraph today that 22,000 people a year die from regular 'flu. And we don't panic about that, do we? Don't worry. Apparently half of all people will get it and get over it. By keeping your kids off school for the last three days they could be missing out on lots of fun activities yet could catch swine flu in a supermarket when they do the shopping with you. Personally, I would carry on as normal. But we can't help worrying, can we? I'm sure they'll be just fine. Mxx

HI Rybens one of the schools was closed last week in my area and the gp's are prescribing tamiflu over the phone now as suspected cases are not allowed in the gp's surgery they say people have just as much of a chance catching it when out shopping, you do what you feel is best for your children, theres lots of cases here but its being delt with efficiantly.

liz x

3 days is nothing to the kids education but a hell of a lot to your peace of mind :(

Keep em off let them enjoy the extra days. They will only be missing the cleaning up jobs the teachers get them to do..lazy sods lol

:confused::confused:Hi all picked my kids up fom after school club to be handed a letter saying there had been a child in my kids class asked to stay away from school as they had swine flu, i know i may sound dramatic but dont want to send them back for the last three days i would be deverstated if they got it when id sent them for the sake of three days . With that little six year old girl died from it it scares me silly , sure ill get a telling off from the head for not sending them just wondered what your opinon was ?

There is not a cats chance in hell I would be sending my child somewhere where someone had swine flu, I wouldn't care about getting a telling off, its only 3 days

thanks guys , you know what its like people thinking your over reacting but there my kids and you have enough to worry about with out things like this, someone has just said what if it happens when they go back are you going to keep at home for ever? ill cross that bridge when i get to it but for the next three days there keeping grandma company lol:family2:

i dont go with the scare mongering im afraid education weather its 2hours 2 days or 2 weeks is too important, our school has had kids off with it the incubation period means they would have already been exposed anyway my best friend has had it as did her daughter not nice but managable fingers crossed we dont get it but if we do we do most of us apparently will. for all those keeping kids off school best not let them out the house untill swine flu is eradicated because every counter door handle even money has prob been touched by 100's a day and one of those is likely to have had it!!

for all those keeping kids off school best not let them out the house untill swine flu is eradicated because every counter door handle even money has prob been touched by 100's a day and one of those is likely to have had it!!

great point its around every where and most of us will get it at some point my gp says the months of september/october will be the worst for people getting it and passing it on and theres nothing we can do to stop it.

great point its around every where and most of us will get it at some point my gp says the months of september/october will be the worst for people getting it and passing it on and theres nothing we can do to stop it.

i think unless you have a seriously ill child they are more likely to die of menengitis or a car accident maybe i just dont worry enough but for me what will be will be

i think unless you have a seriously ill child they are more likely to die of menengitis or a car accident maybe i just dont worry enough but for me what will be will be

i agree cross that bridge when it comes if it ever does.

i understand how you feel i have just been told that my neighbour has been told she has swine flu and she cannot come out for 10 days? but her oh and kids can as long as they dont show signs??? i was talking to her 2 days ago:eek: and have a sore throat/start of cold today could it just be normal flu/cold symptoms??? it really is scary and doesnt help when we dont know the true ins and outs of the disease. and like someone says people often (unfortunatly and tragically) die from flu each year and we dont panic about that? and i also dont want to appear to be over-reacting! xx

a lot of people will get swine flu and not even know they have it they will just put it down to a normal cold. More people die from normal sesonal flu a year. Simple basic hygenie will help ie using tissues and throwing them away properly after use, and washing your hands on a regular basis. Its going back to basics like our grandparents and theirs before them did.

the media love to hype things up and scare monger.

its such a hard thing because i know deep down if there going to get it they will and i know you can get it from any where but just at the moment with three days to go if i can lower the risk by a little i will

Three days at school for education is a must in normal cicumstances. Three days away from school under these circumstances wins all round.
I'd keep them off myself and try to protect them from catching it but then you have to consider the rest of the summer holidays and them mixing with the kids that did go into school for the last 3 days. Sometimes I think making decisions on behalf of your kids is so hard. We never know what to do for the best and because everyones opinions differ we never get a straight answer when we ask for advice.

I'd keep them off school for peace of mind;)
One of our local High Schools has shut cos of it:eek:

i started a similar thread last week with similar concerns a week on ive now decided its too hyped up, to avoid it you would have to stay in 24/7 which is totally impossible with the school summer holidays, no matter where we go we will be mixing with many other ppl that have it x

the supermarket, kids playing out, holidays, days out ect ...

As we sat in the car today killing a bit of time before I went to my GP we were listening to LBC radio...A man rang to tell Nick Ferrari that his wife had been very ill with Swine Flu and she was diagnosed over the phone by her symptoms by a doctor via NHS direct.

The doctor asked this man if his wife wanted Tamiflu...he replied to the doctor that they didn't know and were seeking 'his' opinion. The doctor then said that in his opinion, judging by the symptoms he described she had Swine Flu and would benefit from taking Tamiflu.

A couple of days later this man spoke to a pharmacist who said the doctor was wrong to give out Tamiflu without a diagnosis...This man is so worried because he has 2 tiny toddlers that may go on to develop this condition and he wonders how these kids will cope with the side effects of the drug.

This for me was the worrying part of Swine Flu...No real tests to diagnose it...And the side affects of Tamiflu are horrendous.

But I asked my GP about this and told him I was surprised that this woman had had no blood tests...and he told me that Swine Flu cannot be diagnosed by a blood test...A swab test is currently in place for diagnosis and there is now something else in place to diagnose it...I didn't ask as I was on my way out.

I am not yet in panic mode, but I am concerned about this virus...If I had young children I might be tempted to keep them away from school.

On the another note but same subject....are post bypassers or post banders more vulnerable if they develop Swine Flu...Or would that purely depend on the length of time they were post op?

(((hugs)))

No they are not more at risk of catching swine flu I have already asked. In Birmingham Swine Flu has been around for 3/4 weeks and for the last 2 no schools have shut because it is past the point of being contained and they have not been swabbing for it either.

It is more risky for people who have serious heaalth problems, respiratory problems and weakened immune systems.

Back