• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What's the best protein powder

Bear

Just looking in advance of my op, so I can get some shopping in etc.

What have people found to be the best protein powder for adding to milk shakes etc. ??

I've just added this to my shopping list. Glad you asked so I don't have to stand for an hour in the shopping aisle looking mad.

I am glad someone asked about this!! I was looking through the forum to try and see what people use/used. (Not very sucessfully yet). So will be happy to see what people will answer here.

I've got pulsin pea protein powder (flavourless) as i thought it would go well when added into the soups on my liquid diet or purees later on. I have never tried any other protein powder so cant compare to anything. Everything in this departement is so new to me.. ;)

There seems so many types. Pea, whey, hemp, casein etc etc. Whey seems to be the most common but I wonder whether it's the best!

Sorry I can't help you best types etc but just wanted to say that pre op I bought and tried several and couldn't stomach any so have never used them. I'm eight months out and my dietitian is more than happy with my protein intake.
I know that some peeps swear by them so hopefully someone will be along to help you all soon. X

Impact whey protein by myprotein.com

Sorry I can't help you best types etc but just wanted to say that pre op I bought and tried several and couldn't stomach any so have never used them. I'm eight months out and my dietitian is more than happy with my protein intake.
I know that some peeps swear by them so hopefully someone will be along to help you all soon. X

I only brought pea one for when i am on liquids as i couldnt think of how to get more protein. I really struggled with most protein drinks (slim fast ect) before the surgery.. But when i add this pea protein to my soup and use a blender to mix everything in i dont really notice it unless i put too much in ;) i look at it as a suplement and once i can eat meat, eggs, beans, lentls i will make sure thats where i get most if not all the protein needed. :) hope i will be able to do as i am planing:)

There seems so many types. Pea, whey, hemp, casein etc etc. Whey seems to be the most common but I wonder whether it's the best!

I know!! I felt exactly the same!! :) i went to a health shop.. So i thought where/how i will use it/ to what food i am likely going to add it. then i knew i dont need any powder with flavours as i am not likely to make a shake just to drink it.. then i looked on the packets which ones had less carbs/most protein in.. And even whey protein powder had less carbs and more protein in it i picked pea one because peas and soup went better in my head :) :) also i was not sure if whey one would be suitable if i turned out lacto intolerant after surgery.. So i picked pea one ;)

I did read that some people simply add skimmed milk powder to their food and drinks for extra protein. :)

Good luck when choosing yours :) maybe some other people will be able to answer the question for you better than i did ;)

I agree with Yves, the my protein impact whey is great. I use the unflavoured in cooking and vanilla as a base for smoothies at home. You order it on line and it arrives really quickly. They also have samples you can buy to try out the different flavours before investing in a big tub...so far the only one I don't like is banoffee.

Thanks everyone.

From what I've read on a few threads a lot of people use marvel milk powder as a cheaper alternative to protein powders and had a lot of protein in it

People do use marvel to add protein but be aware that it also adds carbs

I use Protein Works - they have a vast range and very friendly customer service, but i'm also going to try My Protein too - flavours and textures change from make to make.

Have ordered from 'myprotein' as they seemed really reasonably priced compared to high street shops. Thanks everyone.

I'd personally avoid myprotein. They are not very keen on large people, I know from personal experience, so I personally choose not to give my money to them.

I only buy my protein powder from them, I've no idea about their ethos as a company.

It is up to everyone to make the choice for themselves, and I know that few people are aware of this. I'd have been happily unaware if I'd not suffered discrimination at their hands, and it is for that reason I choose not to purchase anything from them.

I'll PM you with the details.

They are shooting themselves in the foot if that is the case. Ross Edgley (one of the guys behind Protein Works) could not be nicer. I follow them and on my bypass Twitter page and they often re-tweet comments I make about getting healthier using their products.

Ross has an awesome body, trains really hard but is someone who genuinely promotes all comers to health and well being - all part of the Fit Family!

Back