• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What's the difference post op?

snooky

I'm doing lots of research before I get told off for not knowing the facts.

I know WLS is a tool to help with losing the pounds, but what changes post-op, how do you stop yourself from eating those biscuits and cake? I know the op wont stop you on its own, so do you come out of hospital with a completely different mind set, and why now and not pre-op?

I was adamant I wanted the bypass because of the dumping and actually stopping me eating sugar ( I know not everyone dumps). But the surgeon has suggested that the sleeve would be better ( although he didn't really look at my eating habits).
I am scared that I will be the one that never looses any weight after WLS!:hide:

My mind set after the op was this is it I have to make this work as there is no where else to go after this. Works for me. I have also decided not even to try those things that cud make me dump as it is a awful feeling I have dumped twice

I'm doing lots of research before I get told off for not knowing the facts.

I know WLS is a tool to help with losing the pounds, but what changes post-op, how do you stop yourself from eating those biscuits and cake? I know the op wont stop you on its own, so do you come out of hospital with a completely different mind set, and why now and not pre-op?

I was adamant I wanted the bypass because of the dumping and actually stopping me eating sugar ( I know not everyone dumps). But the surgeon has suggested that the sleeve would be better ( although he didn't really look at my eating habits).
I am scared that I will be the one that never looses any weight after WLS!:hide:

Well I seem to have had that honour already, sugar :wave_cry:
When you have had your op you may find your tastes have changed a lot & the things you liked pre op no longer appeal to you ... I loved chocolate, cakes etc but now they have absolutely no attraction at all. I do not dump on ANYTHING I have tried up to now but as I only seem to want the things that are good for me anyway, I am not having a problem ... just hoping it will start the lbs moving soon. Everyone is different though, but it can only be a move for the better as although I am not losing weight fast as some do, I am not gaining either & feel so much better for the healthier diet ... don't let my experience put you off though as I do not regret my op for one minute & know that I will get there eventually. Good luck, sunshine xxx :D:D

If you want to succeed you have to stop yourself. Im sure none of us go into this without being prepared to change, its such a drastic step after all.

There are plenty of succesful sleevers on here, unlike the bypass you wont have the malabsorption element but your drasticaly reduced stomach will only tolerate a small amount of food. Its really upto you they type you chose to put into it.

Good luck x

I am in the same mind set happy days, kind of last chance saloon.
I've read a lot of people say this Twinkle, where there is actually something that switches in the brain and you just don't want to eat rubbish.

Thanks Mazza, I understand you have to stop yourself but is that any different from all the times I have started a diet saying " this is it, this time I'm going to do it once and for all" only to fail yet again. After surgery you still have to diet and the make the right choices - so what I'm getting at is why will I be able to that after the op and I can't do it now.

I think of having one of those "OMG am I doing the right thing" days!

You may be like me and not dump on any sugar at all,so have to be vigilent.I do get explosive runs if I eat fatty food ie some belly pork last week!
Your tastes will change and you cant physically eat a lot so being satisfied with a small portion of what I do fancy seems to do me no harm at all.I have lost 6st and feel fantastic,never think about food/dieting/weighing at all.Its very liberating.Maz x

I do dump so I cannot have anything too sweet, including chocolate, but it's like giving up smoking, (which I loved) you want to but you know it is bad for you so the will power kicks in. I also think that I enjoy how I look now and do not want to jepodise that x yesterday I did have a bad grazing day. I am ashamed I ate so many bags of crisps but today instead of eating , I went for a bike ride for an hour. Eight months ago that would never of happened xx

Thanks Mazza, I understand you have to stop yourself but is that any different from all the times I have started a diet saying " this is it, this time I'm going to do it once and for all" only to fail yet again. After surgery you still have to diet and the make the right choices - so what I'm getting at is why will I be able to that after the op and I can't do it now.

I think of having one of those "OMG am I doing the right thing" days!

Bless you , I think we all had those pre op.

Yes it will be different because this time you will have had major surgery which will be your tool to success!

They say nothing tastes as good as skinny feels, its true - whichever route we take to get there.

Life itself tastes better and keeps on getting better its what you make of your journey that seasons your taste buds so to say

Regards

Turk101

I've read a lot of people say this Twinkle, where there is actually something that switches in the brain and you just don't want to eat rubbish.

After surgery you still have to diet and the make the right choices - so what I'm getting at is why will I be able to that after the op and I can't do it now.

Hi snooky. I can't speak as a post op person, as I am still waiting, but I have heard lots of anecdotal evidence from people who have had the op that their desires for chips, cakes, pasties, chocolate and sweets etc are hugely reduced, almost turned off.

I've also read lots of research that backs up your words "something that switches in the brain" and turns off, or puts a fawcet/dampner on our previous appetite, hunger, desire, cravings, etc.

If you google: "gastric bypass reduces appetite for fat" and "bariatric surgery reduces responses to food cues" you will find some science behind the anecdotal evidence as well.

I had my bypass 5th October, you will not be able to eat what you did pre-op due to having a pouch that will not allow you to physically fit it in, for me I have not craved any thing like chocolate since my op, if I did I would have some! Your bypass will changed your way of thinking with food, also if you over eat and I mean by just one t spoon full your pouch will soon tell you it doesnt like it! I have now found my limit thank goodness, because being sick is not nice at all believe me. Best of luck with your journey xx

Back