• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New, scared and need some advice.

Slarix

Hey,
Ah it took me a while to find this forms. I've just started my WLS journey after years (since 2012) of trying to lose weight. It was suggested by my Dr that I should be referred for WLS a few years ago but I said no due to wanting to lose it on my own... which I did then gained back more. Then I agreed that I can no longer do this, the repeat weight loss, gain and then some more. So my Dr referred me to Homerton Hospital in London for WLS. On the 19th August 2017 (just gone), I had my first appointment with a lovely lady who's the dietitian and we went threw my eating habits, past struggles of losing weight and methods I've tried. She also gave me some advice sites and other information to help with my anxiety, agoraphobia and insomnia. We also had a few laughs which helped and I felt really comfortable telling her all of my struggles both with eating and my past. I was actually terrified of this first appointment even though I've been threw it all with my mum who had WLS in 2014.

I've got an appointment on the 15th September with the Dr Sanjay Agrawal and on the letter I have it says:
Appointment Type: Bariatric Consultant FU to Assessment Appointment HUH.

I'm not sure if its the surgeon or not, I forgot to ask in my appointment because I was overwhelmed with anxiety. She also gave me a slot for the presentation on the 15th before this appointment and told me I'd need to do an ECG and blood tests on the day.

I don't know if I'm tier 3 or 4, I don't know how long this process is going to be and these are questions I'll ask on the 15th but I was just wondering if others could share there journeys and what stage/process they're currently at?

I'm also scared that I wont be able to lose weight to show how committed I am to this, although the dietitian said she doesn't go by the 5-10% lost, it's based her view on how much you're trying, the changes you make + weight loss but a percentage is too intimidating.

Anyway's that's a little bit about me, my journey so far and I hope I can talk to some of you! :)

Slarix (aged 23)

I jst had my op done 4weeks ago at Homerton. Normally you will be their 4 at Homerton and they move really quick. I had it all done in 7months x

I jst had my op done 4weeks ago at Homerton. Normally you will be their 4 at Homerton and they move really quick. I had it all done in 7months x

Oh wow, thats super fast! See, I'm scared I won't reach the criteria etc and this is something I really need..

What's your weight and height and do u have any issues. Like high bloods etc x

I thought I was 5'7, but when I went to the appointment Saturday just gone I was told I'm 5'6(& 1/2). I'm currently 309.1 lbs, I was chuffed when I found out I lost 9lbs since I last weighed myself and I have nothing that I'm aware of wrong.
My BP is fine, no sleep apnea but I do have small "problems".
I have a mild re-flux issue, major IBS and scared that I'll get Lymphedema in the legs cause its a genetic thing in my mums side of the family.

I'm so glad you responded, just wanted to say that because I'm scared on how this will all go and it's nice to speak to people who's done it at the homerton besides my mum because shes currently preparing for another op the duodenal switch.

It sounds like you're already on tier 4. Mine was the same as @jj87 at homerton - 7 months x

Ooh really? I'll make sure I ask on my next appointment to double check but I also know time-frames can change. Must have been a bit hectic to get it all done in 7 months? Also can I ask, how did you manage to lose weight to reach the requirements for the op? - I hope you don't mind me asking that.

Ooh really? I'll make sure I ask on my next appointment to double check but I also know time-frames can change. Must have been a bit hectic to get it all done in 7 months? Also can I ask, how did you manage to lose weight to reach the requirements for the op? - I hope you don't mind me asking that.
I didn't do too much to be honest. I just ate healthy and cut the rubbish out stuck to three meals a day. I still went for food out every now and again just not as often and I also started light exercises. You'll have around 15lb to lose for your 5% you've done over half of that already without realising so that's good going on your part! It wasn't hectic as overall it was a only 5 appts. I was first seen in September 15 and had my op April 16. My GP referred me in July 15 so it went pretty fast really xx

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D I look forward to hearing about your journey & if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Have you decided which surgery you would like? X

Hello and welcome, good luck with whatever you choose and please keep in touch x

I didn't do too much to be honest. I just ate healthy and cut the rubbish out stuck to three meals a day. I still went for food out every now and again just not as often and I also started light exercises. You'll have around 15lb to lose for your 5% you've done over half of that already without realising so that's good going on your part! It wasn't hectic as overall it was a only 5 appts. I was first seen in September 15 and had my op April 16. My GP referred me in July 15 so it went pretty fast really xx

Hey,
Sorry its taken me a while to respond. Been busy and had major anxiety building up to my appointments. I've now had two appointments, the first dietitian one and the Psychology one which was put on me with two days notice. I weighted myself when I found out I had the appointment and on my mums scales said I gained weight. But when I want in for my Psy appointment on the 4th I actually lost weight?! August 19th I was 309.1lbs and on the 4th September I weighed in at 302.9lbs. But I feel like I've tripped myself up because yesterday morning I left a message with the dietitian saying I'm worried I'm not losing weight because I've been a yoyo dietier and being anxious they won't think I'm trying. So I asked if she could get back to me for me to trial the milk diet, I want to know I can do it... because I don't want to get far in the journey and then suddenly fail at the last hurdle. But turns out I did lose weight, so I was panicking for nothing.

I also feel like I've messed things up with the Psy because I told her my life, from childhood because of my mental illnesses and she asked for loads of detials. Then went on to say I'm really intelligent for somebody who was in care and hasn't gone down the wrong path, but I MAY be refereed to another tier where I'd have to do WW or Slimming world instead of surgery, she said it'll be spoken about at the next team meeting. Which has shook me sideways because I've already tried all of that. I have my surgeon appointment on the 15th and I'm hoping he can see how much I need this, I can lose weight (slowly) but then it all comes back on + more. I expressed this with the dietitian when I met her. So I've been crying since I've got home over it all.

Your's seem to have gone really fast, I'm glad that it was a good journey for you <3 xx

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum! :D I look forward to hearing about your journey & if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Have you decided which surgery you would like? X

Hey,
Sorry on the late reply been busy and haven't been able to respond for a while. I think I balls my journey up to be honest (explained in reply above) - I'm just scared and feel semi alone with it all because I'm an introvert loner so I don't have many people to talk to about it all and I also don't want to be the sort of person who wines all over the forums lol.

I can't decided, thats if they let me go ahead. My mums had the bypass and says I should do it too so we can understand eachother but apparently the sleeve doesn't do as much damage as the bypass?

xx

Hey,
Sorry on the late reply been busy and haven't been able to respond for a while. I think I balls my journey up to be honest (explained in reply above) - I'm just scared and feel semi alone with it all because I'm an introvert loner so I don't have many people to talk to about it all and I also don't want to be the sort of person who wines all over the forums lol.

I can't decided, thats if they let me go ahead. My mums had the bypass and says I should do it too so we can understand eachother but apparently the sleeve doesn't do as much damage as the bypass?

xx

Don't be scared about venting your feelings on the forum, we've all been exactly where you are and I'm sure any one of us would be happy to give advice.
When you have your meetings they will explain the pros and cons of each type of surgery and the decision is ultimately yours to make. I felt more comfortable with the sleeve due to them not re-routing the bowel and I also liked the fact you are less likely to have dumping syndrome with a sleeve. 70% weight loss is expected with the bypass (obviously you can achieve more) and 65% with the sleeve but my surgeon said they tend to even out at the end. If your concerned or have more questions don't be afraid to ask on here or speak to your Bariatric nurse, it's honestly what they are there for and remember your not alone x x

Don't be scared about venting your feelings on the forum, we've all been exactly where you are and I'm sure any one of us would be happy to give advice.
When you have your meetings they will explain the pros and cons of each type of surgery and the decision is ultimately yours to make. I felt more comfortable with the sleeve due to them not re-routing the bowel and I also liked the fact you are less likely to have dumping syndrome with a sleeve. 70% weight loss is expected with the bypass (obviously you can achieve more) and 65% with the sleeve but my surgeon said they tend to even out at the end. If your concerned or have more questions don't be afraid to ask on here or speak to your Bariatric nurse, it's honestly what they are there for and remember your not alone x x

Fine, I wont be scared lol. Its true, you've all been here or had to jump threw so many hoops. I'm already upset and complaining when my journeys just started. I can't wait for my meeting and all that on the 15th, just nervous about losing more weight for it. Ah dumping syndrome my mum has that bad with her bypass even when she eats 100% good. Thats why they want to do the switch one on her. But we learned more about the bypass on her journey over the sleeve because thats what she was going for. The sleeve looks like a better option for me to be honest. So IF I do get that far I'll see what the surgeon suggests, if I don't my mental health worker said she'll appeal with me (if thats possible) - because we both think that my sucide attempts in both December and May are the reasons for them to say no. But since I've had a mental health worker, shes noticed the change in me as a person and I'm not as depressed because we're working on my life and settle goals. She thinks this will benefit my mental health, my weight causes me a lack of confidence, I don't go out due to it and feel like I can't make friends because I'd be judge for my weight.

Thank you for responding btw, its nice to have somebody to talk to :) xx

Fine, I wont be scared lol. Its true, you've all been here or had to jump threw so many hoops. I'm already upset and complaining when my journeys just started. I can't wait for my meeting and all that on the 15th, just nervous about losing more weight for it. Ah dumping syndrome my mum has that bad with her bypass even when she eats 100% good. Thats why they want to do the switch one on her. But we learned more about the bypass on her journey over the sleeve because thats what she was going for. The sleeve looks like a better option for me to be honest. So IF I do get that far I'll see what the surgeon suggests, if I don't my mental health worker said she'll appeal with me (if thats possible) - because we both think that my sucide attempts in both December and May are the reasons for them to say no. But since I've had a mental health worker, shes noticed the change in me as a person and I'm not as depressed because we're working on my life and settle goals. She thinks this will benefit my mental health, my weight causes me a lack of confidence, I don't go out due to it and feel like I can't make friends because I'd be judge for my weight.

Aww it's completely okay that your upset. The decision to have or even look into weight loss surgery is a big one but let's face it, we are all here for very similar reasons. We have tried everything to lose weight and struggled with it for the majority of our lives so we've decided to take action. Don't worry initially about losing weight, as long as your making healthier choices you are already halfway there. Once you've had a few appointments I think you'll feel a lot better about the whole thing.

I understand the lack of confidence and I hope that will only get better in time for you and you have a whole new bunch of friends to support you on this forum :) if you ever want to talk privately about your struggles then feel free to post on my profile and I will send my personal email. (I know it can be a bit daunting posting about mental health struggles so publicly on the forum). Hope you start feeling better soon xx

Hi @Slarix , And ....welcome to the forum.
I can't really offer you much advice, As...I'm also at the beginning of the WLS journey.
Though I will add, I have suffered quite bad with my mental health in the past, still have my moments now....though not so bad.
And, I got passed to have surgery.
I've known others too, who have had bad mental health problems....where they have been passed for surgery too.
That said, As, it's going to be an emotional rollercoaster , before... And, definatly after the surgery...they do need to make sure we can handle it.
I think like you....I think it may improve our mental health in the long term.

Wishing you every success in your journey.
Good Luck x

Toni :rainbow:

I too suffer lousy mental health, including suicide attempts in the past so pleased you are getting some support, as it really does help. When they do the psychology assessment as part of the work up, they will want to check that you know why you overeat. Hopefully your mental health worker will make sure you get any necessary counselling before and after. You are going in the right direction. It can seem a long wait to go through the process but it does help to have the time to get your head around all that is involved and why you are where you are.

Hey. Congratulations on dropping them pounds. How u feeling ATM. U heard from homerton

Aww it's completely okay that your upset. The decision to have or even look into weight loss surgery is a big one but let's face it, we are all here for very similar reasons. We have tried everything to lose weight and struggled with it for the majority of our lives so we've decided to take action. Don't worry initially about losing weight, as long as your making healthier choices you are already halfway there. Once you've had a few appointments I think you'll feel a lot better about the whole thing.

I understand the lack of confidence and I hope that will only get better in time for you and you have a whole new bunch of friends to support you on this forum :) if you ever want to talk privately about your struggles then feel free to post on my profile and I will send my personal email. (I know it can be a bit daunting posting about mental health struggles so publicly on the forum). Hope you start feeling better soon xx

Hey,
I need to try and be a bit more active on here. Been busy once again and off rails. I didn't lose any weight for my last appointment infact I "gained a stone" which I saw coming because I've been fighting a chronic back ache and my period was late by 7 days (on now). So when I went to see the surgeon he didn't even talk to me hardly, he asked me about my problems and then asked if I had any questions about the surgeries but prior to that I had a seminar that explained them all (which I already knew due to research and the journey with my mum) so I said no. I think he think's I was being smug about knowing it all when I wasn't. I just didn't have any questions...

I feel like it's a BIG FAT NO already. I've been dieting, taken out fizzy drinks and all that. Completely switched up my eating habits and this happens, so now I'm lowering my calories too 1000-1200 calories a day. I need to lose weight before the 28th (next appointment physio) to prove I can do this. Which now even I'm doubtful because I've been exercising and eating better. I feel worse haha, after yesterday I got to my moms and started crying my eyes out because I feel like a failure when this is something I'm so sure about.

Yeah, I'd love to talk to your privately to be honest, so I'll drop you a message in a bit. It's just hetic for me right now. Soarry for the mini rants too :p xx

Back