• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When did you pay for your operation?

Lippyloirston

I am self funding and would like to know if you paid for your surgery before or after the operation? Many thanks for your help.

I paid for mine 1 week before the op :)

I paid a deposit about a month before the procedure, which was also a week or so before my assessment meeting, discussion with the surgeon and tests etc and was told then that the deposit (c. 10% of the total) would be refundable if I cancelled before the assessment meeting, but retained if I went to the assessment and then cancelled.

Which was fair enough, I think.

My provider offered a 10 months interest free option through a third party, so I chose that and the first payment of the balance went out exactly one month post the surgery (so, mid July 2013 in my case).

HTH.

I was asked to pay 10% at my consultation if I wanted to book a date, then the balance a week before op, as I had already organised a bank loan I paid it all at consultation.

I paid ten days before op - thank you credit card!!

My pre-op surgeon meeting was covered by my package from last July :ashamed0005: so I only had to pay a week to 10 days before, or whenever I liked. Got fantastic air miles with Amex, enough to get a free flight to the Caribbean :character00180: . paid off in full so no interest paid.

I can't remember exactly but definitely before, I think it was about a month.

I was told we could pay it the morning of the op but we paid it 2 weeks before.

Thanks everyone, it's so strange that no-one has mentioned payment. Do you think if I keep quiet they might forget! Lol
Better get my finances in order, I hope this is this most painful bit.

I had to pay my provider for the first consultation. Also had to pay the shrink and for my barium swallow (re my second op I had done at the same time). All bloods were done via my NHS GP. I then got a package price for my bypass from the hospital and paid about 10days in advance. It covered all my care, but I had a bill to pay for meds on discharge (about £35).

Worth every penny!

I paid £500 at the time of booking. The remainder had to be paid 14 days before the op, and I did get a letter from THG a few days before the balance was due.

Make sure you haggle! The price isn't set in stone. I was with the hospital group and got £2.5k off the price by asking and being cheeky, taking a cancellation and being flexible. Well worth asking!

I'm with Sar2567 on this one to haggle. I managed to get THG down £2,000 x

Ohhhhhh I enjoy a good haggle plus the paying by credit card is a fab idea *Thinks of all the Tesco points* :)

Mine was a week before surgery - payment in full. Stuck it on the credit card and got 15 thousand airmiles. Then got a cheap bank loan (does surgery come under the home improvement category - worked for me, after all it has improved my home life ;)) and paid off the credit card before I got stuck with any ridiculous interest rate charges. :)

AE.

I am privately funding, and had to pay a deposit prior to my initial consultation, and I have to pay the balance a week to 10 days before my operation. It was a big decision as it is a lot of money, but I have watched my dads life changing dramatically since his bypass 2 years ago and feel it will be worth it to get my life back.

I payed in full on the 6th of this month £5,550 but my operation is not due until 4th of November (Gastric sleeve) I was concerned with paying the price in full upfront especially that my op was Not due until 4th November :( I was offered a sooner date but at the time I was in the Thinking stage and needed time to decide but I lost the slot and had to wait almost 2months. The deal was three nights in 4* hotel plus Two nights at the Hospital. In additon I had to pay an extra nights Hotel as I wanted to feel relaxed and chilled out and the Flights to France. What shocked me most was the Bloody Insurance costs for Selective Surgery. but hay its been a longtime coming and I cant wait for the New Me!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies. It's amazing the range of prices the same operation is being charged. Never thought to haggle :(

I didn't think to haggle either, my GP said after idd done the deal that I should have haggled!! Am shocked how much cheaper the op is in France I didn't even think of looking there, I was just so relieved to find someone to do it I said yes before I could compare prices etc x

I googled Gastric sleeves and the company come up over and over again plus when I youtubed the Operation there was an advert for the same company so I though why not give them a quick email and well it just rolled out from there. I spoke to a well educated ex pat in France she then emailed me around 50+ recipants who has had the Procedure in the uk and I have called about Three of them and got there Experience of the care plan and well a little more they dont tell you but I did expect the gory bits lol

Back