• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When do you start the preparation

Jen1961

Is on her way!
How soon do you need to start preparing your post op diet of pureed foods? Is is ok to have things blended and frozen weeks/maybe months in advance? What sort of things are good to freeze and use in that time of pureed foods post op?

Thanks for any help or advice x

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
it depends on what type of freezer you have really. I'm doing all mine now to last for the next 6 weeks or so. My freezer has a sticker on it saying not to keep stuff in for more than 3 months.

I've pureed some cottage pie, quorn bolognese, chicken soup so far. Would welcome some other ideas.

suepat10

I have no idea on this but thank you for asking as this will help when my time 'comes' x

Jen1961

Is on her way!
it depends on what type of freezer you have really. I'm doing all mine now to last for the next 6 weeks or so. My freezer has a sticker on it saying not to keep stuff in for more than 3 months.

I've pureed some cottage pie, quorn bolognese, chicken soup so far. Would welcome some other ideas.

Thanks, these sound like things I like to eat and can start to prepare similar. ;)

I look forward to more 'tasty' suggestions.

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
just to add that i've worked out the protein and carb amounts per tiny portion and the two tablespoons of quorn bolognese which would constitute one meal, only provide 2.5g protein each, so I think I'm going to buy some protein powder to add to my pureed meals.

Kevin1708

. . . the foods you think you will enjoy or tolerate today may be greatly different to those post op . . . your tastes do change quite dramatically. Post op you won’t be just popping along to the freezer and taking out a ‘meal’ like the old days. I think you may waist money be preparing so far in advance. Wait ‘till you get home and see how you feel . . . xx

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I see your point kevin and will try not to make too much. I'm just worried about being tempted if I'm not prepared in those first few weeks.

Just made some yummy chicken in tarragon sauce.
Fried the chicken in that new flora low fat cooking stuff. Made the sauce with chicken stock, garlic, onion, tarragon, black pepper and half fat creme fraiche.
It looked and smelt gorgeous.

Then I put it in the blender and now it looks like baby food lol.

Montana

Maybe make some stuff up and freeze it in ice cube trays then you only need to pop one or two cubes out at a time rather than have lots of big tubs of wasted food. That's my plan anyway, whether it works though is another story :)

Someone mentioned in a thread I posted similar to this that fish pie can be ok pureed.

H x

Jen1961

Is on her way!
Kevin1708 said:
. . . the foods you think you will enjoy or tolerate today may be greatly different to those post op . . . your tastes do change quite dramatically. Post op you won't be just popping along to the freezer and taking out a 'meal' like the old days. I think you may waist money be preparing so far in advance. Wait 'till you get home and see how you feel . . . xx

You've made some really good points here Kevin that I hadn't thought about. Thanks. X