• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When is it ok?

Eve30

Hi- my surgeon said I can drive and lift after 2 weeks but can't for the life of me remember what the guidelines were re exercising? Can I start swimming already 2 weeks post op or is it too soon? And what about the body combat type classes? Thanks

Although I've not had a sleeve this is the information from my own provider about their suggestions if they do a sleeve (its in my band info so thought I would post up and share lol)

Gentle walking almost immediately and then gradually increase duration of daily walking up to 30 mins over the next 7-10 days. Swimming and low-intensity gym activities (not sit-ups) can be resumed 3-4 weeks after surgery, assuming wounds are fully healed.

Strangely enough, the info above for the sleeve isn't much different to the band info LOL

For me - exercise was gentle stuff (walking) as soon as I felt okay (so within the week) - progressing this with longer and more often walks.

Then I moved onto the exercise bike (at a low setting) after 6 weeks for 20 mins a day.

I used the exercise bike instead of an actual bike to allow me to set the setting without any of those pesky hills getting in the way and making me strain tummy muscles when I didn't need to at that point.

Much exercise after that has been based on both (rising) my fitness levels and listening to my body for any aches or pains - but primarily dealing with cardiovascular exercise (aerobics classes/exercise bike/steeper machine).

Around the 10 week mark, I stated some resistance work (kettle bells) and more abdominal specific exercises and then only very recently some weight training for both more resistance work as well as giving more upper body strength.

I can't suggest re body combat type classes as they have never really appealed to me (I don't like being hit :) ).

muttley i love it! you've just given me the perfect excuse not to go to body combat!

I'm just going for gentle walks, but then i'm only 4 days post surgery. surprising how knackered i was!

I guess its learning to listen to your body and not pushing. Yoga and Pilates have always been my thing, but I am also joining a tap dancing class because I felt like doing something a bit different! (not till I move to aylesbury though)

xxx

Back