• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When should I hve surgery

cando

Hi everyone, I hope you can help. I am having a gastric band, but I am doing a charity cycle ride in March in the Caribean. The date for the op is 5 April, but the date for the cycle ride is 5 March. I obviously need to train as much as I can before March.

If I have the surgery in Jan will I re resticted in anyway - training, eating etc. Do you think I really should wait until i come back.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I have to make my mind up PDQ. Surgery is at THG

Thank you so much.

Hi and welcome to minis. I cant give you any advise as I had bypass but there are lots of banders on here that will be able to offer you some advice...good luck in both things chick...xx

Hi everyone, I hope you can help. I am having a gastric band, but I am doing a charity cycle ride in March in the Caribean. The date for the op is 5 April, but the date for the cycle ride is 5 March. I obviously need to train as much as I can before March.

If I have the surgery in Jan will I re resticted in anyway - training, eating etc.

Do you think I really should wait until i come back.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I have to make my mind up PDQ. Surgery is at THG

Thank you so much.

hi cando and welcome, i was pretty sore after my operation and it took me approx 6 weeks to recover from my band op. most people go back to work 4-6 weeks after an op, it will all depend on how you feel after your op, different people feel different levels of restriction after a band but the initial restriction felt is normally only down to the swelling after the trauma of surgery. some surgeons do put a small fill in during surgery to give ppl a head start. if you go ahead you wont be able to train for a few weeks.
personally i would wait until after the race to be banded just incase, you are to sore to take part, have a word with your surgeon see what he advises also.

good luck

liz x

I would advise you to have the band fitted after the cycle ride. It can be very tender for a few weeks. I am 3weeks post banding and still feel sore around the incisions they made. The scars are still very red too. Ask your surgeon for advice. Take care R x

Back