• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where do the Hospital Group have hopsital + Mr Alan Li

EmmaLouise81

Hi,

Still going in circles trying to figure out where to have the operation and it is getting no easier.

Do not want to ring The Hospital Group as they go on too much and I can not bare it at the moment so a family member did so and was told Mr Alan Li would have a consultaion in Belfast soon.

I had never heard of Mr Alan Li before but from what I see online he seems good but has anyone first-hand experience with him as a surgeon?

Also...I was under the impression they do the operation in birmingham but was told it could be Manchester. Are these the only hopsital options or do they have more?

Any advice, as always, appreciated!

I had my surgery with Mr Alan Li at the Spire Regency in Macclesfield, I am NHS but my PCT send you to a private hospital, hence going there. Mr Li is a lovely man, very friendly and approachable, he has a sort of self assured confidence in his abilites but is not arrogant with it. I can guarantee that he is a good surgeon as he did my bypass and I have had no problems post-op, I totally adore the man!!! I expected that I would be treated slightly differently than the private patients but I seriously dont think that I was, he was simply lovely. One thing that I will say is that he is fond of using surgical glue to close the wounds during the op (myself and one other member have said the same thing) and I kind of wish that he had stitched the wounds instead. I think the idea with glue is that your scars are less noticeable than with stitches but to be honest my external glue didnt hold very well and whilst my scars around bad, I feel that they may have been a bit better with stitches, so maybe ask him to use stitches instead of glue.
That is all I can say though, everything else has been brilliant and I consider him to be my saviour, without his help I wouldnt be doing so well.
So yep, Mr Li is a fab surgeon and from what I know of him, he is a fab person in general.
Good luck xx
Steph xx

Oh thank you Steph...that puts my mind at rest and seeing how wonderful you look is a boost.

Will make sure I metion the glue/stiches issue...would never have even thought of something like that!

Hi, my hubby is having his bypass at the Manchester Hospital on 27.07.2010. We met Mr Li in Belfast though his Flight was delayed so his appointments that day were all held up. But everyone waiting for him chatted and it was good to get different opinions, we were all there for the same reason. We found him lovely, very reassuring. Everyone else did too. My hubby has existing medical conditions and this was a factor in the decision to do surgery in Manchester. Mr Li lives there. We've to stay on a couple of days longer, just in case theres a problem Mr Li is only 10 minutes away from hospital. Steph, your answer was very reassuring to me, hubby's on milk diet now, doing well, this is day 3, has a really bad headache. I hope this will go in the next few days.

Jemx xo

Hi, my hubby is having his bypass at the Manchester Hospital on 27.07.2010. We met Mr Li in Belfast though his Flight was delayed so his appointments that day were all held up. But everyone waiting for him chatted and it was good to get different opinions, we were all there for the same reason. We found him lovely, very reassuring. Everyone else did too. My hubby has existing medical conditions and this was a factor in the decision to do surgery in Manchester. Mr Li lives there. We've to stay on a couple of days longer, just in case theres a problem Mr Li is only 10 minutes away from hospital. Steph, your answer was very reassuring to me, hubby's on milk diet now, doing well, this is day 3, has a really bad headache. I hope this will go in the next few days.

Jemx xo

Oh Jem that is great, hope all goes well for your husband...please let us know how he gets on.

I have a consultation in Belfast with Mr Li next week, I was nervous about it all my aunt rang and arranged it and said the op would be in Manchester. I was shocked as had always been told by THG it would be in Birmingham. Manchester is better as it is easier to get too...but when I second checked this again I was told it would be Birmingham.

Really hope it is Manchester.

How long was our first meeting with Mr Li? Sorry for all the questions...just so nervous!

You see him 1st and then your patient care consultant. Fancy name, for someone who does the paperwork, can answer any additional questions you may have and takes payment. Your appointment with him can be for how long you want. He does height, weight and BMI and then discusses your eating habits and then advises, on what surgery is best, where you'll go to have it and what pre-op diet he'll want you to do. We were quite unprepared. We both had wondered if the surgery could be done at all given previous medical history. This had been our concern, so once he'd said no problem to doing op, I really didn't know what else to ask. You being on this site should help you, gives you loads of info on what to ask. I had to go back to Linda (this is our patient care consultant she's based in cork) to ask further questions. Some from our GP. But she has answered them all or contacted the relevant people to get the answers for us. Doctor Li also sent a letter to our GP, we got a copy detailing what his conclusion was and what surgery he felt best. Today completes day 7 of the milk diet and hubby's doing really well, feeling better now on it. Certainly he'd doing alot better than I thought he would. I'm starting now to think about packing we go on Sunday. Hubby not thinking about it at all, I think if he did he'd start running and never stop lol. Hope your consultation goes well, write all your questions down on a notepad and take it with you so you can ask and not forget. Good Luck and yes I'll let you know how we go.

Jem xo

I had surgery at THG with Mr Li and he hardly said 2 words to me, never came to see how I was doing after the operation, have to go back in for further surgery because the port wasn't positioned correctly the first time round. From day 1 it wasn't right, 3 nurses struggled to get in the port, the 3rd who is the head nurse, 150 fills a week couldn't get in, port had flipped over, not good

The hospital group do their band surgery at Dolan park but bypass surgery is done in various NHS hospitals with a private or ward or at private hospitals with a critical care dept as it is a higher risk hospital. I chose THG as Dolan is just up the road but ended up having surgery at the spire in Birmingham.

Back