• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

where do you stand on telling people?

charlie_pops

seen a few people recently that i havnt seen for years and got lovely reactions of oh havnt you done well, looking good ect but then i find myself blurting out that ive had a bypass. i dont know what makes me say it and they dont ask how ive done it. does anyone else do this? ive had more of a re action to the 'oh ive had a bypass' blurting out. all positive, mainly people saying im very brave or mental.

I know that many of my friends work very hard to keep their weight off or lose weight. And I never want to make mockery of their efforts. While I don't believe wls is the easy way out I do believe its a game changer. And so I'm honest with people.

I'm honest with people and have only had one person call me a cheat! But when explained to them exactly what is required of a person having had a bypass they quickly apologised and said it sounded tough. For me working in a surgical background I felt I wouldn't get away with not telling people the truth and I'm happy with my op.

I'm still pre op but I won't be telling anyone I find it abit embarressing I know I should'nt as its this surgery that will give me my life back but "skinny" people just don't understand the heartache we go through being fat and I feel if I said anything I would be ridiculed or called a cheat so the only people who know are my mum and dad my sister and my best friend and they've been sworn to secrecy lol

I kept it a secret except from those who needed to know as it would have been obvious, my OH, my mum, sis and best friend. I've now started telling some of my other friends (9months post op and 8.5 stone down) as I'm not so embarrassed now that it's worked!

It's incredible how many people ask how you've done it. They are so bloody nosey!

I'm with you on this one kirstyjade x

Part of me wanted to be accountable as well I think. I wanted people to know so there was no going back. Failure was not/is not an option for me, I will do whatever it takes.

I have told everyone I know firstly because I am a horrendous liar! (meaning I am bad at telling them - not that I do it all the time!!) No one has belittled me and everyone says how brave you were and how well you look now etc etc. I think if you lose alot of weight quickly people will wonder anyway! So I thought honesty is the best policy and if anyone thinks I have taken the easy way out that is THEIR problem, I couldn't care less what they think really cos I am chuffed to bits!! :D

I am with kirstyjade on this one too x. close family know. (very close, lol if they don't live same country. I have not told them) Husband can not tell his sister or anyone! I think its personal choice though. If comfortable to tell, tell. I don't know how I will be post op! I could be announcing it from the roof tops if i get back into a size 12. Lol full page announcement in the Sunday times ;)

I am with kirstyjade on this one too x. close family know. (very close, lol if they don't live same country. I have not told them) Husband can not tell his sister or anyone! I think its personal choice though. If comfortable to tell, tell. I don't know how I will be post op! I could be announcing it from the roof tops if i get back into a size 12. Lol full page announcement in the Sunday times ;)

That's the thing, we may feel totally different and want to tell the world when it's done and we've seen results :)

I have no wish, desire or motivation to tell anyone about my band. Its none of anyone else's business. As such, even my family do not know. My mum would if she were alive, but my Dad/Brother/Sister/Stepdad do not know, only one who does is my Son and my Aunt.

I am not ashamed of having a band, its just no-one else's business.

I have no wish, desire or motivation to tell anyone about my band. Its none of anyone else's business. As such, even my family do not know. My mum would if she were alive, but my Dad/Brother/Sister/Stepdad do not know, only one who does is my Son and my Aunt.

I am not ashamed of having a band, its just no-one else's business.

That's fair enough Kat, everyone is different. Well done on loosing so much :)

post op i only told my mam and dad cos i live with them and 3 very close friends i was going through the stages. on the day i got my date i sort of announced it on fb ( partly cos i was drunk celebrating and partly cos i thought stuff everyone) now post op and i can see the results i just blurt it out. i can understand some people want to keep it to them selves and thats brilliant too but like borogirl i have a big mouth and tend to know loads of people from working in bars at the weekend. it got me thinking tho maybe its because were more confident post op? i was a pretty outgoing person before the op because of my job but now im not so insecure about myself as i used to be.

That's exactly what I was thinking charlie_pops... I hope I get to that stage where I don't care what people think. x

I didn't tell anyone per op but when I started getting all the lovely comments and people asking how I have done it I just can't lie so just say that I have had a little bit of help. Everyone has just been really supportive

Back